E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ipod intergation kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 01:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It costs $899+tax at my dealer, is there any aftermaket places or anything I could do to get this for cheaper?
Old 05-25-2007, 03:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by DoanThaiTu' post='428170' date='May 25 2007, 10:10 AM
It costs $899+tax at my dealer, is there any aftermaket places or anything I could do to get this for cheaper?
I just had it fitted by my local BMW Dealer. Apparently it takes approx 4 hours to reprogram the interface into the car, so i dont think it would an easy aftermarket fix.

On the plus side, its a full integration with the iDrive screen, so you can select artists, albums, etc via iDrive.

Limitations :-

(a) if you have a lot of music on your iDrive it will take ages to load up the artist list - and it does this every time you switch the car off. Mine had around 5500 songs on it, and i could easily be in the car, out of the driveway and a couple of miles down the road before the artist list would populate. Also v annoying when you want to change artists. I subsequently reduced my songlist to 2200 and its a lot more bearable

(b) you lose the ability to have a cd changer in your car

? to select the artist list you select 'CD 2', to select by album its 'CD 3' (i think). To me thats very clumsy - why cant it say Artist or Album?

(d) When you switch the car off it resets back to the start of a track, only slightly annoying with music, but i'd imagine very annoying if you were listening to a pod cast or ebook...

Other than that, very nice....
Old 05-25-2007, 03:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring (E61). Silver Grey, Automatic, Professional SatNav, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, 6CD changer, Bi-Xenons, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by pgilc1' post='428187' date='May 25 2007, 06:47 AM
I just had it fitted by my local BMW Dealer. Apparently it takes approx 4 hours to reprogram the interface into the car, so i dont think it would an easy aftermarket fix.

On the plus side, its a full integration with the iDrive screen, so you can select artists, albums, etc via iDrive.

Limitations :-

(a) if you have a lot of music on your iDrive it will take ages to load up the artist list - and it does this every time you switch the car off. Mine had around 5500 songs on it, and i could easily be in the car, out of the driveway and a couple of miles down the road before the artist list would populate. Also v annoying when you want to change artists. I subsequently reduced my songlist to 2200 and its a lot more bearable

(b) you lose the ability to have a cd changer in your car

? to select the artist list you select 'CD 2', to select by album its 'CD 3' (i think). To me thats very clumsy - why cant it say Artist or Album?

(d) When you switch the car off it resets back to the start of a track, only slightly annoying with music, but i'd imagine very annoying if you were listening to a pod cast or ebook...

Other than that, very nice....
I had the iPod integration on my last car and I also found it frustrating to have to wait for the artist list to load up especially as my home to work journey is quite short. I ended up burning CDs with mp3 format songs and listening to those instead..!
Old 05-25-2007, 05:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DoanThaiTu' post='428170' date='May 25 2007, 05:10 AM
The average installed price I?ve seen (remember, the part lists for $319) has been around $550.

If your car is under warranty and your dealer is installing the Interface for iPod, you do not have to pay for the cost of updating your car?s software. That is covered by warranty. Most dealers are aware of this at this point (the product?s been out for almost 10 months now and I?ve had mine for almost a full year).

Despite some limitations, it?s an excellent (and really the only) way to enjoy your iPod in the car. The quirks of the interface are no big deal after you use it a few times.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray / Steptronic / Sport Package w/ active steering, adaptive xenons, sport seats, 18" style 124 wheels / Logic 7 sound / PDC / Bluetooth / iPod Integration

That price ($899) is simply absurd!! I just had mine done with the part costing $299 and $140 for labor for a total cost of $439. At this price it is absolutely worth it. The key is to setup playlists with 500 songs w/o nav and 1000 songs w/ nav. The load time drops to a few seconds.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Members

well, where could I get it installed for $439? my car is still under warranty, so if I could install the part and just needed my iDrive to be updated then I just take my car to the dealer and tell them to do it? please help.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Members

My Ride: '11 535i Space Grey Met. w/ Blk Dakota Leather, Executive Package, M-Sport Package, Dynamic Handling Package, 35% tint '06 525i Titanium Silver (retired) Premium pkg, PDC, Logic 7, adaptive headlights std. items - xenons, cold weather pkg mods so far - red euro reflectors, UGDO & compass rearview mirror, 35% tint, H&R Sport Springs, 18" style 124 OEM rims

Originally Posted by DoanThaiTu' post='428170' date='May 25 2007, 02:10 AM

Hi

I really recommend that you contact Garry Romani (Parts Manager) at BMW of Newport. See the top post on the Parts/Mods discussion for details on this dealer. His e-mail is gromani@bmwofnewport.com

I just purchased the iPod MOST bus integration kit (for the E60) from him an he offers a significant savings off the MSRP of $299. Great price, great service, great to deal with. I can't say enough good thing....I will now automatically go to Garry for all my parts.

On install, my dealer is only charging me 1 hr labour ($115 Canadian) for install and programming is under warranty.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray / Steptronic / Sport Package w/ active steering, adaptive xenons, sport seats, 18" style 124 wheels / Logic 7 sound / PDC / Bluetooth / iPod Integration

Originally Posted by DoanThaiTu' post='428467' date='May 26 2007, 03:11 AM
well, where could I get it installed for $439? my car is still under warranty, so if I could install the part and just needed my iDrive to be updated then I just take my car to the dealer and tell them to do it? please help.
Find another dealer who is not looking to screw you.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:54 AM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

Originally Posted by DoanThaiTu' post='428170' date='May 25 2007, 02:10 AM
Hi-

I would find another dealer. I had mine installed for $578 including tax. That was even overpriced, as I called another dealer and they would do it for $450. I went ahead with the $578 price only because my car was already at the dealer, I already had their loaner car, and I didn't think the extra time to go through dropping the car off at the other dealer on another day was worth the $100 savings.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='428201' date='May 25 2007, 09:25 AM
The average installed price I?ve seen (remember, the part lists for $319) has been around $550.

If your car is under warranty and your dealer is installing the Interface for iPod, you do not have to pay for the cost of updating your car?s software. That is covered by warranty. Most dealers are aware of this at this point (the product?s been out for almost 10 months now and I?ve had mine for almost a full year).

Despite some limitations, it?s an excellent (and really the only) way to enjoy your iPod in the car. The quirks of the interface are no big deal after you use it a few times.
That's what the dealer wanted to charge me. I'll get it done down the road.

Quick Reply: Ipod intergation kit