E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed the Cobb Access Port-Stage 1 Aggressive

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

WOW!!!!!!!!!

Previous to my 535i (as many of the Forum Members know) I had a 2009 e93 Convertible. My Cobb Tuned 535i SMOKES HER. Seriously the improved power and torque has completely transformed my car. Anybody with a 535i who wants to dominate city streets, needs to buy one pronto.

I'm not a very handy guy and I was a bit leery doing the installation myself- but it was all done in less than 20 minutes. The smile on my face when I sequentially shift my Auto Trans in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear literally brings tears of joy. It's FARKING AWESOME. There is a tiny bit of turbo lag when you just GET ON IT/MAD STOMP, but if you ease into the accelerator and blast it when downshifting, the car will cause supreme whip lash.
I'm using this Map...Stg1 LT Aggressive I8A0S v401Linear Throttle and mixing in a half tank of 93 with my normal 91 octane. Oh My is all I can say. I'm in love with my ride.

I only have an RPI Scoop installed and am now contemplating additional bolt on mods like an intake and downpipes to make her even faster. (I did change my coil packs and sparks as instructed by Cobb previously)

Moral of this story.....The Cobb Access Port is a must have modification for anybody who drives the N54 Twin Turbo 535i.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang
WOW!!!!!!!!!

Previous to my 535i (as many of the Forum Members know) I had a 2009 e93 Convertible. My Cobb Tuned 535i SMOKES HER. Seriously the improved power and torque has completely transformed my car. Anybody with a 535i who wants to dominate city streets, needs to buy one pronto.

I'm not a very handy guy and I was a bit leery doing the installation myself- but it was all done in less than 20 minutes. The smile on my face when I sequentially shift my Auto Trans in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear literally brings tears of joy. It's FARKING AWESOME. There is a tiny bit of turbo lag when you just GET ON IT/MAD STOMP, but if you ease into the accelerator and blast it when downshifting, the car will cause supreme whip lash.
I'm using this Map...Stg1 LT Aggressive I8A0S v401Linear Throttle and mixing in a half tank of 93 with my normal 91 octane. Oh My is all I can say. I'm in love with my ride.

I only have an RPI Scoop installed and am now contemplating additional bolt on mods like an intake and downpipes to make her even faster. (I did change my coil packs and sparks as instructed by Cobb previously)

Moral of this story.....The Cobb Access Port is a must have modification for anybody who drives the N54 Twin Turbo 535i.

Nice. I picked one up a few weeks ago.. here's my post:

https://5series.net/forums/index.php...st&pid=1458225

It's pretty bad ass for sure. I've already driven around enough to where I almost don't notice it... meaing I'm used to it accelerating the way it does. Accelerates like a mofo now.. wheels almost can't keep up. I think I'll put it back to stock for a day or two in the future to go back to appreciating it more.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Members

Why does the 535i feel much faster then your E92?
Old 08-03-2012, 04:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DR-JEKL
Probably because it is.. I am guessing he doesn't have any sort of tune on his E92. [mostly-] Stock E92 vs Flashed E60 ... I don't think the E92 is going to be quicker.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DR-JEKL
Crypto is right. My M3 was supremely fast at top end open throttle 6500 RPM and up but really lacking in torque. My 535i with the Cobb Tune is around 400#'s of torque at a much lower RPM. This translates to a much faster "but dyno" especially as a daily driver around LA city streets. I mean it's really a night and day torque difference. And with the rev limiter now removed....well it's pretty damn awesome.

I drove her some more last night and she is a BEAST. Absolutely love her even more.

Now it's time to consider an intake. Which one is best?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Something like this for an intake will allow you to suck in the most air with th trade-off of it being about 20deg otter than ambiant when moving. With an increase in boost more air is better and it being a bit hotter is a moot point when the turbo is already cranking out air temps of a couple hundred degs.

Installed the Cobb Access Port-Stage 1 Aggressive-methinstall.jpg
Old 08-03-2012, 06:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Purchased 2/2011Sapphire Black MetallicNatural Brown LeatherPremium, Sport & Cold Weather

I friggin' love my Cobb AP! Sometimes I do wish I went the JB4 route because of the added features and whatnot, but the ease fact of the Cobb can't be beat, especially since I'm still under warranty and maintenance, it's just easy enough to uninstall > re-install that it was totally worth going that route. I've tried most the maps, and it's funny as 90% of the threads I've read about them, people do prefer the linear throttle maps. My ride doesn't have any bolt-ons as of yet, so I can really only use the stage 1 maps, but for some reason I love the Stg1 ST Aggressive I8A0S v401 "stock throttle" map. It just feel quicker and much more aggressive than the linear throttle. I guess that's because you really have the feeling of more control with that one, but I still feel a difference all the way through the pedal down to the floor, it's not just an on/off feeling like others describe. Nonetheless, yes...the Cobb AP is a great little item to have for any of the N54 cars.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
Something like this for an intake will allow you to suck in the most air with th trade-off of it being about 20deg otter than ambiant when moving. With an increase in boost more air is better and it being a bit hotter is a moot point when the turbo is already cranking out air temps of a couple hundred degs.

Attachment 135461
Do tell? I would love more info from you. I see you are selling your downpipes as well. Why?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang
Do tell? I would love more info from you. I see you are selling your downpipes as well. Why?

I'm actually having second thoughts on selling my pipes. Mine are for an xi which are a much harder installation and removal process and me not being in a major modding friendly city like those in Cali or out east it is just harder to get things done that I can't do myself.

What you are looking at is a simple dual cone intake or DCI as it is called. Mine is from Vishnu but but there are others. The cones are pretty standard but it is easier to get it as a "kit" from a vendor because they provide the little custom pipe extensions that make it simple. You could also look at what has come to be called the Mr 5 style intake where you cut a hole in your exisitng stock box and add a hose with a cone filter which allows more air also.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Definitely install a DCI or aftermarket intake. One of these days I'll get around to installing the BMS kit i bought a few months ago.

I went the JB4 route so I know what you mean about the improved acceleration. The ONLY thing I've done so far is set the JB4 to Map 1 on 91 octane and so far I've been able to keep with a Dodge Charger Hemi and pull on a Hyundai Genesis - both cars have about 370 - 380hp. Once I install the new intake I want to mix in some 100 octane gas and run on Map 5 just to see if there's a noticeable difference.

Does the COBB tune support meth injection? Just curious since the JB4 does. Adding this and better downpipes can get the N54 close to 500hp.

Quick Reply: Installed the Cobb Access Port-Stage 1 Aggressive