E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Just removed my afe intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(Just a little background story first) Well, my car has been back and forth for service at my BMW center for quite some time. It all started with an intensely rough idle on a cold startup, and then it started to happen anytime I started up the car. Before heading in for service, I changed the spark plugs (1st time changing the plugs after 85,000 miles), which helped, but very little. I found about 2.5-3 inches of oil sitting on top of cylinder's 3 & 6 spark plugs (big no no). Brought it in immediately to get it checked out, and they replaced my valve cover gasket (solved the leakage). CEL kept coming back, and they looked at each coil, and discovered 1 of them was worn out badly (had tares in it). After that, I had them clean the fuel injectors, and the cel is still coming back on, along with a little bit of rough idle on cold start up. Before continuing, my SA advised me to remove the aftermarket intake and put the stock air box back in. We talked about it, and he said that, ironically, mostly hot air is entering the radial cone from the engine bay, and the heat shield does practically nothing to prevent it. He said the BMW techs jokingly call it a hot air intake haha. In any case, I went ahead and removed it, after about a year and 1/2 of it installed, and once I put the stock equipment back in, the airflow path made significantly more sense than a radial cone from AFE. I also have an RPI air scoop, and once you trace from where the air is forced into the scoop, then through the tubing into the air box, and straight to the engine, I can't see how the AFE intake could do the job any better. I might be wrong or missing something, but it just seems more logical. I went for a little drive, and everything felt more "pure" and smooth; the acceleration felt different as well, in a good way. Sorry for the long read, but I just thought it'd be interesting to share. I loved the sound that the intake made, but again, it just seemed pointless to have, now that it's gone and have it back to stock. Anyone have their own experiences with AFE's intake system?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by dan530
Anyone have their own experiences with AFE's intake system?
Do a search and you'll laugh at what you just asked. LOL! Hate's a pretty good word, but you summed it up pretty well.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

I personally did not use AFE, but read a lot of similar stories. If you search for it, you will be surprised how many times it was already discussed here
Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Members

I just did my search, and wow...I'm definitely not alone on this one. When I took off, I knew I felt the acceleration to be more lively with the stock box and air scoop. Now I just need a bmc filter.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

some members here also did dinan-like dual air intake DIY to improve performance. They say it makes difference when used with with two RPI scoops.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

Did you take out the filter on top of the airbox in the inside? If not, do it and you will find, it will have more response than you do now. When I rev my car, I can hear my air box just trying to suck air!!
Old 02-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

I thought about Afe when I first got my car, I had a CAI for my Infiniti. Did research and decided not to go with the Afe and I'm glad I didn't. The prescribed setup is much better.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dan530
I just did my search, and wow...I'm definitely not alone on this one. When I took off, I knew I felt the acceleration to be more lively with the stock box and air scoop. Now I just need a bmc filter.
Dan! Contact member: Nerweezy from Trinity Autosport for the BMC filter. I also recommend the RPi Scoop to go with the BMC filter.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EV4530
Dan! Contact member: Nerweezy from Trinity Autosport for the BMC filter. I also recommend the RPi Scoop to go with the BMC filter.
Indeed I will. I installed my air scoop a month or two ago, so I'm good with that.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by suthurnbimmur
Did you take out the filter on top of the airbox in the inside? If not, do it and you will find, it will have more response than you do now. When I rev my car, I can hear my air box just trying to suck air!!
I'll give it a shot!

Quick Reply: Just removed my afe intake