E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed Subwoofer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 03:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='May 9 2005, 06:24 AM
And in the end, there is ALWAYS a solution for high-end car audio for those willing to spend the money, even if it requires custom construction of a fiberglass add-in above the driver's knees to house an aftermarket head-unit.
Correct. But that's my point. It shouldn't be so difficult to add a high-quality source unit which doesn't affect the aesthetics of the vehicle, or the ergonomics. But nowadays this is exactly the problem. Even on low-end cars the radios are being integrated with air conditioning controls and the like... so removal becomes impossible without either severe functionality losses, or extreme customization which costs $$$$$.

If only a professional sports player can afford to put in a decent audio system because of having to work around a dash which won't allow a replacement headunit, then the high-end audio industry will ultimately fail.

I don't share your optimism with respect the the "audio industry" having any degree of leverage with the automotive industry. I personally think the auto industry has thumbed its proverbial nose at the audio industry and made aftermarket audio more difficult intentionally. In fact, I think that car companies don't want anyone adding aftermarket audio.... and that's why they have begun to design cars the way they do now.
[snapback]126037[/snapback]
I agree - the huge OEM contracts are very lucrative for audio companies, and very expensive for the consumer, and therefore, they need the extra bennys of being integrated, like with iDrive, to justify their purchase. If the Logic7 system was just a standard DIN head unit, with an amp and speakers, then none of us would buy it. We'd get the standard system and rip it out. Integrating it is key to sales of the high-end systems, and both BMW and Lexicon have a vested interest in making upgrading difficult, in order to maximize those sales.

Interestingly, the guys at Dinan told me recently that by '08 auto manufacturers will be going from 12V electrical systems to 48V (I think). That should create additional frustration for the aftermarket. I suppose they'd all have to add transformers to their stuff?
Old 05-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Those are excellent examples. Surely BMW would prefer someone spend $$$ on the Logic 7, than to have them buy the standard and spend a bunch of money trying to upgrade it. Unfortunately for us audiophiles, the Logic 7 is absolute crap. (Better than most other factory alternatives, but crap nevertheless)

As for 48V... the audio industry could adapt to that quickly, at least for new designs. It's older gear that would have issues. But integrated systems cause huge problems, and that's the way the auto companies want it.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i PDC / ADAPTIVE XENON HEDLIGHTS /FOLD DOWN REAR SEATS / NAV / PREMIUM / COLD WEATHER / EURO REFLECTORS /STAGGERED CHROMED 124S / PIAA 4700K FOGS / BLUETOOTH RETROFIT / REAR WOODED LIGHTER PANEL/MP3 RETROFIT

Hey Rob could you share pics of that install including the grille on the ski compartment,I did a similar install and and would greatly appreciate some ideas on the grille or any one else whom might have done a similar install.

Thanks Unlimited
Attached Thumbnails Installed Subwoofer?-img_29411.jpg  
Old 08-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard, Unlimited!
Old 08-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, unlimited ! not trying to offend you but if you want some chrome, get the chrome grilles instead of the headlight trims .
Old 11-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Members

Hi all,

I just took delivery of a 525xi, with the folding rear seats. I just discovered (like many of you) how weak the bass response is in a standard US 5 series. Too late for the Logic 7 upgrade.

I gather that I have some mid-range/sub units under the front seats. Can these drivers be replaced with something with more punch? If this is possible, it would probably be much more cost effective than putting a speaker in the trunk.

Also, my dealer wants over $400 for parts and labor to put an auxiliary input for ipods (or other devices) into the glove compartment. Is this right (seems high to me! $200 for part plus 3 hours labor).

thanks all!
Old 11-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Contributors

AUX input should be part + 1hour of labor. Seach around for .PDF file, and give it to your dealer.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Members

Has someone got any pics of the right wires being tapped into. Where is the best place to get the source/signal to turn the aftermarket amp on. theres been some mention of an accessories socket but where can I locate this?

Spent a few hours today trying to sort this out but no luck.

Help will be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Contributors

Please search around. Those info are here.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone Waiting

Originally Posted by MaTRiX' post='16510' date='Jul 10 2004, 09:21 PM
Hey guys, i was planning on installing a Sub in the E60 and wondering if anyone one had already done so, if so, which sub did you get and did any thing screw up after the installation? I am just a bit worried to mess with sound system but really want to install a Sub, and look forward to installing rear entertainment system once its available.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...9&hl=subwoofer

Quick Reply: Installed Subwoofer?