E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Just got a new car! Ipod not playing! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I just picked up an 08 550i sport beautiful! Has all the bells and whistles. LOVE BMW! The only problem that I encountered is that my ipod doesnt work. I have the special cable connecting from the BMW (US to my ipod. When I plug in the AUX cable I hear the songs from the ipid but it neither charges no displays data on the idrive screen. I then took the same cord and ipod to my friends M5 2008 and it worked perfectly. You can see the songs and everything. All I want is to listen and see the songs on my idrive. Can anyone PLEASE tell me why i cant do this in my car. Thank you!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:06 AM
@mr
Members

My Ride: BMW 525i e60 (private) M-style,, Carbon Black, HUD, MM Interface. And a BMW 325 e90 (Business),

Not sure if I got you right there:
On the AUX cable, it does not charge and displays track info.. well thats normal.

As for the interface, was it retrofitted or did it come standard.
Is your car coded for the CD changer option (your dealer can do that)
What type of iPod do you use? There is an issue with newer iPod's not charging on the 5v Firewire. there are adaptors for that.
But that would not explain the trackinfo not showing.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

I would take it back to the dealer or wherever you got it from. It should work and show it all on the screen. If it works in your friends car it sounds like its a problem in the drive.. Im no techy, but I dont know what else it could be that YOU should have to fix.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

You just bought the car. It came with the USB. Take it to the dealer while you still can.

They will probably try to fix it for free since you just bought the car.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by @mr
Not sure if I got you right there:
On the AUX cable, it does not charge and displays track info.. well thats normal.

The USB part of the cable goes into the car, and the other end (Ipod connector) goes into the ipod. No track info nor does it charge.

As for the interface, was it retrofitted or did it come standard.
Is your car coded for the CD changer option (your dealer can do that)
What type of iPod do you use? There is an issue with newer iPod's not charging on the 5v Firewire. there are adaptors for that.
But that would not explain the trackinfo not showing.
It came standard as one of the options offered by BMW. I am using the Itouch, it worked well with my other car having an Ipod integration instead of a CD changer. Now it neither charges nor displays data on the screen. I can only hear it when i plug in the aux cable but does not display any data. Only plays songs from the ipod.

Originally Posted by melimel
I would take it back to the dealer or wherever you got it from. It should work and show it all on the screen. If it works in your friends car it sounds like its a problem in the drive.. Im no techy, but I dont know what else it could be that YOU should have to fix.
I think its actually a simple programming, if the same ipod and same connector works in my friends car, i dont understand why it shouldnt work in mine since i have the same year as his and have the same OEM USB package.

Originally Posted by Luxurytax
You just bought the car. It came with the USB. Take it to the dealer while you still can.

They will probably try to fix it for free since you just bought the car.
Ill take it there and see what they say. Thanks