E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

K&N Air Filter for our E60's

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 05:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Cold Weaher Pkg, Navi, L7, adaptive bi-xenon's, Silver Grey w/ Dakota Black Leather

Just wondering if anybody has a K&N drop in filter in their E60. What is the part # and how much did you pay? Also where did you get it and is there any noticable difference in power and/or mileage? Thanks!
Old 12-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by lakerpride05' post='214746' date='Dec 22 2005, 09:58 PM
Just wondering if anybody has a K&N drop in filter in their E60. What is the part # and how much did you pay? Also where did you get it and is there any noticable difference in power and/or mileage? Thanks!
Personally, I believe that drop-in K&N's are not worth it (even free) on any car. In this regard, consider the lbs / HP ratio of, for example, a 545i before and after a K&N drop-in: 3,814 / 325 versus 3,814 / [325 + 3 (if lucky)]. There is essentially no difference in the two ratios; thus, there will be no noticeable performance difference from the K&N. I am equally convinced that a K&N will not improve gas mileage to any noticeable or consistently measureable extent.

Besides adding at most an unnoticeably and essentially unmeasureable amount of HP, a K&N may foul one's MAF especially if not oiled properly. If I ever use one again, then I will simply throw it away and get a new one rather than taking a chance on re-oiling. In this regard, a fouled MAF probably would not be covered under warranty because the part likely causing the problem is an after market part. This scenario is even more likely to eventuate because replacement filters are provided free by BMW under it "free" service agreement.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lakerpride05' post='214746' date='Dec 22 2005, 06:58 PM
Don't bother.

No noticeable HP gains (regardless of what the numbers might say, or purport to say) and there is no noticeable difference in engine grunt either.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Waste of money, and, worse, risk MAF fouling.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Cold Weaher Pkg, Navi, L7, adaptive bi-xenon's, Silver Grey w/ Dakota Black Leather

Thanks I think I'll keep away
Old 12-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Senior Members

What does MAF stand for?
Old 12-23-2005, 12:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by lakerpride05' post='214746' date='Dec 23 2005, 03:58 AM
These kind of air filters require more maintenance than standard BMW filters ... You have to clean them often, and you have also to use a special oil to sprau on before refitting it on the engine.

These "racing" filters are more efficient for small dirties, but forget it if you hope to have some more power on such a car !

Often, people fit them to have a more "racing" music from the engine : in fact you can ear the engine breathing when you push the right pedal to the metal.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six

K&N filters have much more quality than the regular filters.

Yes they are very expensive. Probably you won't notice difference in the engine power but don't forget that were are talking in big engines.

If used in a correct way they are safe.

In smaller engines the difference can be felt and in turbo charged engines.

I tried once in a BMW 316 Ti and the difference was there. A little more fast and YES the fuel comnsumption decreased.

If i'm going to install one in my 530d ? Probably no ! You know why ? It's difficult to feel the difference on that kind of power, two hundred and something HP .....
Old 12-23-2005, 02:41 AM
Senior Members

I got SOC FANS to bring in one for me from the USA. The part number is 2294. I'm just trying it out because when I used it on my Alfa Romeo years ago, there were noticable differences.

So, far, I can assure you that there is no change in noise. So unlike the one I used years ago. Secondly, I have driven my 545 at low and high speeds with this filter fitted and there really is no difference in butt feeling. This may be psychological, but I do notice the rev needle seems to move more freely.

If you ask me now, I'd say, don't waste your time on the K&N for such a big engine.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:03 AM
caf
Members

This is one of those controversial automotive issues. There is considerable hype on the part of aftermarket air filter makers, but I believe it's mostly hype. I've seen some very good INDEPENDENT tests of BMW oem vs. K&N, for instance, that show the K&N to be inferior in dirt filtration, with no gain in horsepower either. I can't find the one for BMW right now, but here's a similar test for GM applications:

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

In a racing application, one can achieve greater air flow with K&N style cone filters. In that application, letting some extra dust through isn't an issue--you're going to be re-building the motor every 100 hrs. or so anyway. For most of us, though, longevity of the engine is more of an issue. [It should also be pointed out that cone filters may perform worse on the street than O.E.M.. That's because unless the engine compartment is receiving considerable fresh air flow, as in track speeds, the cone filter just sucks in a lot of hot air around the engine.]

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter for our E60's