E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

just installed HID in LCI Halogen headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 BMW 528i Space Gray | Premium Package | Sports Package | Navigation

Today I just installed 6000K H7 HID kit in my LCI Halogen headlights (Thanks to John@motorcepts!!!). The problem is that when installing the h7 HID bulbs, the return wire was facing up, it would not fit in any other way with the bulb holder. I am not sure if this is right or not. Anyways, the light output is a significant improvement over the halogen bulbs but the beam pattern I can see a straight dark dim spot outputting from both headlights on the ground. Now I am wondering if thats the cause of the return wire on the bulbs facing up or just a matter of the halogen projectors themselves.

BTW, the headlights were a pain to remove and put back in because its like a jig saw puzzle and it'll go in and out if position correctly. Makes me not want to put angel eyes in the headlights now haha, time will tell.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

It's supposed to. If you look at how light is projected from a projector, it's upside down. To give you a better idea, on xenons, there's a solenoid shield that's active during normal operation. When high beam is activated, this shield that's covering the lower portion of the projector is lifted, and the light is allowed to pass through (and since it's projected inversely) what you'll see is the low beam.

If your light output is a bit off, you can adjust via the white turn screws on the top of the headlights.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by imagine
Today I just installed 6000K H7 HID kit in my LCI Halogen headlights (Thanks to John@motorcepts!!!). The problem is that when installing the h7 HID bulbs, the return wire was facing up, it would not fit in any other way with the bulb holder. I am not sure if this is right or not. Anyways, the light output is a significant improvement over the halogen bulbs but the beam pattern I can see a straight dark dim spot outputting from both headlights on the ground. Now I am wondering if thats the cause of the return wire on the bulbs facing up or just a matter of the halogen projectors themselves.
I just did this same install on my '08 528i two weeks ago except I used 4300k bulbs for an OEM look. I had the same problem you are describing. The way to fix this is to notch the base of the bulb. (See my two posts #9 and #10 in this thread https://5series.net/forums/topic/123...f-may-special/ ) To learn more about this go to hidplanet.com and do a search for notch bulb. Or contact motorcepts. John should be able to explain it to you. Basically you take a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel and cut off the rounded edge of base directly opposite the flat side of the base. This will then allow you to mount the bulb with the return electrode sitting below the glass bulb itself. This will eliminate the shadow of the electrode you are seeing below the cutoff line of your headlights. All HID bulbs are meant to be mounted with the return electrode below the glass bulb. Hope this helps.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 BMW 528i Space Gray | Premium Package | Sports Package | Navigation

Originally Posted by acefuture
I just did this same install on my '08 528i two weeks ago except I used 4300k bulbs for an OEM look. I had the same problem you are describing. The way to fix this is to notch the base of the bulb. (See my two posts #9 and #10 in this thread https://5series.net/forums/topic/123...f-may-special/ ) To learn more about this go to hidplanet.com and do a search for notch bulb. Or contact motorcepts. John should be able to explain it to you. Basically you take a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel and cut off the rounded edge of base directly opposite the flat side of the base. This will then allow you to mount the bulb with the return electrode sitting below the glass bulb itself. This will eliminate the shadow of the electrode you are seeing below the cutoff line of your headlights. All HID bulbs are meant to be mounted with the return electrode below the glass bulb. Hope this helps.
Thank you acefuture. I knew something was up when we were installing the bulbs and the return wire was not facing the down. I will now have to take off the headlights (Pain the a**) and remount them properly.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Members

Acefuture. Much gratitude to you my headlights look awesome now and very bright. I can see the lights flicker effect a lot more now and it's kind of scary because it sorta looks like cop lights
Old 06-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Members

Glad I could help. Hope you didn't remove your headlights again. Since the fix only involved modifying the bulb itself, removing the hadlight housings should not have been necessary.

Getting rid of the halogens for HID's is great, isn't it? Enjoy!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Senior Members

Wish I found this earlier. When I had my E60 I had hids in my halogens (LCI with projectors), I hated that shadow....two years later the output got worse as the bulb dimmed.....I think the output was better with halogen LOL.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Good work
Old 06-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Wish I found this earlier. When I had my E60 I had hids in my halogens (LCI with projectors), I hated that shadow....two years later the output got worse as the bulb dimmed.....I think the output was better with halogen LOL.
Those "headlights" shown in your signature look fine to me.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Members

My Ride: e60 520i '04

photos?

Quick Reply: just installed HID in LCI Halogen headlights