E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed a new car battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a battery from the dealer earlier this week and installed it myself. I've read on the forums mixed opinions about installing the battery on your own. Some have said programming/registering must be done by the dealership. I was worried about having a ton of warning messages once I got the new battery in. It's been a few days and so far so good. Everything was saved somehow even all my radio stations. The only warning message I received was to set the time because the battery was disconnected. I don't have Active Steering but I think that needs to be reset when you change the battery
Old 06-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Members

My Ride:

Originally Posted by bmdub' post='902676' date='Jun 6 2009, 07:21 PM
I bought a battery from the dealer earlier this week and installed it myself. I've read on the forums mixed opinions about installing the battery on your own. Some have said programming/registering must be done by the dealership. I was worried about having a ton of warning messages once I got the new battery in. It's been a few days and so far so good. Everything was saved somehow even all my radio stations. The only warning message I received was to set the time because the battery was disconnected. I don't have Active Steering but I think that needs to be reset when you change the battery
Did you buy a AGM or standard one?
Old 06-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stone face' post='902765' date='Jun 6 2009, 01:30 PM
Did you buy a AGM or standard one?
Just the standard one that came in the car. I believe if I got the better AGM battery I would need to bring it into the dealership
Old 06-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Contributors

im going to have to replace mine soon. was it easy to put the new one in yourself?
Old 06-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Contributors

i changed battery about a year ago, got it from the dealer. it's pretty easy. my car didn't have active steering--so didn't have to worry about that issue. takes about half an hour to an hour. the battery is heavy so careful not to strain a muscle or two. when disconnecting, detach negative first and then positive. when putting it back on, positive first and then negative. another thing, there is a ventilation tube--disconnect that and attach it to the new battery. it's very simple, i am making it sound harder than actually is!
Old 06-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by RootKit' post='902859' date='Jun 6 2009, 05:09 PM
i changed battery about a year ago, got it from the dealer. it's pretty easy. my car didn't have active steering--so didn't have to worry about that issue. takes about half an hour to an hour. the battery is heavy so careful not to strain a muscle or two. when disconnecting, detach negative first and then positive. when putting it back on, positive first and then negative. another thing, there is a ventilation tube--disconnect that and attach it to the new battery. it's very simple, i am making it sound harder than actually is!
thanks, i wont be able to do it. i will buy it and make my boyfriend do it. to heavy for me
Old 06-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 525xi Jet black sprint booster ACS front lip

I have active steering and unhooked my battery to get the steering wheel off. The error came on, and its a very easy reset. Turn the car off, then on again. Turn the steering wheel all the way left, then all the way right, then to the middle. Turn off the car and then on again and the error is gone. No other errors came on.