E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed RPI Exhaust - 545

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

I also installed the scoop and filter too, but this is about the exhaust.

First impressions - I've listened to the sound clips but there really is nothing like the real thing. When comparing to the only other aftermarket exhaust I've ever had on a car (69 impala), it certainly is VERY different than an American big block rumbling blurble. The exhaust note is much more precise and refined. It really does sound like a performance engine, not just a big V8. It's really the only way I can describe it.

The start up is nice and quiet, with a low rumble which quickly comes alive as you press the smile button. Again, it's just a very different experience.

There was some problems with the installation (more on that in a second) so I had an opportunity to be outside the car for start up and moving of the car and just a little jaunt across the yard was great sounding. It's an exhaust note that means business. It's not flashy or annoying like a ricer type can exhaust can be, but very purposeful.

After we got the installation sorted out I had my first trip with it. The first thing I did? Head to the big ass tunnel below the airport . Traffic was pretty heavy but it was still fantastic! Running up through the gears in DS mode is just an amazing symphony in the cabin of the car, I can only imagine how cool it sounds outside the car.

Once I hit the entrance to the palm I was able to open it up and have a little fun. It's nice and twisty, but fast, and usually very little traffic. Sound was awesome . Pulling onto the trunk of the palm, both sides of the road are lined with residential apartment blocks so I rolled down the windows to hear the exhaust note rumbling and echoing down the street, very cool! Now it's not just the lambo's and Ferrari's doing it .

Pulling into my underground car park was also a pleasant experience, with the deep notes of the exhaust amplified by the underground space, letting everyone know a V8 just pulled into the garage.

All in all, a beautiful exhaust, with a beautiful sound. It adds an overall edge to the car that didn't exist before. My car specifically, since there is no body kid (YET!) doesn't look overly sporty, but it sure as hell /sounds/ sporty now!

Now to Krozi's problem. Dude, it's not your muffler. That droning sound exists at exactly the same RPM as yours. You can actually feel the resonance vibration in the gas pedal and if you touch the e-brake handle. It's the worst around 100kph cruising speed, which unfortunately for me is average speed on Sheikh Zayed road. With that said, my CCC is offline so I have no tunes, so I've no doubt that will solve half the issue. If I had a choice, I would certainly get rid of that sound or at least tone the volume of it down. It can get quite loud in the cabin at times. With that said, the easy fix is to pop it into DS mode. It drops a gear, kicks the RPM over 2k a hair and it's back to the sweet music! It'll hork my gas consumption a bit but what the hell, it's cheap here and I'm contributing to my local economy .

It's certainly easy enough to put up with considering the truly wonderful sound of the rest of the RPM range.

Anyway, on to the install. When I first walked up behind my car, the exhaust was tweaked to one side of the bumper, literally touching the left side of the bumper. I was pretty pissed. The guys weren't around so I got under the car to examine and the thing had slid way left on the hanger. I remember in Krozi's post about the washer he had welded to the end of the hanger so I just pushed the exhaust back into place, but it was obvious there was tons of play in the exhaust.

I got the guys from the shop over and they told me of another problem they had with the install. Apparently, the size of the pipe is exactly the same as the OEM so they weren't comfortable just clamping it without making a small slip adapter to join the two pipes up. His concern was the clamp wouldn't make a proper seal and it could potentially move around on me. No idea if they knew what they were talking about or what, but it is what it is. Regarding the movement issue, they started talking about removing the exhaust and re-machining hangers similar to the OEM hangers (shaped to prevent movement) when I told them of the washer idea, which they did very quickly. They put one on the back hanger too just for added stability, and unfortunately that's the only picture that came out. There is also a washer on the hanger closest to the rear of the car too, but in terms of movement, it's a lot lot better. It has some wiggle room for sure, but it won't bump the sides of the bumper anymore.

All in all, I'm satisfied with the exhaust. I think the hangers could use some love for the next revision, and if there's anyway to tweak the resonance issue at that RPM a smidgen, I'd say it's a perfect exhaust. I'll update more after I get some more miles on the thing .
Attached Thumbnails Installed RPI Exhaust - 545-scoop.jpg   Installed RPI Exhaust - 545-old_exhaust.jpg   Installed RPI Exhaust - 545-backwasher.jpg  
Old 04-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Sounds great! I have pretty much gotten used to the occasional drone and am starting to enjoy the exhaust like I should!

By the way, I wasn't the one who got the washer installed. That was someone else, for some reason my exhaust is perfectly centered, even without the washer.

I have yet to find a tunnel, it's kinda hard cause I live in the flatest part of the country
Old 04-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Contributors

I love it. It was actually me that posted about using a washer to hold the exhaust in place. Glad we were able to contribute to the solution. I did let RPI know about the issue and I think they plan on solving the problem in their next batch.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

Congrats! Ok enough with the talk where's the sound clip?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Originally Posted by pointerman' post='855168
Well, about that... I don't have a video camera.. or any type of recording device, besides my phone I guess... but I bet that sounds pretty crappy. You'll just have to take my word for it . Or show up for our next local meet!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Contributors

good purchase, i like how you matched it with the scoop.

enjoy!

Im sorry to hear about that v8 drone. Maybe its because you are trying to harness zei PoWaA!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

It's funny, you drive your RPI the same way I drive my B&B, DS mode FTW!!
Old 04-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

I will make a sound clip quite soon
Old 04-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by radzM550i' post='855170' date='Apr 22 2009, 11:40 AM
wise ass..lolol.. glad problems are resolved krozi... and dirk so glad your happy.. ahh.. love the sound of an exhaust..
Old 04-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Contributors

My clip of this on my 545

Quick Reply: Installed RPI Exhaust - 545