E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ignition coils 550i

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 06:15 AM
New Members

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
My Ride: E61 550i manual gear, panoramic roof, dark blue
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N62 4.8
Default Ignition coils 550i

Hello Gents,

Was wandering whether or not it's usefull to replace the ignition coils of the N62 engine. I heard they get less effective over time due to the heat they are exposed to. The engine is in pretty good condition, 165.000 KM. no leakages, running smooth and little oils consumption. The general perfoemance would increase a little and the costs are not too bad...ie: € 30,- per coil.

https://www.autodoc.nl/bosch/1147804...BoChs4QAvD_BwE

Anyone care to elaborate a bit on the above?

thx....

Willem
Old 06-14-2022, 07:26 AM
New Members

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

Consider how many moving parts a coil pack has... zero. There's literally nothing at all to EVER wear out. The design results in a pretty much binary operating condition - either they work just fine, or they don't work at all, though it is possible for one to fail incrementally.

It's kind of a fetish to want to swap out all the (perfectly fine, reliable) coil packs. Lots of folks pull the BMW coil packs out (even though they were going to last much longer than the rest of the car), and replace them with aftermarket coils, which all too often results in LOTS of fun trying to chase down the new misfires.

If they're working, spend your money and time doing preventative maintenance on the other million or so things that DO wear out on our E60s.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:34 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by habbyguy
Consider how many moving parts a coil pack has... zero. There's literally nothing at all to EVER wear out. The design results in a pretty much binary operating condition - either they work just fine, or they don't work at all, though it is possible for one to fail incrementally.

It's kind of a fetish to want to swap out all the (perfectly fine, reliable) coil packs. Lots of folks pull the BMW coil packs out (even though they were going to last much longer than the rest of the car), and replace them with aftermarket coils, which all too often results in LOTS of fun trying to chase down the new misfires.

If they're working, spend your money and time doing preventative maintenance on the other million or so things that DO wear out on our E60s.
Thx...was hoping someone would say that. The thing is ..I'm running out of improvements i'm afraid. Pretty much did all the E61 danger zones already...
Old 06-14-2022, 12:01 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by wkloppen
Thx...was hoping someone would say that. The thing is ..I'm running out of improvements i'm afraid. Pretty much did all the E61 danger zones already...
You only THINK you did them all - I'm sure there's one lurking around the next dark corner waiting for you! ;-)

I've been trying to work through mine as well (2006 530xi Touring). All the suspension, tie rods, wheel bearings, front brakes, water pump and thermostat, Mechatronics refresh with new fluid, differentials and transfer case fluids, flex disc and center support bearing for the rear propshaft, alternator, plugs, oil separator, both DISA valves, rear hatch wiring, rusted rear brake line, valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gaskets, for a start.

One of the almost inevitable jobs you'll end up doing is refilling the hatch hydraulic reservoir. By BMW process, it's a HUGE job, requiring removing lots of interior panels, and flipping the pump unit upside down. I figured out a way to do it that should take a competent wrench-twister about 30 minutes.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:25 PM
New Members

Quite a bit you did on her....true that....well I did my piece and to whatever is lurking around the corner I'd say this: enjoy it while it lasts.....
  • Replaced the camshaft gaskets
  • Left steering rod
  • Replaced front suspension bushings
  • Rear airspings
  • Replaced the leds of the middle breaklight
  • Cleared all the tubes of the panorama drainage system
  • Epoxy glued the lenses of the taillights
  • Replaced diff and tranny fluid
  • Fully flushed the brakes
  • Fully flushed the clutch (thank god I got the manual)
  • Fully flushed the powersteering
  • Removed the clutch delay valve. A must do for manual lovers
  • Plugs
  • Don't have the hydraulic hatch thank god
  • Don't have the x-drive either

w.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:55 AM
New Members

That's just cheating. No auto, no x-drive, and no hydraulic lift gate. