E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

IPOD vs IRIVER. Which one is better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545 smg sport, black sapphire, beige dakotah interior, poplar trim, cold weather pkg, comfort ventilated seats, logic 7 premium sound, nav, hud, sunshades, fold-down rear seats, satellite radio

Get the iPod--it is far superior to any other mp3 player out there imo as well as many others (I have 2, one an iphoto). As for an FM transmitter, the new podfreq put out by sonnet (http://www.sonnettech.com/) is the only one worth getting. It will provide you with amazing sound quality without any of the drawbacks of other transmitters. Hope that helps.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

get the iPOD its better in quality, built wise and sound wise! My dad has a Dell DJ and while its good good bang for the buck its no BMW (*iPOD*) he wants to get a iPOD mini now.

iRiver... ehhhhh I looked into that but still decided to go with the iPOD. seems better built.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by GER_545SMG' date='Feb 12 2005, 05:17 PM
I can't believe I still don't have an iPod myself.? I have an iMac, I love music, and I hav the aux in.? My company gives them away for mktg events all the time.? Seems like I'm the last person without one?!?!?!?
[snapback]89559[/snapback]

Oooo when your next marketing event?
Old 02-13-2005, 03:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i HUD, comfort seats, PDC, moon roof, Logic 7, Nav, Steptronic, K7 and diffusers, Aux-in for iPod!

the iPod is not only superior, but far, far safer. remember: you'll be using the interface while driving. do you want something already very similar to the iDrive, i.e. - intuitive, simple, and clear, or do you want to mess with the poor excuse of an interface along with funny buttons and ergonomics which comprise all the iPod imitators?

the iPod was tweaked by Steve Jobs himself over and over and over because he was pissed off that he could not find his favorite song in three clicks. the current design has not changed, in principle, because it is the best way to navigate through thousands of songs. meaning, in turn, that it is the safest way to operate a music player in the car. don't take a chance on your life with anything else.

the iPod give you more than what you paid for it. it gives you ease of use, peace of mind, and top quality. if you settle for the Dell DJ or iRiver, you will kick yourself every time you see that player desecrating the interior of your e60. there is a simple reason why the iPod has sold so much. no, not just marketing. in this case, the marketing is a consequence of the software and hardware engineering, e.g. - perfect synchronization with iTunes, iTunes music store, and iSync. it's amazing, hard to believe, but nothing else on the market comes close. it's so strange, but true. sometimes, the closed ecosystem is actually the best consumer choice. besides, if you are simply converting your own CDs, you have absolutely no restrictions.

happy listening.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:52 AM
Contributors

I don't have one either but even on ebay they are still kind of pricey
Old 02-14-2005, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Thanks guys... my friend has an IRIVer and my other firined has a Ipod mini... I like the iIPOD better as far as toucha nd scrooling thru songs... now the question becomes...using the AUX in the E60..how do you change songs? via the radio buttons and will display in the bottom of I drive or the whole list will display in the main screen of Idrive? is it worth it then to get the AUX or just the FM trasnmitter?
Old 02-14-2005, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Don Juan' date='Feb 14 2005, 05:57 PM
? Thanks guys... my friend has an IRIVer and my other firined has a Ipod mini... I like the iIPOD better as far as toucha nd scrooling thru songs... now the question becomes...using the AUX in the E60..how do you change songs? via the radio buttons and will display in the bottom of I drive or the whole list will display in the main screen of Idrive? is it worth it then to get the AUX or just the FM trasnmitter?

[snapback]90009[/snapback]
I'd get the AUX input. It's better quality than the FM transmitter.

The AUX Input is only an input, no real connection. You can plug anything in, but you have to control the plugged in device itself. You can not change songs through idrive.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

Ok so you can not change songs via I drive, how about the buttons on the steering wheel. I think they have something similar for the E46s where you plug in your Ipod and you can controld them by pressing 1 to 6 in your radio..right? wouldn't the same be for the E60?
Old 02-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Contributors

They can't do it yet. For the US market they have a solution for the X3, but not in combination with satnav.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Don Juan' date='Feb 14 2005, 11:06 PM
Ok so you can not change songs via I drive, how about the buttons on the steering wheel. I think they have something similar for the E46s where you plug in your Ipod and you can controld them by pressing 1 to 6 in your radio..right? wouldn't the same be for the E60?
[snapback]90137[/snapback]
You can have one button programmed to switch audio sources. But that's all. It would switch to the AUX Input, but can't show or control the device that is connected there.