E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ipod help..

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 07:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 1) 2004 BMW 530IAlpine WhiteLuxury PackageNavigation 2) 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Alright guys, need some help.

I need to use my ipod nano in my 530i, what do i do to do this?

Whats my best option? and then the most efficient option?

I hear there is this device that you plug in to your ciggerate lighter adaptor, which plugs into your ipod and you play through your radio? Whats the sound like on that?

Could you guys also throw in a dollar amount as that would also play a role in my final decesion!

Thanks for the help!!
Old 05-26-2006, 07:59 AM
Senior Members

What year 530? Today the best option would be the Aux input. It's standard on the 2007's and a dealer installed option on the earlier models. In June/July there will be a new iPod adapter that will be even better and give you more control from the steering wheel and iDrive. The FM modulators aren't worth it unless you travel and get rental cars alot.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

Ipod in the car ....

Right .... there are 2 options:

1. Aux input - a 'headphone jack' style 3.5mm socket connected to the radio

Has to be installed by the dealer as it requires a software update. Loads of cost info on the forum if you do a search. Has to be said it's expensive for what it is - in the UK I reckon about ?150 all in.

Issues:

a. Sound quality - initially this is not that great - but 'my530i' posted a superb fix for this on the forum. All you do is snip out some inline resistors in the cable that muffle the bass response and ..... voila ... it sounds great.

b. Connections - to get the most out of the aux input you MUST use the line out from the bottom connector of your nano. The best cable for this is the 'monster cable low-profile' one ... (DO NOT buy the belkin version). This cable has a cigarette lighter style plug one end and the other end connects to the base of the nano. Importantly .... it also has a 3.5mm jack which is an unamplified TRUE line out. To use this you need a power source and a simple 3.5mm to 3.5mmm stereo cable.

I got my leads from amazon - the monster one was about ?20 and the stereo jack ?1

c. Where to put it..... You need to reach the ipod while driving ... so I bought a 'proclip' non-damaging mount and holder and fixed it to the lower part of the centre console. I had an extra power socket and the aux input fitted into the passenger footwell and hid the cables under the trim like this ....

2. If you don't want the above .... you can wait for the official BMW integrated kit to be available, which will give limited control from the steering wheel buttons and idrive.

This has been about to be released for a year at least and has still not arrived.