E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed H&R Sport Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lightfytr
Cwest, what part was it you couldnt get past? I found that by using a ratchet strap wrapped from the top of the shock around to the control arms I could compress the shocks allowing me to pull it out of the wheel well...
That's the exact part I couldn't get pass was pulling the Shock out of the wheel well. I'll give that a shot in couple weeks cause I'm sore and frustrated from doing that last week Thanks. I've removed the lower control arm and the sway bar bolts, but no budge on the knuckle and the shocks were stuck in there not moving so I gave up after 3hrs later.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i Alpine White / Tan

as much as I am impatient and like to just "get stuff done" I will try to take pics and note procedure next time I do mine (probly this coming weekend if moving into the new house doesnt hold me up). With any kind of job, HAVING THE RIGHT TOOLS MAKES IT 1,000,000,000,000,000 times easerier. I have found this out the hard way many times over the years. Here is a tip/trick for the front:

1. Obviously jack up and remove wheel.
2. Take brake lines/wiring stuff out of plastic clip attached to fender well
3. Loosen 3 top hat nuts through engine bay
4. Undo 2 lower bolts. One small one bolting sway brace arm thing (<-scientific name) and the other one going through with nut and bolt
5. Place jack under arm knuckle to support while completely undoing the 3 top hat bolts. Lower the jack completely so the strut/coil assembly is just loose in the wheel well.

MOST OF YOU HAVE GOTTEN THIS FAR AND THEN GO " HOW THE F DO I GET THIS THING OUT OF THE WHEEL WELL'

Here is where the know-how/right tools come into play

6. You need an impact or cordless impact (I have a cordless dewalt 3/8 impact <- best tool EVER purchased) a 3/8" extension about 10", a 3/8" swivel socket and the correct socket needed for the spring compressor you are using. Attach spring compressor in the wheel well with the "nut" end up and the threads pointing down. THROUGH THE HOOD SIDE put the socket/swivel socket/extension though the hole at the top hat mount down in the wheel well and attach it to the spring compressor. Use the impact from under the hood connected to the extension and tighten that bad boy down. Compressing the coil and making the whole assembly slide right out from under the fender lip.

I know this will all probly sound like a foreign language and a picture is worth a thousand words so HOPEFULLY I can get some pics for you guys to better clarify this trick.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525xi

Man pls DIY with pictures anyone??? I wanna try it too but I'm nervous I would F something up lol.. Great job -lightfytr
Old 03-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by E60ROCKS
Man pls DIY with pictures anyone??? I wanna try it too but I'm nervous I would F something up lol.. Great job -lightfytr
have you tried this https://5series.net/forums/topic/853...1#entry1005275 it doesnt get any better than that except for maybe a few pics of the trick I mentioned. Its pretty cut and dry from that DIY
Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by baggedlvintegra
as much as I am impatient and like to just "get stuff done" I will try to take pics and note procedure next time I do mine (probly this coming weekend if moving into the new house doesnt hold me up). With any kind of job, HAVING THE RIGHT TOOLS MAKES IT 1,000,000,000,000,000 times easerier. I have found this out the hard way many times over the years. Here is a tip/trick for the front:

1. Obviously jack up and remove wheel.
2. Take brake lines/wiring stuff out of plastic clip attached to fender well
3. Loosen 3 top hat nuts through engine bay
4. Undo 2 lower bolts. One small one bolting sway brace arm thing (<-scientific name) and the other one going through with nut and bolt
5. Place jack under arm knuckle to support while completely undoing the 3 top hat bolts. Lower the jack completely so the strut/coil assembly is just loose in the wheel well.

MOST OF YOU HAVE GOTTEN THIS FAR AND THEN GO " HOW THE F DO I GET THIS THING OUT OF THE WHEEL WELL'

Here is where the know-how/right tools come into play

6. You need an impact or cordless impact (I have a cordless dewalt 3/8 impact <- best tool EVER purchased) a 3/8" extension about 10", a 3/8" swivel socket and the correct socket needed for the spring compressor you are using. Attach spring compressor in the wheel well with the "nut" end up and the threads pointing down. THROUGH THE HOOD SIDE put the socket/swivel socket/extension though the hole at the top hat mount down in the wheel well and attach it to the spring compressor. Use the impact from under the hood connected to the extension and tighten that bad boy down. Compressing the coil and making the whole assembly slide right out from under the fender lip.

I know this will all probly sound like a foreign language and a picture is worth a thousand words so HOPEFULLY I can get some pics for you guys to better clarify this trick.
I was totally thinking the same thing in my mind if i used the spring compressor under the fender well and compress the spring would it make it easier to come out.. Sweet baggedlvintegra thanks for the tip.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Cwest
I was totally thinking the same thing in my mind if i used the spring compressor under the fender well and compress the spring would it make it easier to come out.. Sweet baggedlvintegra thanks for the tip.
without this I would have quit like you initially did...and in my case I only used 1 spring compressor and tightened it all the way down and it was enough to get the assembly out from under the fender, getting 2 on there and tightened in that little space can be difficult, just another little FYI
Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by baggedlvintegra
without this I would have quit like you initially did...and in my case I only used 1 spring compressor and tightened it all the way down and it was enough to get the assembly out from under the fender, getting 2 on there and tightened in that little space can be difficult, just another little FYI
Old 03-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Thanks guys !
Keep it flowing
Old 03-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Alpine White with Navi and Premium PackageIn progress: OEM Mtech kit, H&R Sport Springs, and 19

Got some pics of the car before drop... (Sorry pics suck)
The before pics dont do any justice.

Installed H&#38;R Sport Springs-img_2831.jpg

after the drop...
Installed H&#38;R Sport Springs-img_2844.jpg

Installed H&#38;R Sport Springs-img_2846.jpg

Installed H&#38;R Sport Springs-img_2847.jpg

Oh and please dont remind me about the paint, it will be repainted this week!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lightfytr
Got some pics of the car before drop... (Sorry pics suck)
The before pics dont do any justice.

Attachment 119087

after the drop...
Attachment 119084

Attachment 119085

Attachment 119086

Oh and please dont remind me about the paint, it will be repainted this week!
Are these pics of the eibach drop or the H&R? Oh wait I thought I saw your sig say eibach before unless i'm seeing things.

Quick Reply: Installed H&R Sport Springs