E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

IPOD integration for '04 BMW 545i

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. I just purchased a 2004 BMW 545i, and I'm having some difficulty finding a good option to integrate my Ipod (so that all my playlists, etc will show on the vehicle's I-DRIVE screen and able to be manipulated by the I-DRIVE knob, as opposed to having to do everything on the Ipod itself). The vehicle has navigation and the premium sound system, if that helps.

DICE seems to only offer this up to 2003 year 5-series vehicles.

Hope to hear from you guys soon...

Thanks a bunch,
Maximus
Old 07-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Senior Members

Welcome to the forums......

Here's two good places to start.

This thread will clarify the DIY process:
https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...pod+integration

Here you can find the OEM kit to do the install:
http://www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com/BMW-iP...bmw-ipodint.htm

Not sure if a 2004 is prewired but maybe someone will chime in?

Good Luck!
Old 12-22-2009, 10:50 AM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by nwilliams' post='955948' date='Jul 28 2009, 01:38 AM
Welcome to the forums......

Here's two good places to start.

This thread will clarify the DIY process:
https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...pod+integration

Here you can find the OEM kit to do the install:
http://www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com/BMW-iP...bmw-ipodint.htm

Not sure if a 2004 is prewired but maybe someone will chime in?

Good Luck!
Hi all - I am going through that with my 2006 550i. I recently took it to the dealership (Reeves BMW in Tampa, FL) for my last warranty service and asked about i-Pod integration.

The one thing I found out is to install an i-Pod port/plug-in, they remove the CD changer and charge $850 plus tax to do it. I have NOT gotten it done as I think it is ridiculous to have paid almost 2,000 for the premium audio (Logic 7) system and they'd just remove the changer AND charge me almost $1000 on top. Grant you, if you have an i-Pod connected you don't need the changer but $1000 for the work? and get a useless CD changer out of that?? I think not. What they did tell me is they have to remove the CD changer to integrate the i-Pod into the I-Drive.

I'd previously gone to Best Buy Audio and the slacker there told me they charge $250 to do it - I thought THAT was expensive. And also, I didn't want to trust a 18 year old punk tearing into my car without experience.

Does anyone know of any options? Any place you'd recommend to have it done? A Specialy Audio shop I suppose? Anyway, feel free to write back - try me at <santiago.fonseca@us.army.mil> if it's easier.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS/MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!!

Santiago
Old 12-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Members

I am in the same boat, don't listen to anyone about free updates for your car it does not apply, if u go aftermarket u will spend $300 fir the Denison unit then $200 for dealer to code it, I am going to the dealer they said $550 and comes with installation and warranty-- besides the rds unit that dice sells for $129 it's really your best option
Old 12-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I had the OEM BMW adaptor installed on my '04 545. It is connected in the glove box, replacing the 6-disc changer. All US E60's have the basic wiring in place for the 6-disc so even if the car does not have the changer it can still be installed. As a prior post indicated, there is likely a software update or activation required by the dealer though some have reported a successful plug and play install, depending on the software version. If you don't have the changer a trip to the dealer for activation is highly likely as the iDrive system must be "told" the changer/iPod adaptor is installed.

The BMW adaptor has some limitations on the number of playlists and songs that can be handled. Can't recall the number but it was something like 250 songs or playlists. Can't remember and the documentation I had went with the car when I sold it. The BMW kit is a workaround with some flaws but even with the song limitation, the capacity was WAY more than 6 CD's. The changer can't handle MP3's, so loading a bunch of songs that way. Bottom line, I really like the adaptor and used it every day. It keeps the iPod charged so I just bought a lower end Nano and left it in the glove box.

There are third party adaptors as well such as the Dension Gateway offering.

Do some research in the links nwilliams provided, can't recall if there are any compatibility issues with the newer iPod models... Good luck
Old 12-23-2009, 12:28 AM
Vas
Members

My Ride: 550i 2006 comfort/active seats, active steering, active lights, active cruise control, comfort entry, TV, Pro logic 7 sound, bloody fast too.

try this link, they're quite helpful.
http://stores.homestead.com/2point5