E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPOD video on iDrive screen via Dension IVE1000 and ACM DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I had already installed the Dension http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=54922 and installed its iPOD cable into the glovebox. But the wire that Dension provides was not long enough to reach from the unit installed behind the Glovebox to the armrest. To extend this cable you need 1 each of items MD-9P and MD-9S from this site http://www.action-electronics.com/ppdin.htm or pick up R58190B-08 from http://www.stockcable.com/minidin.shtml which is a Male-Female extension.

Because I had V2 of the Gateway 500 I had to purchase their add-on called the IVE1000. This allows you to extract Audio and Video (only up to 5.5 Generation) from the iPOD dock connector and gives you outputs so that you can feed that into an external screen. The V1 Gateway actually had the IVE inbuilt so you get the Video RCA on the Dension unit itself.

I installed the IVE1000 in between the Dension unit and the iPOD cable. I put the IVE1000 just behind the center of the dashboard, somewhere behind the lighter/ashtray area. Its quite tight there but as you can see it fits.

Next I had to decide how to route my video input. I intially decided to route this via the DVD/TV Video input but then realised a better solution.

Since I was not using the Front Camera (called Side camera in the menu) input I used that from the ACM. I anyway did not need an Audio input to the ACM for the iPOD because that was already in place via the Dension connection itself and beside this is an excellent choice compared to the bad sounding AUX-IN that the ACM provides. So now I get Audio via the Dension and Video via the Front camera option on the ACM.

The advantage of doing this like this is then you have all video source connected to the ACM already but on different lines. You just have to choose the input via the ACM. The ACM itself has 4 camera input and 1 DVD/TV input but on the v2 of the ACM only 2 camera options are available. Don't be fooled by the DVD/TV inputs thinking they have two inputs - infact there is only one video input there and the ACM actually switches only one of the the OEM DVDor DTV on at any one time. Both share the same video input.

If you have both the front and the rear cameras and still want the iPOD video with a DVD then you will have to install a toggle switch to switch between the DVD and the iPOD video.

Pitcure to show you where the IVE1000 was installed.

iPOD video on iDrive screen via Dension IVE1000 and ACM DIY-dsc00560.jpg

When connecting the iPOD to the Front camera input of the ACM you need to build yourself a custom connector using the following BMW parts

1 x UNIVERSAL SOCKET HOUSING UNCODED 18 POL. 61131383852
2 x BUSHING CONTACT 0,2- 0,5MM 61130005197
And 1 RCA plug cable

In the 18 POL. 61131383852 plug put your contacts 61130005197 in pin positions as follows
Pin 16 - Front Camera +ve
Pin 7 - Front Cameras Ground -ve

Then connect the other ends of the wires of these contacts to the RCA plugs using the Pin 16 wire for the center and the Pin 7 wire for the shield. Connect the RCA plug into the IVE1000.

Note this is the same plug and used by the Reverse Camera.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Even with the IVE1000 and the iPOD video I do not get the image on the full screen as I've seen some people get. Anyone know how to get that?