E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I have an '08 with the full iPod integration. I had been using memory sticks, but finally broke down and purchased an iPod. i have been running into some problems and had some questions.

First, when the iPod is connected to the car, should there be any indication that the iPod is charging? I get the "connected" message on the iPod screen, but no change in the battery signal. Is this normal ?

And second, what do you do when you park the car? If i leave the iPod connected, when I restart the car it either takes a long time for the iPod info to "download" or it freezes up altogther and I need to unplug and replug it in. do you need to unplugthe iPod every time you turn off the car?

Thanks,

Rob
Old 11-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Members

Rob,
What kind of cable are you connecting the Ipod with? Does it plug into the usb and the aux? What kind of Ipod are you using? Do you have the latest update to Itunes? I am running a 30 gig Ipod video with the same setup as you and have not had any of your issues. I will check out your other questions and get back to you.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

The connected message is correct and the iPod is charging while it is plugged in. I simply leave mine in center console, always plugged in. I have never had an issue with battery drain, for now.

As for the timing, it does take a minute or two to load up but I have never had it freeze up as you describe. You are using the BMW supplied cable that plugs into the USB and Aux In jack I assume... When we bought the wife's X5 a few months ago, they failed to include cable and we did have some issues using the iPod USB connection. Went back to the dealer, got the proper cable and all is good. The dealer did not forget the cable when I got my 550 last week, works like a charm.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Thanks.

I am using the BMW supplied cable that plugs into both the USB and the AUX. The iPod is only a few weeks old - an 80 gig Classic with about 12 gigs of music on it now. I downloaded iTunes from Apple when I bought the iPod. It is the new version of iTune (with the multiple library feature).
Old 11-10-2007, 04:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by robg' post='492324' date='Nov 9 2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks.

I am using the BMW supplied cable that plugs into both the USB and the AUX. The iPod is only a few weeks old - an 80 gig Classic with about 12 gigs of music on it now. I downloaded iTunes from Apple when I bought the iPod. It is the new version of iTune (with the multiple library feature).

I checked my car and when I remove the cable, the Ipod is fully charged, even though I recieve no charging indication while it is plugged in. I am not having any of the delay problems you mention, so I don't have any good suggestions there.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by robg' post='492307' date='Nov 9 2007, 02:19 PM
I have an '08 with the full iPod integration. I had been using memory sticks, but finally broke down and purchased an iPod. i have been running into some problems and had some questions.

First, when the iPod is connected to the car, should there be any indication that the iPod is charging? I get the "connected" message on the iPod screen, but no change in the battery signal. Is this normal ?

And second, what do you do when you park the car? If i leave the iPod connected, when I restart the car it either takes a long time for the iPod info to "download" or it freezes up altogther and I need to unplug and replug it in. do you need to unplugthe iPod every time you turn off the car?

Thanks,

Rob
I have the issue with the "loading" message taking forever. I've not had it actually finish in a 30 minute commute. But, I can always turn it on and it goes into a "now playing" menu. Its the last playlist, artist, or whatever choice I was last on but it doesn't show the other songs, etc in the list. I then can go up to "playlist" and all are immediately available. I bet there's a bug in iDrive (my 550i is a July '07 build). It might also be the sheer quantity of music. I've got 1400 songs, 300 artists, almost 300 albums, and 20+ play lists (but none are more than 250 songs).

PS: I don't seem to have a charging issue but never looked at the display while in the car.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Rob, try my trick for the "loading" problem -- just press mute three times while the loading message is present. On my USB hard drive, it'll make the loading screen go away and start to play where you last left off...
Old 11-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='492627' date='Nov 10 2007, 11:37 AM
Rob, try my trick for the "loading" problem -- just press mute three times while the loading message is present. On my USB hard drive, it'll make the loading screen go away and start to play where you last left off...

Thanks. I try this trick next time it gets hung up. I think I will also get a new cable to see if that helps with charging issues. If not, maybe it is a wiring or software problem.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:00 AM
Members

iPod Classic doesn't work properly with 6FL. Check out this discussion:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?m...5984837#5984837
Old 12-01-2007, 03:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by ducalme' post='501409' date='Dec 1 2007, 05:00 AM
iPod Classic doesn't work properly with 6FL. Check out this discussion:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?m...5984837#5984837
Wow. I'm glad I cheaped out and bought a refurbished 5th gen iPod to replace my archaic 3rd gen unit that's not supported. I figured I didn't need to get fancy, since the thing will spend most of its life in my armrest.

Also, before you panic, be sure you have the latest version of the cable. BMW recently updated it to solve some iPod touch issues, and it might solve yours. The dealer should upgrade it for free.

Quick Reply: iPod Questions