E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Just replaced the amp in the trunk ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, sports package, logic 7 + changer, dvd navi, front heated seats + steering wheel

Originally Posted by westal' post='412157' date='Apr 10 2007, 12:15 PM
I can take some pics, just not sure when I'll have time to do it. I posted the above because I think at least some will read it
and know exactly how to get it done. There can be variances - e.g. if your amp has terminal posts (+/-) for line level ins, then
the RCA cable hack is not necessary. I used 22 gauge wire for the remote turn on lead. Some may want to bolt down their
amp instead of velcro, etc.

I am not sure if this was stated, is your system a logic 7? I know I have subs under the seat and I have a logic 7. or would the system even matter? I don't think it would, as long as there are subs under the seat?
Old 04-10-2007, 02:23 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by 6spd' post='412214' date='Apr 10 2007, 06:07 PM
I am not sure if this was stated, is your system a logic 7? I know I have subs under the seat and I have a logic 7. or would the system even matter? I don't think it would, as long as there are subs under the seat?
Only thing is that the Logic 7 probably has a better amp to start with, so could see less of a gain.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='412217' date='Apr 10 2007, 05:23 PM
Only thing is that the Logic 7 probably has a better amp to start with, so could see less of a gain.
Yep that's exactly my thoughts on it. The picture Andy posted above (location of amp) shows his Logic7 amp, and it is WAY bigger
in size than the one I took out. The standard amp is rather ridiculously small, light, and chincy feeling.

The Logic7 amp looks (in size) about the same as the Thunder 280 I just put in. Of course, just because an amp is big
doesn't necessarily mean it is good, so there might still be a pretty big improvement.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Members

Here is another section that I should've put in my above walk thru. Might be helpful.

Old Amp Removal

To get to the old amp (E60), remove the center carpet peice and then remove
the left rear trunk liner. (The battery is below the right rear trunk liner)
You should see the small amp mounted above the wheel well.

First remove the connector harness from the amp. This harness has 2 parts -
and inner and outer part. The outer part will slide to one side, and as it
slides, the housing as a whole will begin to back out of the slot on the amp.
It's a neat connector, and I believe you slide it to the left.

Now remove the amp entirely. It is held in place to its mounting plate by a
slender bar that slides through "hoops" that are on both the amp and the plate.
You should see a black metal tab to the right of the amp that is the end of
this metal tab. Pull the tab out to the right.

Oh and the first couple of songs that knocked my socks off when I got this amp installed:
Billie Jean (Michael Jackson)
Funkytown (Lipps, Inc.)

Try 'em out - they both have made great "demo" tunes when showing off to my friends.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Senior Members

so the amp only powers the subs. If swap the amp maybe something to power, subs, and rear mids would be a good idea?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jordan23junkee' post='412235' date='Apr 10 2007, 06:15 PM
so the amp only powers the subs. If ill add an amp maybe something to power, subs, and rear mids would be a good idea?
Check out the recent post about the aftermarket amp called isoamp. I think this would be the way to replace the amp
that drives everything but the subs - but I'm not totally sure about that - sorry.

- Wes
Old 04-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

i think the L7 speakers arent that great, they distort all high volume. look into reus audio, focal and dynaaudio for high end quality.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, sports package, logic 7 + changer, dvd navi, front heated seats + steering wheel

Originally Posted by westal' post='412225' date='Apr 10 2007, 03:42 PM
Yep that's exactly my thoughts on it. The picture Andy posted above (location of amp) shows his Logic7 amp, and it is WAY bigger
in size than the one I took out. The standard amp is rather ridiculously small, light, and chincy feeling.

The Logic7 amp looks (in size) about the same as the Thunder 280 I just put in. Of course, just because an amp is big
doesn't necessarily mean it is good, so there might still be a pretty big improvement.

not to beat a dead horse, the internals of the amp could also be modified with beefier transformers for more power output.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

So the standard 10speaker audiosystem in US 2006 E60 have subwoofers under the front seat? I thought only Logic7 have 2 subwoofers underneath the seat.

By the way how much is the amp? If reasonable I am very tempted to do this too!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by coolguy' post='412588' date='Apr 11 2007, 09:08 PM
So the standard 10speaker audiosystem in US 2006 E60 have subwoofers under the front seat? I thought only Logic7 have 2 subwoofers underneath the seat.

By the way how much is the amp? If reasonable I am very tempted to do this too!

Yep the subs are there under the seats. I bet you could get a used amp similar to mine for $40 or so.

Quick Reply: Just replaced the amp in the trunk ...