E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod Interface

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 03:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i 2007, Adaptive Headlights (Xenon), Auto AC Extended, Logic7, Bluetooth, PDC

So, if I have to choose between the CD changer and the new iPod interface, I hope I just connect the iPod to the new interface and it works just like the CD changer, that is, I will not have to turn the iPod on/off every time I enter/leave my car (it turns itself on/off automatically), and it resumes playing from where it last stopped, right? Anyone?
Old 06-25-2006, 05:51 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I will not have to turn the iPod on/off every time I enter/leave my car (it turns itself on/off automatically), and it resumes playing from where it last stopped, right? Anyone?
I have the Monster Cable charger, and it has this feature. When I turn off the car, the cable pauses the iPod, and then the iPod shuts down after a few minutes.

I've decided not to get the BMW iPod interface.

I already have the AUX input, and it works. The iPod sits by my shifter, so it's easy to operate.

Plus, I was thinking about it..... Did you notice how everyone here was chomping at the bit for the Moto RAZR snap-in adapter for the longest time? Then, when it comes out finally.... the RAZR is basically outdated. So why spend money on the adapter, if you might be getting a whole new, better phone soon?

Well, the same could be true for the iPod. What if Apple introduces some new iPod, and it doesn't use the same dock connector? Or it has features which BMW has not anticipated, and they won't work with the interface?

Or what if someone else makes an iPod competitor and it's better? Example, Microsoft is working on an MP3 player.... what if they make one that has gapless playback? I'd ditch the iPod in a New York minute if I could have gapless plackback.

So.... I've decided to just stick with the AUX input. It leaves the options open for other devices in the future.