E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ipod information

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 03:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d se, Black, HID lights, Beam washers, electrical seats, steering conrols, automatic light, Automatic wipers. RFTyres, SAT-NAV,

I have fallen into the ipod trap!.
I removed my CD changer from the glove compartment and fitted a genuine BMW
ipod interface
I got hold of an ipod nano and it is 3rd ot 4th generation and plugged it in.
The people who supplied the ipod interface in Germany told me that I need to perform
coding on my vehicle. This I am trying to avoid like the plague
When I plug in the ipod, the ipod screen shows the BMW logo and according to the
book I should control it from the idrive.
The CD1,2,3,4,5,6 are not highlighted. Thought I can get away with this. Heard some stories of some ipods
do not work the same. Any body can offer a ray of light?
Old 09-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 05-530i and 06 530xit

That's why you need to get your car coded, 1)so it can recoginze the ipod interface, 2) Be able to display the correct menus so it can operate, and 3) To ensure the text will be transfered and you will be able to view it on your display screen
Old 09-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

Originally Posted by dello' post='1014830' date='Sep 23 2009, 08:46 AM
That's why you need to get your car coded, 1)so it can recoginze the ipod interface, 2) Be able to display the correct menus so it can operate, and 3) To ensure the text will be transfered and you will be able to view it on your display screen
By "coding" it means you need to have BMW perform a software update.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by heavy_g' post='1014834' date='Sep 23 2009, 10:49 AM
By "coding" it means you need to have BMW perform a software update.
Yep, you cant avoid it a visit to either the dealer or a garage with autologic is required. They need to enable mp3 playback, there are tons of posts on this in the DIY section.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:03 AM
bmx
Members

Originally Posted by sputnik' post='1014676' date='Sep 23 2009, 06:51 AM
I have fallen into the ipod trap!.
I removed my CD changer from the glove compartment and fitted a genuine BMW
ipod interface
I got hold of an ipod nano and it is 3rd ot 4th generation and plugged it in.
The people who supplied the ipod interface in Germany told me that I need to perform
coding on my vehicle. This I am trying to avoid like the plague
When I plug in the ipod, the ipod screen shows the BMW logo and according to the
book I should control it from the idrive.
The CD1,2,3,4,5,6 are not highlighted. Thought I can get away with this. Heard some stories of some ipods
do not work the same. Any body can offer a ray of light?
I'm wondering if there's such an update that enables ipod to play music through bluetooth like on new Camry?
Old 09-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bmx' post='1014958' date='Sep 23 2009, 01:03 PM
I'm wondering if there's such an update that enables ipod to play music through bluetooth like on new Camry?
No. 2 reasons: 1) The iPod does not support bluetooth, and 2) the BMW does not support stereo headphone bluetooth protocols.

Now, that being said, the latest iPhone software DOES support stereo headphone bluetooth protocols - but it doesn't do any good unless BMW also supports the protocol, which it currently doesn't.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 08' 550i

Good Luck...i got it installed from the dealer right after i baught the car...took them 2 days to re-program the whole car cuz their laptop kept freezing...
Old 09-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 M5 (Sepang Bronze/Natural Brown) Eisenmann Exhaust with Miesterchaft Sections 1 & 2 Evosport Headers Evosport Pulley RPi Scoops & Block Off Plates with BMC Filters Eibach Pro-Kit Springs 20" Breyton Race CS in Polished Silver

Same here, just installed the interface and it wont read it. I booked an appointemtn on Monday to have it coded at the dealer!

Just walk in there and tell them your car wont play MP3, and that you demand they code your car as per BMW Service Bulletin SIB653005 dated March 2006. If your car is under warranty, this is covered.

This bulletin is on a "customer complaint" basis only, therefore they wont do it unless you complain.

Here it is http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachmen...mp;d=1182612231
Old 09-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d se, Black, HID lights, Beam washers, electrical seats, steering conrols, automatic light, Automatic wipers. RFTyres, SAT-NAV,

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='1014912' date='Sep 23 2009, 07:06 PM
Yep, you cant avoid it a visit to either the dealer or a garage with autologic is required. They need to enable mp3 playback, there are tons of posts on this in the DIY section.
My Mechanic is very well equipped and he has the Bosch
He says he once used it to perform coding on a benz but he does not know how to do the coding on the BMW or at least never did it.
He has the BOSCH scantool KCS670. If somebody knows how this can be done appreciated.

I fear the BMW garage like the Black Plague! Very expensive and they conduct experiments on your car!
Old 09-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by sputnik' post='1015548' date='Sep 24 2009, 02:45 AM
My Mechanic is very well equipped and he has the Bosch
He says he once used it to perform coding on a benz but he does not know how to do the coding on the BMW or at least never did it.
He has the BOSCH scantool KCS670. If somebody knows how this can be done appreciated.

I fear the BMW garage like the Black Plague! Very expensive and they conduct experiments on your car!
Sorry to go but you just made it sound like all BMWs that go into the dealership have anal probing done to them I, for one, think it was really funny (though, I fear, unintended).

As for the scantool - I'm not sure exactly which one it is that they use, but several shops around NY have the tools and the know-how to do the coding, but when I inquired as to how much it would be, I was actually quoted more than the dealership. Maybe my case is unique, but I'd definitely find out how much the dealer wants to perform this - if for no other reason, then just to compare.

GL and keep us posted

Quick Reply: ipod information