E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod adapter question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i, Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Automatic, Premium, Cold Weather, Xenons.

I have searched for all the messages on the board regarding the iPod adapter controled via iDrive. The on thing that keeps coming up is the bug regarding the random play feature where it plays only one or two random songs and then reverts to playing songs in order on the iPod. I was wondering from those of you who have gotten the adapter recently if this issue been fixed or is it still a problem? The shuffle feature on my iPod is really all that I use so it would be a deal breaker for me if it does not work correctly with the adapter. Thank you.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Formula1' post='435064' date='Jun 12 2007, 05:05 PM
I have searched for all the messages on the board regarding the iPod adapter controled via iDrive. The on thing that keeps coming up is the bug regarding the random play feature where it plays only one or two random songs and then reverts to playing songs in order on the iPod. I was wondering from those of you who have gotten the adapter recently if this issue been fixed or is it still a problem? The shuffle feature on my iPod is really all that I use so it would be a deal breaker for me if it does not work correctly with the adapter. Thank you.

as far as i know i havent been able to figure out how to use the shuffle feature while its plugged in to the idrive because the ipod itself is in-operable while pluged in and must be controled solely through the I-drive and the Idrive unfortunatly dosent give you a shuffle feature... yes i know it sucks... the best thing u can do is go to the recently played folder and ride with those songs...... if im wrong on any of this some 1 chime in....
Old 06-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

Shuffle itself is not accessible but you can create the same effect using a smart playlist that randomizes. It provides the same effect.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='435086' date='Jun 12 2007, 03:00 PM
Shuffle itself is not accessible but you can create the same effect using a smart playlist that randomizes. It provides the same effect.
I notice it too. :thumbsdown:
The playlist also "disappeared" when I stop the car and start it later.
Other than the current song, the rest of the current playlist is gone and I'd have to "reloaded".
Thus, starting the entire list from song 1 again
Combining with the fact that the ipod doesn't recharges thru the connection and I always forget to bring it into the house to recharge...
for an added upgrade, I don't know if it's worth the money as compares to a cable from the glove box.
Oh well...
Old 06-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pskj' post='435095' date='Jun 12 2007, 06:33 PM
Combining with the fact that the ipod doesn't recharges thru the connection and I always forget to bring it into the house to recharge...
clarification on this ... mine does charge, actually it stays with the bmw logo even when I take the key out of the ignition...
you may want to check on your but i know mine has always kept me with a full battery for when i take it on the go...
Old 06-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Mine does charge too.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pskj' post='435095' date='Jun 12 2007, 06:33 PM
I notice it too. :thumbsdown:
The playlist also "disappeared" when I stop the car and start it later.
Other than the current song, the rest of the current playlist is gone and I'd have to "reloaded".
Thus, starting the entire list from song 1 again
for an added upgrade, I don't know if it's worth the money as compares to a cable from the glove box.
Oh well...
I'm lost. You are responding to my post but what did you notice?

Also, the iPod DOES charge when connected.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:11 AM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

Originally Posted by trboda6' post='435072' date='Jun 12 2007, 02:24 PM
as far as i know i havent been able to figure out how to use the shuffle feature while its plugged in to the idrive because the ipod itself is in-operable while pluged in and must be controled solely through the I-drive and the Idrive unfortunatly dosent give you a shuffle feature... yes i know it sucks... the best thing u can do is go to the recently played folder and ride with those songs...... if im wrong on any of this some 1 chime in....
I have a recently installed ipod adapter, and I am able to have a shuffle feature with it. Thru the idrive it is called Random. When in any directory, if I push down the idrive control, it gives me an option of "Random Directory" or "Random All". If I chose "Ranbom Directory" it shuffles the songs within that folder. If I chose "Random All" it shuffles all the songs on the ipod no matter what folder or playlist I am in.

Formula 1 mentioned something about it dropping out of shuffle mode after a few songs. I'm not sure on that. I will have to pay attention to see if that still happens.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

Two things

1) The Random features do not work very well and usually only will work for a song or two then it will just play in order. What also sucks is if you start in random mode and then want to skip a song it will then just select the next song in order.

2) Your IPod does charge when the car is on and then will stop charging about 15 min after you shut the car off because the all the electronics shut off. My Ipod does not hold a charge for anything more than 30 min because the battery is fubar'd. When I am driving and the Ipod does reach full charge I can leave my car and come back and all is good as long it is less than a 1 hour time frame then the Ipod looses all power.

I can verify that this behavior because in my E39 w/ a dension IceLink it charged the IPOD the entire time it was plugged in an I never ran into this issue. Was not until I used the Ipod adapter in the E60 i would find my IPod not charged when i went to the car.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MDT' post='435283' date='Jun 13 2007, 10:11 AM
I have a recently installed ipod adapter, and I am able to have a shuffle feature with it. Thru the idrive it is called Random. When in any directory, if I push down the idrive control, it gives me an option of "Random Directory" or "Random All". If I chose "Ranbom Directory" it shuffles the songs within that folder. If I chose "Random All" it shuffles all the songs on the ipod no matter what folder or playlist I am in.

Formula 1 mentioned something about it dropping out of shuffle mode after a few songs. I'm not sure on that. I will have to pay attention to see if that still happens.

really wow thats news to me... im going to have to look into this... I havent figured this 1 out yet...

Quick Reply: iPod adapter question