E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Intake or Not on 2007 550i

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys, first post. Just got my car a few months ago.

I am on the fence about installing an intake on my 2007 550i. Bought an AFE Stage 2 Intake, Throttle Body Spacer, Sprintbooster and RPI GT Axleback Exhaust. Waiting on all that to arrive in the next week or so.

The intake sounded like a good idea at the time but then after searching around more it seems the consensus is its a waste of money except for the sound and has some potential for loss of power...cant find any good Dyno results and havent heard back from AFE after requesting more supporting data.

Guess I am just looking for confirmation from people that know what they are talking about....should I dump the intake and throttle body spacer? I could put that cash towards an OE or Dinan Tune, which is my next step in the upgrade process.

I hear a drop in K&N Filter would yield better results than the intake...can anybody confirm that? Or possibly another intake has proven Dyno results out there?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i
Model Year: 2006

Welcome enjoy the forum there is loads of info here.
NO to the intake! get an RPI package and charcoal filter delete and you will be set
along with your other mods. Nice start!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i sport pak. all the other goodies.. MODS: M5 front, sides, aFe throttle body spacer, RPI Red scoop, amber angle eyes, powder coated sport rims, tinted tail lights. smoked side blinkers, color of car and rims roundels, real carbon fiber roof spoiler, 550i number flat black, LED license plate lights, MTX 12' sub, dyno mat, tinted Windows, flat black grill, flat black exhaust tips, light smoke headlight tint, foged out eyelash, velocity booster.

I had that afe intake. I used it for a month and returned it. Not worth your time to install it!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dyno it if you get it. Post the results.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 e60 550i motorsport metallic grey, black leather interior, head up display, logis & stereo, sat nav, M sport pakage and full options. 19' twin spoke wheels and LED front and tail lights

hi there and welcome. Good question re throttle body spacer. I was thinking of getting one too, anyone got some feedback on this??
post some pics
Old 03-20-2012, 07:27 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by el'Skell
hi there and welcome. Good question re throttle body spacer. I was thinking of getting one too, anyone got some feedback on this??
post some pics
Throttle body spacers do ntohing more than lighten your wallet. They are useless.
As suggested above, contact Trinity Autosport (both Nerweezy and TrinityAutosport are members here) and get the RPI package of scoop and filter and you will be both wealthier (the mod is pretty cheap) and happier.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Members

Thanks for the welcome and feedback. I decided to return the intake. Based on the dollars I just cant justify it. I am going to install the Throttle Body Spacer...relatively cheap even if the gains are minimal to non existent.

I am going to go ahead and get the RPI Ram Air Scoops though...coupled with stock intake I figure it cant hurt.

Im going to take the cash from the AFE Intake and put it towards a tune...thinking of going with brentuning in MA for that. Turner and Dinan were the others on the table. Dyno results for brentuning a 750i which is apparently comparable to a tune on 550i are here: http://oetuning.com/blog/?p=661

At some point after all is said and done I will update and get some pics up.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jasp957
Thanks for the welcome and feedback. I decided to return the intake. Based on the dollars I just cant justify it. I am going to install the Throttle Body Spacer...relatively cheap even if the gains are minimal to non existent.

I am going to go ahead and get the RPI Ram Air Scoops though...coupled with stock intake I figure it cant hurt.

Im going to take the cash from the AFE Intake and put it towards a tune...thinking of going with brentuning in MA for that. Turner and Dinan were the others on the table. Dyno results for brentuning a 750i which is apparently comparable to a tune on 550i are here: http://oetuning.com/blog/?p=661

At some point after all is said and done I will update and get some pics up.
Side note brentuning is an authorized flash dealer for oe tuning.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i

Keep me posted on the oetune. Is this remove your ecu style tune and flash it, or does it come with a hand held flasher?
Old 03-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Members

I believe it removes the ecu tune...so no good if it were to get overridden by a dealership etc. My appt is April 13th so I will post up the results. The rest of the parts are getting installed Monday. I cant wait to drink up the new RPI exhaust.

Quick Reply: Intake or Not on 2007 550i