E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed a magnaflow 14862 today.. and...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

i hate it.. cabin noise is way too loud i am thinking of going back to stock. i hear that adding a resonator may tone down the noise, but how much does adding a resonator tone down the noise? The sound i am looking to achieve is a deep growl only when i step on the gas not constant droning while driving normally. What if i go back to stock and remove resonators and all those stuff.. how much louder can removing those things get?
Old 07-30-2008, 03:20 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

We need more information on your setup. Did you just install the muffler? If that is the case then you would have two sets of resonators that came with the car. Two cylindrical resonators upstream and one rectangular pne before the muffler. Did you remove all resonators and install the muffler? Is this a quad setup or one muffler? I have an 04 545i with a custom quad setup. I left the two upstream resonators and removed the rectangular one before the muffler. In it's place I installed a Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe. I am very happy with the sound. When I stomp on it, it sounds great. There is some droning between 1500-2100 rpm but it is minimal. Cruising on the highway, there is virtually no exhaust noise at all.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by r9ndy' post='635772' date='Jul 30 2008, 01:48 AM
i hate it.. cabin noise is way too loud i am thinking of going back to stock. i hear that adding a resonator may tone down the noise, but how much does adding a resonator tone down the noise? The sound i am looking to achieve is a deep growl only when i step on the gas not constant droning while driving normally. What if i go back to stock and remove resonators and all those stuff.. how much louder can removing those things get?
That's interesting... I left all resonators in my car, and I don't have constant droning. Granted it's loud when you step on the pedal during heavy acceleration, I don't get a constant on-going noise. How's your set-up? Can you post additional information? Removing the resonators can get really loud, even with stock muffler.

I do have to admit, it is a bit aggressive from the outside..

Here's a sound clip from inside the cabin:

Here's a sound clip from the outside..
Old 07-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Contributors

it was just a muffler swap no resonators removed.. nothing. could it be the hangers/mounts ?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by r9ndy' post='635919' date='Jul 30 2008, 10:32 AM
it was just a muffler swap no resonators removed.. nothing. could it be the hangers/mounts ?
Did they replace your hanger mounts? On mine, they left the rear original one in place -- and replaced the one near the bumper; the center portion of the new mount is rubber wrapped by the metal mount. It appears to be stiffer than the orginal rubber portion.

Also, I've noticed that the sound has tamed a bit since installation. Not sure if this due to a little more wear on the muffler or me being more accustomed to the changed sound.

Anyway, I took more sound/vid clips from the interior this morning (city/hwy driving) and will try to post them tonight.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

I had the same issue you are experiencing, a constant drone which gets worse when you accelerate at higher gears.
The mounts that my installer used were rigid and also part of the problem was that the muffler body was too close to the body.
Most of the noise disappeared when i took the stock rubber mount and used it to mount the magnaflow.
The piece i used is highlighted below and i did the same for the one behind he muffler also(just pull it off carefully).
Also the v8s will have some drone around 2k rpms, i don't think anyone has gotten around that.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Premium/Sport Packages. Heated Seats, Sat Radio, Mystic Blue Metallic and Dakota Gray Leather interior. Active steering and headlights, M5 166 wheels

Originally Posted by r9ndy' post='635772' date='Jul 30 2008, 01:48 AM
I wish you would've searched the forum before you bought. Also check the bimmerfest.com forum too. I posted on bimmerfest with pix and sound my Magnaflow 862 and 816 experience. It is the loudest muffler you can buy for the BMW. I just picked up a stock muffler for my 528i 97 yesterday at Autobahn in San Diego, Ca. They are a salvage yard and have everything. I even got a M sport steering wheel for 150!!! in great condition.

Can't wait to get my stock muffler back on. Every muffler shop I went to said Magnaflow is not the muffler for the BMW cars. If you want sound get magnaflow, if you want quiet get something else or leave it stock. My cell phone simply jumps around when I sit it on my console with this magnaflow.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by navin' post='635935' date='Jul 30 2008, 09:18 AM
I had the same issue you are experiencing, a constant drone which gets worse when you accelerate at higher gears.
The mounts that my installer used were rigid and also part of the problem was that the muffler body was too close to the body.
Most of the noise disappeared when i took the stock rubber mount and used it to mount the magnaflow.
The piece i used is highlighted below and i did the same for the one behind he muffler also(just pull it off carefully).
Also the v8s will have some drone around 2k rpms, i don't think anyone has gotten around that.
how many hangers are you using? they only used 1 hanger which is mounted to the stock mounts.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by r9ndy' post='636050' date='Jul 30 2008, 02:01 PM
how many hangers are you using? they only used 1 hanger which is mounted to the stock mounts.
They should have used 2 hanger mounts. There are 2 stock mounts: one near the bumper and another further in (near the tire of your car). It would be best of they used the stock mounts in both cases. In my situation, they changed the one near the bumper (still, it's a rubber-center for vibration absorption).

Check under your car and let us know...
Old 07-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

i have two hangers, one closer to the tips welded to the outer edge of the muffler body and one welded onto the pipe coming into the muffler.

Quick Reply: Installed a magnaflow 14862 today.. and...