E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ipod kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 BMW 525i - BIRTHDAY- 11/04 - EXTERIOR- Amethyst Gray Metallic. INTERIOR- Beige Dakota Leather w/Dark Poplar Grain Wood. OPTIONS- Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth using Verizon Raza V3c phone, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. ADD-ON's- 545i Chrome Grill, Euro Red Reflectors, Factory all-weater matts & Factory Coat-Hanger.

OK very upset, brought my car in for service yesterday for minor stuff... Needed break fluid replaced and my doors where still making noises after the last time they fixed the seals. My service guy still had on file that I asked about the ipod kid, I never onced mentioned it.

When I got there he started talking to me about the kit and said that they had numbers for it but bmw still hasn't actually gotten the kit and he would keep me up to date since I was the first person to ask him about it when bmw first was mentioned about it...

OK that night got a call that my car was done and all set to pick up and that he had some "bad" news about the ipod kit and he would show me when I got there.

OK showed me some paper and come to find out my car's build date is 11/04 and that non nav car's with build date of 03/05 (it was ether 03 or 04 I got so mad at that point I forgot) and that as of right now I wouldn't be able to get it, and that this info just came out today (yesterday 09/19)...

I am so upset I spend 50 plus on a car that I can't play MP3's (I think even Honda's can play them for pete sake) and that I can't even pay $300 of my own money plus what ever they charge me for putting the thing in, plus losing a 6 disk cd player that i paid extra for, because my car was made 4 months early.... I got a bmw 5 because every other car I have ever owned has always tried to be a 5 series (caddi SLS, Lexus 400, Lincoln LS, Infiniti I30) so I figure that why get an other car that wants to be a 5 series and just get a 5 series then I find out this crap, I mean this stinks.... I know it isn't that big of a deal but I'm so sick of making CD's with a 19 to 20 songs and listing to it over and over again when if I got say a M35 or an other GS I could just make a MP3 CD with what 170 songs on it?? I thought I was buying the best of the best....

plus not to change the subject but why would I have to bring my car in AGAIN to have the doors/windows fixed again? I read the paper work when my car was down and they said "both front door seals where replaced on last visit but were replaced w/ old style seals. Replaced all 4 door seals made with epdm + polyesterflock as per SIB 51 02 05." I mean how long was the new replacement been out? I had this done maybe a little over a month ago and I know that you guys have been saying about the new replacement for a while now so they should have known abou that no? Last thing how come every other car company puts you in a loaner car of there own? Lexus always put me in an other Lexus, Infiniti always put me into an other Infiniti, even Lincoln somtimes put me into an other Lincoln (but not all the time but still) what does BMW put me into???? a Kia??? Not to be a snob but I go from a 05 bmw 5 series to a Kia covered in cloth?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Contributors

Its good to vent... I just have a small question... They told you that your car cannot have MP3 in it? I have to say I disagree, because my 5 is 09/04 built and I got them to put MP3 in it as part of a software upgrade while I brought it for brake fluid replacement. I just printed an SIB I found on here and showed it to them and my friend Sam's car shown to them and they happily put MP3 in my car in one day. You should talk to them again about enabling it.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

Dude, it seems like MP3 capability is more important for you that the rest of the car... I suggest you relax a bit. True, it sux, but there is nothing you can do about it right now. If the MP3 is more important to you than driving a car like 5er, get something else that will play mp3s, otherwise just get AUX installed and enjoy your car.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:00 AM
Members

>OK showed me some paper and come to find out my car's build date >is 11/04 and that non nav car's with build date of 03/05 (it was ether >03 or 04 I got so mad at that point I forgot)

I share your pain with "early adopter syndrome" but I'm not sure this is the end of it. Is there anyone on the board who actually has got the I-POD working in a non-Nav pre 03/05 E60?

If not... I heard another rumour that BMW is working on a software fix to make the interface compatable with earlier build cars like ours. Fingers crossed time I guess?

