E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Just bought a 04 545i

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2004 545i CPO, and I found out that there is no CD magazine in the changer. So, I'm just wondering where can I get a magazine? Or do I have to go to the dealer and spend $50.

Also, I don't have any books with the car yet (I suppose to get those next week sometime). Just wondering if the 2004 has the bluetooth? I got the option list from BMW that is on this particular car, and it says it's Bluetooth ready; but I don't know how to turn it on. Also, it didn't say Active Steering, but I can feel that my car has it; was it standard in 2004 on the 545i?

Still trying to figure out the iDrive, but it's not too bad to figure it out. It's definitely a nice car, though a little on the heavy side.

Anyway, just want to ask a few questions and say hi.

Jim C.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JCHouston' post='303019' date='Jun 25 2006, 05:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2004 545i CPO, and I found out that there is no CD magazine in the changer. So, I'm just wondering where can I get a magazine? Or do I have to go to the dealer and spend $50.

Also, I don't have any books with the car yet (I suppose to get those next week sometime). Just wondering if the 2004 has the bluetooth? I got the option list from BMW that is on this particular car, and it says it's Bluetooth ready; but I don't know how to turn it on. Also, it didn't say Active Steering, but I can feel that my car has it; was it standard in 2004 on the 545i?

Still trying to figure out the iDrive, but it's not too bad to figure it out. It's definitely a nice car, though a little on the heavy side.

Anyway, just want to ask a few questions and say hi.

Jim C.
Hello JCHouston - welcome to the E60 Forums. I'm fairly new here myself and also recently purchased an '04 545i.

I would ask the place/person where you purchased it if they will supply you with a magazine since it is missing. Same thing happened to me (curious) and they sent me one.

Some other members may want to help confirm, but my understanding is that the 2004 models DID NOT have Bluetooth. However, depending on the manufacture date, you may be able to get a retrofit. I have our BMW Center here checking on that same thing for me, but have not yet heard. I'll post the info once I hear back from them.

I have Active Steering on mine, but can't really comment on whether it was standard or not. I'm not thinking it was standard since not everyone likes it and there's not a way to just turn it off, at least that I know of.

Enjoy your car. These forums will really help get the most out of it!
Old 06-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Members

Congrats on your 545i VTec...

I asked the dealer, but they refuse to give me one for free because they claim that they didn't make any money on the car...blah blah blah...Oh well, I did get an awesome deal on it I think. I guess spending $50 more is not a big deal...can't believe these magazines are that much.

Yea, Active Steering is pretty interesting. I was tossing the car around just to see the limit, and the active steering is very different when trying to steer out of a slide. I guess the steering ratio keep changing during the slide due to speed...almost hit a curb....haha. I just now took our other car out to gas up, forgot you have to turn the steering wheel more...

VTec, from the picture I'm assuming you have rims on the car already, you planning to do more to it? I really like the M-tech kit myself.

Jim
Old 06-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

IMO i think they have to get you a cd magazine. They can't just sell you a car with no cd magazine its just not right. I would go back and demand them to get you a new one.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6spd, blk on blk, HRE 540R 20x9 in front and 20x10 in rear with Pirelli PZero Neros 245/25/20 front and 295/25/20 rear. H&R springs, and Eisenmann quad exhaust, V! radar detector, black grille, limo tint all around.

Originally Posted by VTec' post='303031' date='Jun 25 2006, 03:55 PM
Hello JCHouston - welcome to the E60 Forums. I'm fairly new here myself and also recently purchased an '04 545i.

I would ask the place/person where you purchased it if they will supply you with a magazine since it is missing. Same thing happened to me (curious) and they sent me one.

Some other members may want to help confirm, but my understanding is that the 2004 models DID NOT have Bluetooth. However, depending on the manufacture date, you may be able to get a retrofit. I have our BMW Center here checking on that same thing for me, but have not yet heard. I'll post the info once I hear back from them.

I have Active Steering on mine, but can't really comment on whether it was standard or not. I'm not thinking it was standard since not everyone likes it and there's not a way to just turn it off, at least that I know of.

Enjoy your car. These forums will really help get the most out of it!
The '04 545i does not come with Bluetooth but you can definitely get it retrofitted at your local dealership. I have an '04 545i and i recently had my car retrofitted for the bluetooth. They just replace your TCU with a newer version that comes with the bluetooth. I think it's several hundred dollars for the retrofit; I got hooked up at my dealership because the service advisor is a friend of mine and I had some issues with my old TCU so they just replaced it and along the way retrofitted my car with the bluetooth!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JCHouston' post='303039
VTec, from the picture I'm assuming you have rims on the car already, you planning to do more to it? I really like the M-tech kit myself.
I am running 20" Asanti Chrome AF128's w/ Michelin Sport Pilot PS2's (pic included). However, I think I would like a bit more rubber, so I'm probably going to sell the Asanti's and am deciding between BMW OEM Style 166 or 167 (19"). I also love the M-Tech kit, but want to get my new wheels/tires out of the way and then turn my attention to extended warranty. THEN, I'll start playing with all the add-ons. But this is a great place to help decide on which add-ons work.

Just bought a 04 545i-bmw545rightside_640rez.jpgJust bought a 04 545i-bmw545leftrear_640rez.jpg
Old 06-27-2006, 05:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone Waiting

Originally Posted by JCHouston' post='303039' date='Jun 25 2006, 06:34 PM
Congrats on your 545i VTec...

I asked the dealer, but they refuse to give me one for free because they claim that they didn't make any money on the car...blah blah blah...Oh well, I did get an awesome deal on it I think. I guess spending $50 more is not a big deal...can't believe these magazines are that much.

Yea, Active Steering is pretty interesting. I was tossing the car around just to see the limit, and the active steering is very different when trying to steer out of a slide. I guess the steering ratio keep changing during the slide due to speed...almost hit a curb....haha. I just now took our other car out to gas up, forgot you have to turn the steering wheel more...

Jim
can get the car hand book here on www.e60.net
Old 06-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Members

Got my books and extra key from the dealer this morning. They refuse to give me a new magazine, so I just ordered one from the Parts dept. Car is getting detail right now and fixing 2 door dings on the driver door; should look brand new when I get it back later on.

BTW, can the CD player in the center console play MP3 disc in the 04 model?

I looked at my option list again, it says BMW Assist with Bluetooth. But my car is a 01/04 production, so I guess there is no bluetooth in my car...
Old 06-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by choi000' post='303542' date='Jun 26 2006, 04:54 PM
The '04 545i does not come with Bluetooth but you can definitely get it retrofitted at your local dealership. I have an '04 545i and i recently had my car retrofitted for the bluetooth. They just replace your TCU with a newer version that comes with the bluetooth. I think it's several hundred dollars for the retrofit; I got hooked up at my dealership because the service advisor is a friend of mine and I had some issues with my old TCU so they just replaced it and along the way retrofitted my car with the bluetooth!
Partially True - 04's produced after March 2005 have the proper TCU. You just had to have a I-drive s/w upgrade to enable it, which by now has probably been done. If you car was produced prior to March 2005, then you have to get the upgraded TCU.

For the manuals, you should be able to get a user id to the BMW owners circle and download the manual. I actually did this while my car was being built to try and understand all of the info and options. This may be helpfull if you are trying to figure things out and don't want to wait for the manuals.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

How can an '04 be produced in Mar 2005? Do you mean Mar 2004?

Quick Reply: Just bought a 04 545i