E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Juice Box Stage 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='678377' date='Sep 25 2008, 07:12 PM
Dynos have proven better gains than the Dinan. Dinan does not give the best power gains.

Wrong.

Dinan software voids factory warranty. Dinan picks up the 4yr/50,000 warranty with their own Dinan warranty.
Wrong-
Dinan software does NOT void the BMW warranty. Through their relationship with BMW, Dinan provides a coterminous warranty to BMWs. If BMW deems that a warranty repair is directly or indirectly (consequential damages) because of the Dinan modification then the repair is funded by the Dinan warranty.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds great. I am a big fan of Magnaflow I have run them in my vw/audi's in the past. I have access to a shop near me with a mandrel bender on site ...they can fab something up for me with no prob. Did you have to cut off the stock exhaust right after the cat or did you do it closer to the rear of the car. I was thinking of doing an exhaust from the end of the downpipe all the way back (eliminating that secondary cat) but I will only do it if I can make it something bolt on (no cutting). I have not crawled under there yet to take a look. Anyway...keep me posted!!!

Originally Posted by alpha12345' post='678141' date='Sep 25 2008, 02:55 PM
I originally was totally against changing my exhaust BUT if it really is that much of a hinderance vs 335 I might just do it. What exhaust are you running? When you get a chance to run him again with exhaust I will be VERY interested in the results. You still have your cats and stock Down pipes?

we were both by our selves same set up but he had a dual cone i had a single. I had stock run flats he had general tires. WE will run again for sure i ll let u know. As far as exhaust i have the magnaflow with a custom y pipe stock cats and stock downpipes... the exhaust sounds really nice not too loud not too quite u ll like it it makes a noticible difference. I constantly hit 4.5 on jb3 in auto mode with traction off, i didn't do runs with the exhaust because a friend of mine borrowed the jb3 and ill prob get it back tonite. I also played around with tire pressure and did a 4.3 the car is really really strong.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='678382' date='Sep 25 2008, 04:21 PM
Wrong-
Dinan software does NOT void the BMW warranty. Through their relationship with BMW, Dinan provides a coterminous warranty to BMWs. If BMW deems that a warranty repair is directly or indirectly (consequential damages) because of the Dinan modification then the repair is funded by the Dinan warranty.
Exactly.

Right - If BMW thinks the damage was caused by the Dinan part. BMW will NOT cover it under warranty. Therefore the Dinan warranty jumps in and will cover the repair. You can word it which ever way you want, the BMW warranty no longer exists when a Dinan part damages your engine.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='678410' date='Sep 25 2008, 07:59 PM
Exactly.

Right - If BMW thinks the damage was the caused by the Dinan part. BMW will NOT cover it under warranty. Therefore the Dinan warranty jumps in and will cover the repair. You can word it which ever way you want, the BMW warranty no longer exists when a Dinan part damages your engine.
It does not exist specifically for that part until its replaced or repaired, then it exists again and it still exists for everything else. Is that rewording what you are saying? I'm not sure of your point, you are covered no matter what.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Members

One thing we know for sure is that the only one that gives you any type of warranty at all is the Dinan and that has to cost something. What saves the other tunes is that they can be removed without a trace (the idea though is to keep the tunes as safe as possible so as to not damage anything in the first place).

I have been running performance tunes on my turbo VW/Audi cars for years and 10's of thousands of miles without a SINGLE issue ever (knock on wood). My last car was a 2007 A4 2.0T that had switchable tunes between a 93 octane tune and a 100 octane race tune... stock boost was around 10psi and with tune over 18psi peaking in the 20psi range... car had 35,000+ plus miles on tune without so much as a hiccup so it can be done safely with a proper tune.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Contributors

ok, here's my take on this...

to me, peace of mind is worth more than more hp/torque. thus, i'm more geared towards the Dinan.

on a side note, i've heard from a very reliable BMW master tech that when your car is hooked up at th dealership.....and detects anything unusual, like over boosting.....it automatically sends the info to BMW NA which leads to a "....sorry, your warranty has been voided..." letter.

think about this. for most of us, we're so worried and consumed with tires rubbing, angel eyes not being bright enough, limp mode, etc....but yet you'd put your car's "brain" at risk without any type of "safety net" to fall back on?!

take it for what it's worth.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Members

You're right about the warranty void detection.... but 535 built before March of 2008 have the V80 hardware and older software which does not have this detection...if the car is taken to the dealer for any reason for service it will most likely get updated with new software that will then be able to detect over boost etc... and even limit power output.

If the 535 is post March 2008 it will have the newer V81 hardware and newer software already installed but the tuners (JB3 for example) already have tunes specifically made for this new hardware and software which runs slightly less power and is undetected anyway.

The guys with pre march 2008 cars will be able to make more power and not have the detection feature which is great....but even those with the new software and/or hardware update still have options.

Originally Posted by MacFly' post='678740' date='Sep 26 2008, 03:22 AM
ok, here's my take on this...

to me, peace of mind is worth more than more hp/torque. thus, i'm more geared towards the Dinan.

on a side note, i've heard from a very reliable BMW master tech that when your car is hooked up at th dealership.....and detects anything unusual, like over boosting.....it automatically sends the info to BMW NA which leads to a "....sorry, your warranty has been voided..." letter.

think about this. for most of us, we're so worried and consumed with tires rubbing, angel eyes not being bright enough, limp mode, etc....but yet you'd put your car's "brain" at risk without any type of "safety net" to fall back on?!

take it for what it's worth.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:15 AM
Contributors

guys, pls do not get me wrong here....i'm in no way knocking the JB3 and Terry.

i simply would not attach a "black box" to my 60in plasma at the risk of it fryin' the screen and potentially voiding the warranty.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MacFly' post='678945' date='Sep 26 2008, 11:15 AM
guys, pls do not get me wrong here....i'm in no way knocking the JB3 and Terry.

i simply would not attach a "black box" to my 60in plasma at the risk of it fryin' the screen and potentially voiding the warranty.
+1 i agree... but i did have a 335i with software from bmw... the jb3 is probly alot better but if something goes wrong your srewed........
Old 09-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Contributors

although the JB3 is undetechtable, if the turbo's are blown......BMW will research. with all the precautions they have in place, ie., limp mode, error codes, etc......and for the turbo to blow w/o such warning is a major flag.

to each his own. at the end of the day, i respect everyone's personal decision & mod choices.

Quick Reply: Juice Box Stage 3