E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installing a Rear Spoiler in the New York Area

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 04:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature
Thumbs up

I have decided to buy an ACS style rear spoiler for my car (trust me, I am not going mod crazy ). Given that I am not much of a DIY guy, I am going to have it installed at a shop.

I have three questions:

1. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a New York/New Jersey area shop that installs spoilers and the like? I am interested in places that members have actually used and that did a good job.

2. Would you recommend using double stick 3M tape or silicone to mount the spolier? One shop that I called quoted me $75 for the install and claims that silicone is superior to tape and that taped spoilers often "fall off". My concern is that when I return my car from its lease, BMW might reject the car or charge me extra $$ for returning it with a non OEM spoiler. In that case, I would prefer tape to silicone.

3. Has anyone returned a leased BMW with a non OEM spolier on it and if so, were there any problems?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience on this.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:49 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='966191' date='Aug 5 2009, 05:30 AM
I have decided to buy an ACS style rear spoiler for my car (trust me, I am not going mod crazy ). Given that I am not much of a DIY guy, I am going to have it installed at a shop.

I have three questions:

1. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a New York/New Jersey area shop that installs spoilers and the like? I am interested in places that members have actually used and that did a good job.

2. Would you recommend using double stick 3M tape or silicone to mount the spolier? One shop that I called quoted me $75 for the install and claims that silicone is superior to tape and that taped spoilers often "fall off". My concern is that when I return my car from its lease, BMW might reject the car or charge me extra $$ for returning it with a non OEM spoiler. In that case, I would prefer tape to silicone.

3. Has anyone returned a leased BMW with a non OEM spolier on it and if so, were there any problems?

SDG -

I have no idea about questions 1 &3, but #2 - I used Goop (Brand name) Adhesive + 3m double sided tape to make a strong bond. I had heard that over time the tape, by itself weakens, and the spoiler will fall off. I figured better safe than sorry right?
Old 08-05-2009, 06:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Scott - I would use both 3M tape and silicone (and they are included ).
Old 08-05-2009, 06:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by theXman' post='966246' date='Aug 5 2009, 10:08 AM
Scott - I would use both 3M tape and silicone (and they are included ).
Terrific,
Old 08-05-2009, 06:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Also, you can do the install yourself. It's very simple. You just need to tape it up (the trunk and spoiler) for awhile with masking tape and shouldn't drive for a day. Check out the DIY from mrfva (?).
Old 08-05-2009, 08:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

I had my trunk finisher painted for $100. I installed it myself though. Installed and painted should run about $100 to $150.

I recommend ONLY using the industrial strength 3M tape. Dont use the foam white ones, Use the red ones. I found those at Home Depot last time but I cant find it in their website now. I only used 3M double sided tape. It is so strong that I can pull on my spoiler and pull the back back or push it to push the car forward. There's no need for silicone.

No idea but I would recommend removing it and part out the spoiler. The average Joe at the dealership probably wouldn't even notice. Stealerships are always overrated and the average John here knows more than the average Joe at the stealership
Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='966191' date='Aug 5 2009, 08:30 AM

I have three questions:

Go to Mobile-Addictions in Staten Island. I am friends with the owner and he does all my work on my car including installing a CF ACS tyle roof spoiler.

My car is a lease so I decided to avoid the silicone. MA decided they would bake the spoiler in the sun and then try and form fit the spoiler using suction cups and bars etc. Once the best shape/seal can be made, they are going to use 3M tape to hold it down. Silicone is for the most part perminant. You will run the risk of damaging the spoiler, the trunk's paint, or both. With 3m, yes it might be a bit less secure, but as long as you check it from time to time it should be fine.

I have never returned anything with non OEM spoiler. You will not get extra value for it, so you might as well take it off and resell it here!

Good luck with everything. Mobile Addictions is a top notch shop and I would not take my car anywhere else. The owner is named james, tell him Raj sent you.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rkhettry23' post='966394' date='Aug 5 2009, 12:52 PM
Good luck with everything. Mobile Addictions is a top notch shop and I would not take my car anywhere else. The owner is named james, tell him Raj sent you.
Thanks Raj. What kind of work have they done on your car?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

Here it comes...THE MOD BUG...there is no turning back now....! lucky its a lease....thats what holding you back..
Old 08-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by khooger' post='966631' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:55 PM
Here it comes...THE MOD BUG...there is no turning back now....! lucky its a lease....thats what holding you back..

The fact that it's a lease just means he'll have MORE of an itch when he gets the M5 - can you say STROKER!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Installing a Rear Spoiler in the New York Area