E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Just removed my afe intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Next Gen LEDS

afe sounds like a beast
Old 02-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by suthurnbimmur
Did you take out the filter on top of the airbox in the inside? If not, do it and you will find, it will have more response than you do now. When I rev my car, I can hear my air box just trying to suck air!!
+1 You definitely get some pickup there - just from the removal of the charcoal filter, as well as a slightly more aggressive sound. I can also attest that the Dinan setup works and also sounds very aggressive when you open it up.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by EV4530
Dan! Contact member: Nerweezy from Trinity Autosport for the BMC filter. I also recommend the RPi Scoop to go with the BMC filter.
thanks for the support
Old 02-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Afe... There motto is, pay money, lose hp! Their crooks right next to Singh Autosport.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 M3

Originally Posted by vlad_b
some members here also did dinan-like dual air intake DIY to improve performance. They say it makes difference when used with with two RPI scoops.
can you point me in the direction of this DIY intake mod? Maybe I'm search challenged but can't seem to find anything on it. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Glockz
can you point me in the direction of this DIY intake mod? Maybe I'm search challenged but can't seem to find anything on it. Thanks in advance!

The DIY dual intake mod mentioned only works on V-8 (and v-10) cars, if you have an I6 it is just as pointless as the Afe HAI.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Blacked out 530i, Carbon Fiber Pillars, Carbon Fiber Emblems (Wheels, Steering Wheel and Hood/Trunk). Blacked out kidney Grill, Smoked side marker lights, 15mm Rear Spacers, K&N Filter, Window Tint, Navigon Syst. Breyton Front Lip. Bilistein Coil Over Suspension Front & Rear Droped 1.5" Genuine M5 Pedal set. Mtechnik side skirts, RPI Exhaust.

did anyone see that thread about someone using a dremal drill to remove all the groves in the OEM air box as to let the air flow more agressively through the box?
He claimed to have felt the car have more power and said that the M5 air boxes dont have these groves. just wondering if anyone knew about this, i dont see how removing the grooves would hurt the flow of the air being forced in by the RPI scoop plus a K&N or BMC air filter. thinking im gonna do this mod soon..........
Old 02-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by steeda106
did anyone see that thread about someone using a dremal drill to remove all the groves in the OEM air box as to let the air flow more agressively through the box?
He claimed to have felt the car have more power and said that the M5 air boxes dont have these groves. just wondering if anyone knew about this, i dont see how removing the grooves would hurt the flow of the air being forced in by the RPI scoop plus a K&N or BMC air filter. thinking im gonna do this mod soon..........
I have a very difficult time believing that a backyard mechanic miraculously unleashed horsepower by negating the very significant amount of engineering that BMW puts into things like this. If you've got a charcoal filter, definitely take that out as it is very restrictive, but I think you are wasting your time/being counterproductive to be dremeling out grooves in the airbox. It's more likely that those grooves keep turbulence under control and maximize power as it is that they are somehow restricting power.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

Singh Autos are crooks?? Do tell!!
Old 02-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by jm545i
... backyard mechanic (thanks )...amount of engineering that BMW puts into things like this-->(like this one?) charcoal filter... grooves keep turbulence(HP?)under control and ... are somehow restricting power.
Feel free to draw your own conclusion but after my experiment, I didn't see/feel negative result. I just wanted to share.

Quick Reply: Just removed my afe intake