In the mean time chill out, she may not play MP3s and she may creak like a Spanish Galleon in a force 10 but she don't half go
Old 09-20-2006, 09:02 AM
Members

The problem is not with your car it is with your dealer. As far MP3 adaptability goes, BMW was way ahead of most makes. Just some dealers aren't that bright. I got the aux input and Nav with DVD installed more than 2 years ago. I had to go to about 3 different dealers before I found one with the knowledge to make it happen.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 BMW 525i - BIRTHDAY- 11/04 - EXTERIOR- Amethyst Gray Metallic. INTERIOR- Beige Dakota Leather w/Dark Poplar Grain Wood. OPTIONS- Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth using Verizon Raza V3c phone, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. ADD-ON's- 545i Chrome Grill, Euro Red Reflectors, Factory all-weater matts & Factory Coat-Hanger.

Originally Posted by redondoman' post='336677' date='Sep 20 2006, 01:02 PM
The problem is not with your car it is with your dealer. As far MP3 adaptability goes, BMW was way ahead of most makes. Just some dealers aren't that bright. I got the aux input and Nav with DVD installed more than 2 years ago. I had to go to about 3 different dealers before I found one with the knowledge to make it happen.
Thanks (well most of you) I was just venting and honestly MP3 really isn't that much of a big deal to me, it's just the point... sorry TexaZ3 didn't understand that, that something like MP3 audio comes stock in a 18K car but a 50k+ car you don't get it, or if you do they try to charge you to update your computer when they should do that for free anyway with out having to make up problems with your car so they will do it under warrenty... I mean come on an update is an update which means there was somthing wrong in the first place for them to update it, no?????

That is all I'm saying.... Infiniti you go to there service department and they would kiss your butt they would give you a free loaner for anything, if you where just getting an oil change and needed to run to the store or something , be my guest take an infiniti.. they would wash and clean the inside and outside of your car ..... great service ..... and I'm sure someone like TexaZ3 will say then why didn't you just get an other Infiniti so we don't have to listen to you wine. and the anwser is I wanted a BMW, I wanted a 5 series... I fell in love with the E60's looks from the first moment that I saw it on a mag, first time I saw it in person.. loved it, still do, and I didn't get it the first time around because I didn't think I could afford it or didn't want to work for a car payment.... but then I got a great deal and I had to jump on it, and don't get me wrong I still love my car, it is just you pay all this money and you just want a return on it or at least get your moneys worth no what I mean???? Not drive around in a Kia or be told your car is 4 months to old sorry.. that is all i'm saying....
Old 09-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='336648' date='Sep 20 2006, 11:43 AM
Its good to vent... I just have a small question... They told you that your car cannot have MP3 in it? I have to say I disagree, because my 5 is 09/04 built and I got them to put MP3 in it as part of a software upgrade while I brought it for brake fluid replacement. I just printed an SIB I found on here and showed it to them and my friend Sam's car shown to them and they happily put MP3 in my car in one day. You should talk to them again about enabling it.
ya that's what they said he brought up some SIB and it said that my car was to old for it and they didn't have any plans on having it work, and to be honest w/u I was more looking forward to using my ipod anyway... I sent an email to BMW so we will see what they say. Thanks for this reply...
Old 09-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Senior Members

Why don't you just trade your car in on an '05 or '06 525 with Nav? You wont lose that much out of the deal, especially if you buy a used one that has similar mileage to yours. I obviously don't know your financial situation so it may not be an option, but just an idea.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Members

The problem is not with your car it is with your dealer. As far MP3 adaptability goes, BMW was way ahead >of most makes. Just some dealers aren't that bright. I got the aux input and Nav with DVD installed more >than 2 years ago. I had to go to about 3 different dealers before I found one with the knowledge to make >it happen.

Yes but this is different, I think it works like this:

If early E60 AND No Navigation AND No Professional Radio = Can Never Play MP3s in the CD slot
If early E60 AND Navigation Then Professional Radio is installed by default = Can with the right CIP play MP3
If early E60 AND No Navigation AND Professional Radio option= Can with the right CIP play MP3
Old 09-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

how can you tell one has prof. radio or bus. radio?

Quick Reply: Ipod kit