E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod Video / Apple Lossless

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 10:45 PM
TC.
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d m sport - 9 Weeks to go!!

Originally Posted by ipp' post='388913' date='Feb 8 2007, 08:12 PM
He probably ment the Apple Lossless file (.m4a), not MP3.
Appologies, I hadn't specifically highlighted the file format when stating lossless versus MP3.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:50 PM
TC.
Members

My Ride: 535d m sport - 9 Weeks to go!!

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='388932' date='Feb 8 2007, 08:45 PM
I don't think so.... How could your digital files sound better than the actual CD which is in the original digital format? On Apple iTunes you can modify the sound volume and it might depend on the equalization given by your iPod that their sound is different and you are identifying that as "better". Besides you are not even using the iPod iDrive interface but the Aux input which is supposed to have an inferior signal quality
All source settings in iTunes at the point of ripping and syncing along with the eq settings on the iPod are off - effectively it is 'as is' from source CD. Don't get me wrong, the standard CD player run through the bog standard speakers is not bad (you get what you pay for!), it is just that the lossless files and even the MP3's played at 192kbps sound richer than the standard CD. If someone else has an iPod with AUX line in would they mind having a go??
Old 02-09-2007, 05:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='388932
iDrive/iPod interfaces pick analog signal from doc connector. You can purchase a cable that plugs into the doc connector and gives you line level signal out. You can connect this signal to aux input and get the same quality as with iDrive/iPod adapter (some recommend removal of low pass filter from aux input though).
I was not aware of this, then with this said, it should not matter which input he's using. I just assumed he had the iPod connected via the headphones jack output and into the Aux input.
I've read in another thread that having or removing those filters really did not make a difference, but I guess it always depends on who's listening.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='388932
Format in which data is stored is irrelevant as long as digital-to-analog converter receives same bits. In CD player data in CD format read by a laser and as pits and bumps and fed to the DAC. In iPod data is stored on hard disk, where processor reads them, decompresses and, provided that format they are stored in lossless (AAC lossles or WAV) produces excatly same bits as would be read from CD by the laser. Bitstream is then sent to the digital-to-analog converter.
Agree, Format in which data is stored is irrelevant as long as data is the same, if this lossless format really does not looses any data when creating the files (When reading from the CD), then both sources would be identical in content. I also understand that it would all be up to the digital to analog converters. With all this said, then it appears that our $1,000+ CD headunits use, as another member put it, cheapo DACs :'(
thank you and I stand corrected.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I have tested all formats of audio vs. the original CD on my Logic 7, and in my small home studio.

The differences are noticable across the spectrum.

Orignal CD is remarkably better than all.... even better than uncompressed WAV on the iPod. I blame this quality difference on the iPod itself. The iPod does not have quaity components inside (ie poor DAC, etc....) A standard CD sound so much better, that I have now ditched my iPod in the car. I'm back to using CDs again.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i / Orient Blue (I think) / Tan int / 116's Wheels / ... my favorite option, the HEATED steering wheel! Previous cars retired: 2006 Corvette Z51, 2002 Corvette Coupe, 2002 Mustang, 1997 Maxima, 1994 Camry, 1990 Supra None, and I mean none compare to this 545i. The 06 Corvette was faster, but not by much...

I think the aux jack always sounds worse than a cd. if you were comparing the idrive system, it might be closer. Something's amiss
Old 02-25-2007, 05:15 AM
Members

you cant compare an ipod to a good quality original cd (this depends on how the cd has been recorded, some bands may sound like they are recorded in a coke can whatever media you play from)

the ipod is of low quality components, which small children and fashion people just have to have for some reason. (quality doesnt matter, just paint it pink and it will be a hit)
Old 02-26-2007, 03:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by 530xda' post='395363' date='Feb 25 2007, 09:15 AM
you cant compare an ipod to a good quality original cd (this depends on how the cd has been recorded, some bands may sound like they are recorded in a coke can whatever media you play from)

the ipod is of low quality components, which small children and fashion people just have to have for some reason. (quality doesnt matter, just paint it pink and it will be a hit)

Exactly.

Plus.... a copy of any audio material is not going to sound better than the original.... Particularly when that copy has any degree of encoding done to it, lossy or lossless.

And obviously no two CDs are created equal. As the years have gone by, most professionally produced CDs have been showing a decline in recording quality.... primarily because of record labels instructing their audio engineers to compress/limit the audio signals in order to boost the RMS volume levels to make their CD sound louder than other CDs. This is a competitive marketing ploy. People, who are generally dumb and don't know an ounce about music, typically will equate loudness with quality. So if they play two different CDs in the same stereo, back-to-back, they will most likely say that the louder of the two sounds better.... even though this is most likely incorrect.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='395755' date='Feb 26 2007, 12:56 PM
[snip]record labels instructing their audio engineers to compress/limit the audio signals in order to boost the RMS volume levels to make their CD sound louder than other CDs[snip]
And don't forget: emphasise frequency extremes. Boom boom tizz tizz. Great.