E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ipod intregration and charging

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows there is a charging adaptor available from BMW for those who have the intregrated iPod connections in the console. As some of you know, the two port adaptor will not support charging in most cases with the iPhone 3, 3gs, 4 and touch iPods. BMW NA now has an adaptor that utilizes the power adaptor in the console so that you can charge these devise whilst enjoying the usage of them! I will attach a pdf that provides the part number and the part is available at your local dealer, or perhaps you might have an alternate source for ordering parts. - Tony[attachment=149810:V-13-1010-6515_iPhone_charging_cable1.pdf]
Old 02-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

So it looks like you use this in conjunction with your current iDock cable that originally plugs into the USB and AUX input? Anybody know how much this unit goes for?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by xcntrk
So it looks like you use this in conjunction with your current iDock cable that originally plugs into the USB and AUX input? Anybody know how much this unit goes for?
It says 79.00 MSRP but better check with you local dealer, unless someone know where else to get it through an internet source.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

What year does this affect? I have the usb/aux input in my armrest of a 2008 550 and the Dual usp/aux ipod connector charges my Iphone 3, 3gs and now my 4. This adapter is from my old 2007 X5 with 0 440 736 as the number on the side of the part.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

Not sure, I guess those like me who's adaptor will not charge the iPhone knows... I have a 2008 535i with the USB and AUX in the console but when I use the adaptor that came with the car it will not charge my 3gs or my touch. It does charge my nano all day long... The sad part is, I don't have a power adaptor in the console, just the two on the back side for the rear passengers. So I had to add one last weekend. So now just wainting on the new adaptor I ordered from work and then all should be ok.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

Question, does the iPod say it is an unapproved adapter or does it just not charge with no message I would talk to you SA about this because my old 2007 X5, my 2011 x5 and my 2008 550 all charged my ipod classic, nano, touch gen1, iPhone, iPhone 3, iPhone 3G and my IPhone 4. This may be an adapter issue and not necessarily the car. Or it could be an issue with the car.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Senior Members

If I recall correctly, it said the device was not supported and charging was not possible. It said the same thing for the 3gs and touch. So I am guessing the USB does not supply enough juice to charge these devices. The nano works and charges correctly. I have a 2011 X5 3.5d but I don't think I have an ipod cable in there. It has the system where you down load to the car so I haven't looked for the a cable. I'll be a the dealer tomorow so I will ask them and see what they say. When I came across the ipod adapotor it made perfect sense.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535i X Drive (current) 2008 335Xi Coupe (retired) 2005 X3

Wow, no issues with mine. I have a 2009 535i X Drive and use the Amazon.com Y cable for $29.95. Works great with both my iPhone 4 & iPod Touch. Charging, control, & audio, all work fine.

Funny how it works in some & not in others.....
Old 02-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
If I recall correctly, it said the device was not supported and charging was not possible. It said the same thing for the 3gs and touch. So I am guessing the USB does not supply enough juice to charge these devices. The nano works and charges correctly. I have a 2011 X5 3.5d but I don't think I have an ipod cable in there. It has the system where you down load to the car so I haven't looked for the a cable. I'll be a the dealer tomorow so I will ask them and see what they say. When I came across the ipod adapotor it made perfect sense.
When was your build date of your 2011 X5? Do you have a combobox? My 2011 with a combo box utilizes the white iPod cable and charges every USB iPod I have plugged into it.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

Ok, I checked my cable in the 5 and it says 0 440 796 so the last three digits are a little different. I'm not sure if your cable is available. I was just at the dealer and they checked with a new cable, same number as I have and it still would not charge. As soon as you plug it in you get a the yellow triangle warning on the iPhone screen. The dealer was of no help they only pointed towards the bulletin that I posted. When the wife gets home I will check in the X5 and see if there is a cable there. Not sure what you mean when you say "combo box" but there is nothing in the CC of the X5, only the glove box. There was a USB ports and no aux that I saw, so I plugged a usb in there and it suck all the music in to a hard drive of some sort. I need to get the book out and read a little more on this....

Quick Reply: Ipod intregration and charging