E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

This is a journey into sound.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

We chatted briefly about wiring. The main customized PnP interface harnesses were purchased from Technic (Thanks bro!). This will allow us to tap into the wires directly from the CIC Quadralock speaker outputs and into our MS-8. From this harness we also have to transfer the MOST harness (two fiber optics cables in a connector socket) to the PnP harness; it just unplugs from the OEM Quadralock and plugs right into the new Quadralock harness.

Retail Price USD $125.00
Attached Thumbnails This is a journey into sound.....-photo4-1.jpg   This is a journey into sound.....-photo5-1.jpg   This is a journey into sound.....-woofer_cic02.jpg  
Old 09-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Contributors

Other cabling, we'll get from Straight Wire. For RCA choices, (we'll need 6 pairs at 1 meter each) I'm going with the economical choice of the Musicable II line. If cash is no object then the Encore II line may be the choice for you. We'll also get the Musicable II speaker wire for the speakers in the doors and choose 14/4 and 14/2 cable combinations for these runs.

Here's a link to Straight Wire's website:
http://www.straightwire.com/

Retail price USD$250.00 (~$25.00 per RCA pair + speaker wire).
Attached Thumbnails This is a journey into sound.....-rca.jpg  
Old 09-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Contributors

If I go crazy and decide to add a sub in the trunk thumping base through the ski-port opening, a great choice would be Rainbow's 12 INCH VANADIUM Car Subwoofer. Here's a pic of Nelson's previous setup incorporating some major base! Also a link to Rainbow's website.

http://www.raysmith.co.uk/rainbow-12...subwoofer.html

Retail Price USD $575.00 (Woofer only, No sealed box or plexiglass back with LEDs to show off the magnet ).
Attached Thumbnails This is a journey into sound.....-rainbow-rainbow-12-inch-vanadium-car-subwoofer-33.jpg   This is a journey into sound.....-dscf0995.jpg  
Old 09-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i Alpine White

First of all I want to thank you for doing a job like this and posting it. I am exactly looking at those pieces, the JBL MS8, the Jenhert speakers and either TRU amps or AUDISON amps. I am so curious on the sound of the door speakers. I was told they are very similiar to the rainbow speakers. I am also looking to put Image Dynamic subs in the trunk shooting thru ski hole. Please keep us informed and posted on the final outcome, especially the speakers. GOOD LUCK and thanks again.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:09 AM
Contributors

First of all I want to thank you for doing a job like this and posting it. I am exactly looking at those pieces, the JBL MS8, the Jenhert speakers and either TRU amps or AUDISON amps. I am so curious on the sound of the door speakers. I was told they are very similiar to the rainbow speakers. I am also looking to put Image Dynamic subs in the trunk shooting thru ski hole. Please keep us informed and posted on the final outcome, especially the speakers. GOOD LUCK and thanks again
Thanks for the feedback Bimmerboyali. Choosing the Jehnert speakers to go along with the doorboards took a bit of deliberation however as your comments suggest, I've also read that their similarities to Rainbow speakers are remarkable......and there may be a good reason for it. In some of their install kits for Mercedes, Jehnert uses Rainbow tweeters. There is an affiliation between the two companies or at least some commonalities as to where the speakers are made. At one time I think Jehnert speakers were made by MD Quart. Rockwood Fosgate may have also had a stake in MD Quart. One thing for sure, if guys like Manny and countless other installers for BMW, Mercedes, Porsche etc are all using these modular Jehnert systems, then there is something to say about their capabilities.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Nigel,

Here's a pic of the center channel im installing in my car. Its a Micro Precison 5.8 wideband driver, Made in Germany http://www.s149787789.online.de/mp-i...l/welcome.html. Their line of speakers are model after BMW. 3,5,7 line and their uber expensive Z line. Everything is made in house my friends, even their screws.

Check ou this videos-http://www.s149787789.online.de/mp-int/mp-international/movie.html

I will also be sending you the ring for it.
Attached Thumbnails This is a journey into sound.....-picture-008.jpg   This is a journey into sound.....-picture-009.jpg   This is a journey into sound.....-picture-011.jpg  
Old 09-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm following this thread closely.. Thanks for sharing all the great info!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Contributors

Here's a pic of the center channel im installing in my car. Its a Micro Precison 5.8 wideband driver, Made in Germany
Nelson, that's one great looking speaker! In order to get to the cavity for the center channel, I'm guessing you went in by removing the LCD screen. This is going to be one intense install.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Nigel,

I remove the center channel cover with a hair pin. No need to remove the LCD screen.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Contributors

Nigel, I remove the center channel cover with a hair pin. No need to remove the LCD screen.
Gotcha. I'm guessing we could fish the speaker wire in from behind the CIC at the time we take the dash apart to connect Technic's PnP Quadralock harness.

Here's a review I found at diymobileaudio.com:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...sion-5-8s.html

Retail Price USD $250.00

Quick Reply: This is a journey into sound.....