E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ipod shuffle

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Would anyone out there be using a shuffle with the aux in and how it works for them?

TC
Old 06-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Members

I used both my 40GB iPod and iPod shuffle with no problems.... the 40GB sounded better because I used a pocket dock on the bottom to get the line level out put.... can't do that with the shuffle...
Old 06-09-2005, 03:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Kinda related - I have been using a Creative Zen Micro with headphone output. THe signal coming out is weak enough that I have to crank the bass and treble just to bring out the sound to 'average' on the BMW.

My bet is that a player with a line-out will have a much better, stronger freq response?

Just guessing...

Tom
Old 06-09-2005, 05:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Same problem with the Sony PSP. Headphone out really blows.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You guys using a headphone output -- are you playing with the volume setting on the device? Usually there'a a "sweet spot" where you can adjust it to be about the same as the line level output...
Old 06-09-2005, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

Been there, done that...

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jun 9 2005, 10:00 AM
You guys using a headphone output -- are you playing with the volume setting on the device?? Usually there'a a "sweet spot" where you can adjust it to be about the same as the line level output...
[snapback]137905[/snapback]
Old 06-09-2005, 07:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Tried that. No help.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jun 9 2005, 09:00 AM
You guys using a headphone output -- are you playing with the volume setting on the device?? Usually there'a a "sweet spot" where you can adjust it to be about the same as the line level output...
[snapback]137905[/snapback]
Old 06-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

I recommend getting the mini vs the shuffle because I don't think the shuffle has the ability to have line out; only headphone out. Aparently, it makes a HUGE difference.

Originally Posted by tcmalibu' date='Jun 8 2005, 05:21 PM
Would anyone out there be using a shuffle with the aux in and how it works for them?

TC
[snapback]137727[/snapback]
Old 06-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Contributors

Here's an interesting bit from a website discussing headphone output vs. line output. I'll bet it is similar for other MP3 players...

------

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>The Apple iPod is a very balanced player sonically. It is renowned for its clear, detailed sound and it doesn't provide emphasis on any particular frequency in its sound range. While this is beneficial, as it doesn't add any artifacts to the original recording, the iPod's sound has been described as 'flat' and uninvolving by some consumers due to this fact. Conversely, many of its competitors employ special processing - such as boosting bass response - in order to create a more 'fun' sonic character generally liked by these consumers. Therefore, in comparison, the iPod is seemingly lacking in bass.

It has also been discovered that when used in conjunction with certain headphones, there is an actual deficiency in the lower frequency response. A German magazine, Stereoplay, has published the following graph, showing poor bass response when using headphones with around 25 ohms of impedance.

ipod shuffle-ipodeq_01.jpg

Marc Heijligers states on his website he has further tested the iPod and concludes that there is a similar roll-off in bass for headphones ranging from 16 to 32 ohms. This is somewhat worrying, as most consumer headphones fit within this criteria - including the earphones bundled with the iPod itself. Personally, however, during testing with Sennheiser HD 497 headphones (which have an impedance of 32 ohms), I found the bass to be sufficiently present. It was not as strong as my Panasonic SL-CT500 MP3/CD player, but this is understandable as the Panasonic uses processing to artificially boost bass, as I have stated above. I do not have scientific proof of this, but I have come to this conclusion after comparing several sources.

In my opinion, the iPod's bass response is fine, its just that some people prefer a more dominant bass, as provided by players such as the iRiver H-Series, or my Panasonic CD player. While I can appreciate the accuracy quality of the iPod's sound, there are times when I too feel that some extra bass wouldn't hurt. This is entirely dependant on user preference, and even mood, so perhaps in acknowledgement of this, Apple has included several equalizer presets on the iPod. Many audio players have this feature, and some, such as the Rio Karma offer a parametric equalizer that can be used to tweak sound with great control over specific frequencies. An equalizer enables you to change the sound output of your player to suit your sonic preferences - for example, boosting or reducing bass or treble, in the simplest form of equalization. Unfortunately, however, unlike the Karma, the iPod's equalizer is horrible. Many users have found it distorts the sound far too easily, even on undemanding songs. This is a shame, as some of the iPod's equalizer presents can emulate the 'fun' character of other players and satisfy a wider range of users. In its current state, it is quite unusable.

</span>
Old 06-10-2005, 12:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Hopefully we'll be done worrying about this stuff in the near future:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12333

Quick Reply: ipod shuffle