E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod For 2006 with Nav

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully BMW have the solution for E60 by the end of the year.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

I believe even dension cant get it to work so that songs are displayed in I-Drive and they have been trying for the last 14 months. However I have heard from friends of rumours of the next Ipod using bluetooth!!! However its only rumour and that would mean release no sooner than next november.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

...according to my dealer's chief mechanic, there will be full ipod intergration for my E60 ( ie. interactive via I-drive ) in the course of 2006. I was going for a aux input install - he advised me it's a waste of money with regards to the ipod and that I should wait. I'll take his word until September....
Old 01-09-2006, 03:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xi, Dark Green, c w pkg, premium pkg, premium sound, AT, comfort seats, PDC, nav, hud

I was looking for a good IPOD solution as well.

I don't like the AUX input solution, it doesn't charge the IPOD and if driven from the IPOD earbud output you have to be careful about over or underdriving the AUX input. Driving the AUX input from the IPOD docking connector doesn't fit the AUX input connector and anything that would adapt to it relies upon the docking output which is kind of uderpowered for the AUX input (its a fixed output level from the IPOD and can't be increased in output level like the earbud output can).

I ultimately settled on an FM driver. The reason, it works as well as the AUX input solution (better really), has the same problem as the AUX input solution, i.e. it doesn't charge the IPOD, and has all the facilities of the IPOD readily available just as the AUX input (only MUCH cheaper).

Until IDrive comes up with a full IPOD integration solution I'll use the FM driver.

BTW, maybe hard to imagine, but WAL-MART has one of the best and cheapest solutions for an FM driver. It's made by Scosche. It's the one with JUST the FM transmitter. NOT the one with the integrated IPOD docking connector. Costs about 14.97$ at any WalMart and works like a champ. Almost unbelieveable. I tried a Belkin solution and was very disappointed. The Scosche FM transmitter drove the puppy without any distortion or interferrence. It punches right through any lower powered stations and gets right to the 5er radio. Really sounds great!
Old 01-09-2006, 05:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by waiting' post='221384' date='Jan 9 2006, 04:16 AM
I was looking for a good IPOD solution as well.

I don't like the AUX input solution, it doesn't charge the IPOD and if driven from the IPOD earbud output you have to be careful about over or underdriving the AUX input. Driving the AUX input from the IPOD docking connector doesn't fit the AUX input connector and anything that would adapt to it relies upon the docking output which is kind of uderpowered for the AUX input (its a fixed output level from the IPOD and can't be increased in output level like the earbud output can).

I ultimately settled on an FM driver. The reason, it works as well as the AUX input solution (better really), has the same problem as the AUX input solution, i.e. it doesn't charge the IPOD, and has all the facilities of the IPOD readily available just as the AUX input (only MUCH cheaper).

Until IDrive comes up with a full IPOD integration solution I'll use the FM driver.

BTW, maybe hard to imagine, but WAL-MART has one of the best and cheapest solutions for an FM driver. It's made by Scosche. It's the one with JUST the FM transmitter. NOT the one with the integrated IPOD docking connector. Costs about 14.97$ at any WalMart and works like a champ. Almost unbelieveable. I tried a Belkin solution and was very disappointed. The Scosche FM transmitter drove the puppy without any distortion or interferrence. It punches right through any lower powered stations and gets right to the 5er radio. Really sounds great!

Use one of these to connect the ipod to your aux.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=193794
Old 01-09-2006, 07:44 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by arnolds' post='221422' date='Jan 9 2006, 06:19 AM
Use one of these to connect the ipod to your aux.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=193794
The problem with the Belkin is that the line out is amplified (with a cheap amp) so the sound quality is not good.

I use a Monster iCarCharger--see my hardwire iPod install for details:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12430
Old 01-09-2006, 01:40 PM
HHP
Members

My Ride: 06 550 SMG |Comfort seats | sport, premium sound and cold weather packages | active steer | Navigation |comfort access | rear seat heat | rear seat fold down| sirius|

Hello
I called Dension USA today (the California location) and spoke to a few people in technical support who tell me that by early mar4ch Dension will release their ice link plus product for the 5 Series...
this will not only charge the battery for ipod, but will also display songs, etc from ipod into IDRIVE.

I am told that you would just install this into your glovebox or armrest and you would use iDrive to use the ipod.....
Old 01-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by HHP' post='221717' date='Jan 9 2006, 10:40 PM
Hello
I called Dension USA today (the California location) and spoke to a few people in technical support who tell me that by early mar4ch Dension will release their ice link plus product for the 5 Series...
this will not only charge the battery for ipod, but will also display songs, etc from ipod into IDRIVE.

I am told that you would just install this into your glovebox or armrest and you would use iDrive to use the ipod.....

Yes please...did they promise, this will me great. Cant help being number 1 sceptic
Old 01-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by HHP' post='221717' date='Jan 9 2006, 02:40 PM
Hello

I think that's one of the...4...great lies...Dension says they'll have a 5er icelink available in a few months...
Old 01-09-2006, 08:08 PM
HHP
Members

My Ride: 06 550 SMG |Comfort seats | sport, premium sound and cold weather packages | active steer | Navigation |comfort access | rear seat heat | rear seat fold down| sirius|

Originally Posted by stream' post='221804
Hello

I think that's one of the...4...great lies...Dension says they'll have a 5er icelink available in a few months...
[/quote]

One can only HOPE for something good!!!.. LOL

Quick Reply: iPod For 2006 with Nav