E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

KDS Geometry Alignment.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='724984' date='Nov 19 2008, 11:20 AM
what are the sai and castor figures Palmo, i cant make them out on your sheet ?
Think if you save the picture to your computer, then open it, most picture viewers have the facility to enlarge the picture which may help.

Figures are as follows:

SAI = Left: 13 Deg, 31' (out of spec)
Right: 13 Deg, 32' (out of spec)
Target: 14 Deg, 59' (with + 0 Deg, 30' // - 0 Deg, 30')

I therefore believe this reading is approx. 1 Deg below the min.

Caster = Left: 6 Deg, 49'
Right: 7 Deg, 06'
Target: Not specified.

Thanks again.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Members

My Ride: [s]07 E60 535d LCI.Silver.172.Hifi.Ipod.Rear Tints.M Spoiler.[/s] 07 B7 RS4 Avant Misano Red 54 E87 120d Sport Sparkling Graphite

I had my E60 check with the KDS system. Very similar figures for SAI. Didnt think at the time to question it too much. Since then Ive done another 18k miles, only rear signs of wear are on the outside shoulders of the front tyres... Still not that impressed with the handling, just feels a bit heavy and stodgy.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by dubbers' post='725482' date='Nov 19 2008, 08:58 PM
I had my E60 check with the KDS system. Very similar figures for SAI. Didnt think at the time to question it too much. Since then Ive done another 18k miles, only rear signs of wear are on the outside shoulders of the front tyres... Still not that impressed with the handling, just feels a bit heavy and stodgy.

Dubbers,

Thanks for posting your results. The first thing that struck me was that the target data for yours is different - only slightly, but all the same different in most cases. I then see that the software version on yours was dated Aug 15 2005, whilst mine is dated Jul 21 2008. This means that the software version for yours was pre-LCI, and mine post-LCI. Anyway, that said - I don't think it makes any difference as our actual alignment figures are very similar throughout.

Even more interesting is how similar - and out of spec - the SAI figures are. You say you are not impressed with the handling. I would have to say I have a different opinion of mine, if drives extremely well and handles flawlessly on A road's. My previous car was a Subaru Impreza set-up with group N Rally geometry settings - so my BMW has a tough act to follow in terms of outright handling! However, mine is just terrible when driving in a straight line in a cross wind on the motorway. I would be interested to know how yours performs in windy conditions - bearing in mind that our geometry set-up is so similar!

In reality, I know that my car would benefit from having a set of new tyres, as these are worn unevenly and past their best. However, I know for a fact that these aren't the cause of the instability as it has done this from day 1 - even with brand new tyres, when driven in the right conditions.

Look forward to hearing from you about your 'cross wind' experiences!
Old 11-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='724992' date='Nov 19 2008, 12:32 PM
Think if you save the picture to your computer, then open it, most picture viewers have the facility to enlarge the picture which may help.

Figures are as follows:

SAI = Left: 13 Deg, 31' (out of spec)
Right: 13 Deg, 32' (out of spec)
Target: 14 Deg, 59' (with + 0 Deg, 30' // - 0 Deg, 30')

I therefore believe this reading is approx. 1 Deg below the min.

Caster = Left: 6 Deg, 49'
Right: 7 Deg, 06'
Target: Not specified.

Thanks again.
Imo for the sai and caster to be the issue, you would experience instability and the car pulling to the side in non cross wind conditions. It would be nice to see the caster the same both sides but i would be very surprised if thats the problem.
If it were my car id have to rule out corner weights, if it is the sai as you believe it isnt going to be easy to rectify.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Members

My Ride: [s]07 E60 535d LCI.Silver.172.Hifi.Ipod.Rear Tints.M Spoiler.[/s] 07 B7 RS4 Avant Misano Red 54 E87 120d Sport Sparkling Graphite

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='725615' date='Nov 19 2008, 11:11 PM
....However, mine is just terrible when driving in a straight line in a cross wind on the motorway. I would be interested to know how yours performs in windy conditions - bearing in mind that our geometry set-up is so similar!
I'd describe the general steering on fast B roads as stodgy and slow witted. A lot of effort is required to man handle the steering wheel - even at high speed. Though it remains accurate, feedback is nil from the tyres. As a result I have no idea about how much grip the tyres have. Specifically in windy/blustery conditions this lack of feedback results in a lot of steering wheel twitching more often than not over correcting by a tiny amount. Although not a rally driver, I am a vet of the Nurburgring so I wouldnt consider myself completely witless at the helm. For direct comparison my other ride, a B7 RS4 with a similar kerb weight and weight distribution is sensitive, quick witted and full of feedback. Although I wouldnt expect the 5er to be within 50% of the alacrity its not really much into double digits in my opinion.

If I had the time, I'd get the car booked in with an indie which has Pro-Align kit. Have you the stamina to pursue the issue any further? It would be good to get another KDS report from an owner who is satisified with steering in windy conditions.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Members

Palmo, did you get your cross wind instability sorted?

I've finally changed my front tyres to Goodyear Asymetric F1's (from the OE continentals) and overall grip is better aswell as noise. The steering has deadened a little but I guess that could in part be due to tyre pressures. The car is a lot more surefooted with the GY tyres all round, tho' still not perfect.