E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

IPod and IDrive interface usabliity

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have just brought my car home after having had the ipod connector installed in the glovebox. This means I have only had a short play with it so far and a quick read through the manual.

That said the size of the manual means it only requires a quick read.

My question is regarding the usability of the interface if my understanding of it is correct and whether or not anyone has found a way of working with it:

The software re-uses the CD changer interface with each disk representing a different view on the songs (playlists, artists, albums, genre, pod casts and all songs).

It works ok with low volume lists such as play lists or genres but doesn't have a clue with long ones such as artists let alone songs.

I have about 300 artists and the interface is slow slow (no where near as fast as even the phone book), therefore scrolling to S for example is not viable. Sadly as far as I can tell it doesn't support the same practical options as phone book such as browse to letter and then scroll. Stupid me was expecting the extended voice control would let me just say ipod artist sting and it would just pop up!

So the only way of making it work I can think of is disconnecting it and moving the tracks into the on the g playlist before reconnecting and playing that way - far from ideal.

Anyone know of a better way of living with this?

Thanks,

Chris.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cmoore' post='354669' date='Nov 10 2006, 06:03 PM
Anyone know of a better way of living with this?
Having a way to jump to a letter would be nice. So would having shuffle. I see the option to "random directory" but this seems to jump between artist groupings. Not a true shuffle of songs. I don't listen by artist or album very much. I make heavy use of 'Smart play lists' and listen this way. There are between 100-600 songs in each of my smart play lists and that number seems to work well. You may be able to do the same for album or artist names (ex. A-C, D-F, G-K, etc.). I know that's not ideal but it may help.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:30 PM
JMB
Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='354700' date='Nov 11 2006, 02:10 AM
Having a way to jump to a letter would be nice. So would having shuffle. I see the option to "random directory" but this seems to jump between artist groupings. Not a true shuffle of songs.
Mine has the "random all" option as well. It's a shuffle for all the songs. The problem I detected is that after turning off the system and restarting again, it forgets the option (although it appears as ticked in the menu). I have to un-tick and tick again to come back to shuffle.

I don't listen by artist or album very much. I make heavy use of 'Smart play lists' and listen this way. There are between 100-600 songs in each of my smart play lists and that number seems to work well. You may be able to do the same for album or artist names (ex. A-C, D-F, G-K, etc.). I know that's not ideal but it may help.
Yep. This is what I do.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Members

My Ride: Current: 2006 550 - Sport & Cold Weather Packages, Premium Audio and Navigation, Monaco Blue and Biege Previous: 2001 330Ci - Sport & Premium Packages, Orient Blue and Biege

Has anybody noticed any peformance difference between iPod models?

Are the Flash ones any faster on iDrive than the HD ones?
Old 11-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bobbybass' post='360809' date='Nov 26 2006, 02:52 PM
Has anybody noticed any peformance difference between iPod models?

Are the Flash ones any faster on iDrive than the HD ones?
I haven't tried. I might have to dust off my Nano and give it a shot but my guess is that if it IS faster isn't only because there are fewer songs to index.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

I have to say my flash nano is alot faster then my HD version. It access the information on my nano alot faster and smoother. just my findings. I had to set up playlist as well..