E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

K&N Air Filter for our E60's

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

I've never thought them to be worthwhile, on a cost or any other basis. Considering that engineers designed the air intake system around certain flow rates, how is increasing that air flow rate going to make anything better? Leaner is not better.

One thing that some people do crave however is more intake aural "moan," as it makes them feel they are going faster....or something. Personally, I dislike the "moan" of the stock air intake system; I don't know if it is "tuned" for the sports package or not, but I think it is too obvious, and a bit annoying after a while.

I would have much preferred a bit of basso profundo in the exhaust department to the air intake noise.

Ray Hull
Old 12-23-2005, 07:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='214928' date='Dec 23 2005, 10:55 AM
I've never thought them to be worthwhile, on a cost or any other basis. Considering that engineers designed the air intake system around certain flow rates, how is increasing that air flow rate going to make anything better? Leaner is not better.

One thing that some people do crave however is more intake aural "moan," as it makes them feel they are going faster....or something. Personally, I dislike the "moan" of the stock air intake system; I don't know if it is "tuned" for the sports package or not, but I think it is too obvious, and a bit annoying after a while.

I would have much preferred a bit of basso profundo in the exhaust department to the air intake noise.

Ray Hull
Many modern cars have the ability to adjust for some increased air flow and, thus, not to lean out inordinately. So, provided there is no other bottleneck in the system, improved air flow will help. But, just a K&N adds so little, as you indicate, why bother? Also, some cars tend to run a bit rich so a little leaning is a good thing for them. I kind of like the moan. I'd better since I have ordered the Dinan CAI for my car.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I have one. Had it for almost a year and a half (when K&N came out with it).
Yes, it requires maintenance - which I do.
It did make a difference in the intake sound - could hear it sucking more - at least until I put the B&B on.
Official Butt-Dyno tests didn't seem to indicate any increase.
I've been using K&N drop in's in all my cars for the past 15 years.
Never had any MAF foulings, or any other issues.
Is it worth the $$? Probably not. Do I still use them? Yes.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='214955' date='Dec 23 2005, 12:51 PM
I have one. Had it for almost a year and a half (when K&N came out with it).
Yes, it requires maintenance - which I do.
It did make a difference in the intake sound - could hear it sucking more - at least until I put the B&B on.
Official Butt-Dyno tests didn't seem to indicate any increase.
I've been using K&N drop in's in all my cars for the past 15 years.
Never had any MAF foulings, or any other issues.
Is it worth the $$? Probably not. Do I still use them? Yes.
If you are happy, then I am. And, a K&N shouldn't hurt if oiled properly. Hey, are you going to do some more GT2ing? Did you see that I switched to a GT2 after seeing your readout? I wanted all that intermediate data without doing full 1/4 miles. The two types of meters seem to read consistently, but I have not yet gone to the extreme of using them side by side. I think I am hesitant to do so since if they read differently, then I would not know which tended to be more correct on average without doing many runs at a dragstrip--which I am not going to do. If you do any tests, then I hope you will indicate what settings you use. And, posting them on my latest G-meter thread would be cool to keep all our data in one place. Merry Xmas amigo.

Incidentally, the Dinan intake I have ordered comes with an oiled filter, but Dinan wants you to buy a replacement rather that re-oiling. But, that's what I always have done anyway.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Testing probably wont happen until the spring. The roads around here are already quite sandy and the snows don't give good traction.
If I can get the right conditions, I'll dust off the G-Timer as I'd like to see if there is a difference with the lighter weight wheels.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='215035' date='Dec 23 2005, 05:52 PM
Testing probably wont happen until the spring. The roads around here are already quite sandy and the snows don't give good traction.
If I can get the right conditions, I'll dust off the G-Timer as I'd like to see if there is a difference with the lighter weight wheels.
I think you are likely to see a difference. As a practical matter, my wheels and tires are really the only mods I have. That is, I doubt that my throttle body and the B&B add enought HP to yield a consistently measureable difference--maybe .1 on average.