E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ipod interface for 2004

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 06:17 AM
MDT
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

I have read in different places that my 2004 525i could not be fitted with the ipod interface and that I would have to settle for the aux. input. My dealer also told me this when I called him. I then called BMW NA, gave them the vin # of my car, and to my surprize was told that their is an ipod interface for my car.

I have a 3/13//04 build 525i without navigation. They told me they had two interfaces and I needed the Most-Bus interface. The other one was for cars with navigation. BMW NA said this interface will work with cars built after Sept 2003.

They gave me a part# 6511 0403 651, which they said retails for $299.00. I called my dealer back, he checked the part number and determined they had one in stock, and after looking at the specs, he now told me my car could have the ipod interface installed.

I have heard all different stories of interfaces not working, but since both BMW NA and my dealer say it will work, I may be a guinea pig and go for it. If it doesn't work I don't see how they could charge me for a full install after they indicated it would work.

Has anyone else actually had an ipod interface installed in a 2004? If I go ahead with it, I'll keep everyone posted on how it worked out. My only hesitation from doing it right away is the CIP update they would do in conjuntion with the install would be version 23.02 or 23.03 I think. I have heard of eyebrow light issues with this version and my have to wait until it is corrected.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

Please keep me posted and let me know if it works. I have a very similar configuration as you do. Thanks
Old 11-30-2006, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

I just got a call from my SA, he will send me a fax with information of why this cannot be done.

I also found the part number you mentioned at this website:

http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/acc.htm

Search for E60, Ipod Interface and then look at the "more info" link on the part number.

I sure do hope it works for you
Old 11-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

It should work with the right software update to your vehicle. Unfortunately, there is a small problem with the latest version of Progman.

You can read all about it in this thread started by Cobradav, one of the resident tech gods.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=33225&hl=ipod
Old 12-01-2006, 07:44 AM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='362184' date='Nov 30 2006, 09:41 AM
I just got a call from my SA, he will send me a fax with information of why this cannot be done.

I also found the part number you mentioned at this website:

http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/acc.htm

Search for E60, Ipod Interface and then look at the "more info" link on the part number.

I sure do hope it works for you
Wiu-Bimmer

After I read your post, I called BMW NA back. This time I must have talked to a better informed person, because your info is correct. The first person I spoke with must have read the 05 in the year as 03 off the computer screen, and told me the interface would work from an 9/03 build on instead of the correct info, which is it will work from a 9/05 build on

Since I am going to have the TCU replaced under the recall, I asked if it would work with the new TCU in March 2004 build car. They didn't know the answer, so I am now in the process of trying to get an answer from my dealer. My SA needs to talk to the technician to figure out if the interface will work with a new TCU in and older car. Maybe somebody on this board knows the answer. I any case, I'll keep the board posted as to what I find out.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

I believe the TCU controls the telematics only, ie, phone and BMW Assist.

I too had an early production E60. I was told by BMWNA that a future software update would allow the ipod interface with all E60's. I am not sure if that update has been released as yet.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Members

I just had the interface installed last week. I have a 01/04 prod model w/ nav, everything works just fine. The cost $300 for unit and $200 install, pretty expensive but I love it.

It replaced my 6 disc CDC (ok, cause I really didn't use it), but still kept sat radio and aux input. Dealer had my car for 2 days, you will req sw update.

Max song tracks is 500 (7 series is 1,000) still plently of music, you can create play list for another 500 songs so you really can get 1,000 if want it.

Haven't noticed any performance problems with sw updated just i-drive info menu a little different. So far all is ok.....
Old 12-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Members

>I just had the interface installed last week. I have a 01/04 prod model w/ nav, everything works just fine. The cost $300 for unit and $200 install, pretty expensive but I love it.

I think the fact you have NAV is significant. I think have no proof of this but I think this is the same old problem with early release cars and MP3 CD compatabilty come back to haunt us. Those of us with older E60s without NAV have business radio. Somehow BMW cut corners and the dash CD can never read or display CD Text.

I think this also causes problems with the BMW I-POD interface, since it is also trying to display text while emulating a CD Changer. I'm also wondering if it will be the same problem on the long awaited Dension interface.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:50 PM
MDT
Members

Now I am confused, I just checked back with BMW NA for a third time, and a new person told me that they do now make an ipod interface for any e60 produced after 9/2003. I inquired as to what document indicated that, and he told me it is in a email he received two weeks ago. He then checked the computer info that the dealer looks at and said it now also indicates that the interface will work with any e60 produced after 9/2003. It also works with cars without navigation. In an even newer email, he said that if you have software version 23.02 or newer, it will not work. But, they are working on a fix. I think I read somewhere that version 24 is here or just about here.

Needless to say, I am going to be in touch with my dealer again to try and nail down if this is really good info. Hopefully I will hear good news.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

yes software version 23.01 worked correctly with the interface and then version 23.02 did not....and people were told to wait for an upgrade... version 24 is released, it was mostly to address the eyebrows not working on version 23.02 but im dont know if they also repaired the interface problem...

Quick Reply: Ipod interface for 2004