E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I've had it with brake dust.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I don't know about you guys but I've had enough of cleaning my wheels to last me a lifetime! I cleaned them the other day, tried to wipe the water droplets off and decided it was taking to long so went for quick ride to shake ther water off, got back after braking about 4 times and there was dust on them again. I don't have a lot of cleaning time on my hands so whats the alternative?

Noticed this ad in Autoexpress: -

www.kleenwheels.co.uk

?59.99 for 4 - made in the USA.

Anyone got any yet? Good idea or not?
Old 06-14-2005, 11:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

In Newcastle we have a day called Sunday, this is the day when you sit cross legged in a meditational posture, brush in one hand and a bottle of wonder wheels in the other
Old 06-14-2005, 11:57 PM
Contributors

Nay on the kleen wheels. They make the brake dust look pretty good IMO.

Other than applying some wheel wax to aid in the cleaning process, you can always change the pads.

Check out this thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95174
Old 06-15-2005, 12:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Jun 14 2005, 10:06 PM
I don't know about you guys but I've had enough of cleaning my wheels to last me a lifetime! I cleaned them the other day, tried to wipe the water droplets off and decided it was taking to long so went for quick ride to shake ther water off, got back after braking about 4 times and there was dust on them again. I don't have a lot of cleaning time on my hands so whats the alternative?

Noticed this ad in Autoexpress: -

www.kleenwheels.co.uk

?59.99 for 4 - made in the USA.

Anyone got any yet? Good idea or not?
[snapback]139492[/snapback]
Merv, adding a set of Kleenwheels will completely ruin the look of your wheels - DONT EVEN CONSIDER IT - it makes it look like you have shoved a set of dinner plates inside your alloys.

I have added a coat of ReJex to my wheels - it does not stop the build up of dust but it makes cleaning much easier. When my wheels get dirty then a quick squirt from the hose gets 80% of it off and the rest comes off without much more effort using a soft wheel brush.

This means that I can give my wheels a quick spruce-up with the hose every few days (if needed) and keep on top of the dirt and then give them a proper cleaning when I wash the car.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

Kleenwheels will help with the brake dust but I have heard that they do not adequately allow air to the brakes. Your brakes may get hot with them on.

Changing pads will work but a harder pad while being less dusty will be tougher on your rotors leading to possible warping (vibration).
Old 06-15-2005, 09:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

Also harder pads will not grab as well which will effect stopping distances.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

Polish the wheels with wax. It makes it much easier to clean the brake dust.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by E60525d' date='Jun 15 2005, 02:05 PM
Polish the wheels with wax. It makes it much easier to clean the brake dust.
[snapback]139828[/snapback]
Using wax on the wheels is a waste of time, since it will break down (melt) from the high heat. I've had good experience with Rejex--it was developed for high temp applications. Also get a California mini duster to remove brake dust between washing.

The kleen wheels are not a good alternative. I tried them years and years ago, on my first Porsche--they look terrible (block the nice brake rotors and calipers), and despite their claims of "turbo fins" or whatever they call them, there's no way they can allow cooling to the same degree as without them.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I count myself as fortunate. At one time I was all het up to change my wheels to style 101 or similar. Almost to the point of getting wheels for the dealer to install at delivery. But I held off. I was just was not keen on these wheels as seen in pics before taking possesion of my 6er.

But, now, after seeing in the flesh AND after 18 washes in 15 weeks, I love these wheels. Never, ever have I had a wheel so easy to clean. A standard long handled wheel brush is all it takes, even to getting behind the spokes (except where the brake caliper is on that particular day). So all the wheel surfaces behind the visible front can be kept from accumulating brake dust over a long period of time and improves the overall appearance. Of course they are painted vice a polished metal and that also appears to be a good thing - so far. It remains to be seen of they can retain their appeal over many miles. I put aftermarket polished rims on my wife?s Audi Cabrio. The rear wheels get the heavy brake dust on the Audi (opposite of the front heavy 6er) and there is no way I can keep those wheels as shinny as the fronts. With the painted wheels on the 6er all four look identical after nearly 6000 miles. I am now taking a wait and see approach and will wait until at least tire changing time to see if I want a different look at the expense of the ease of cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails I've had it with brake dust.-bmw645_wheel.jpg  
Old 06-17-2005, 09:21 AM
Contributors

Here's the answer!
Attached Thumbnails I've had it with brake dust.-gallery_1545_311_24427.jpg  

Quick Reply: I've had it with brake dust.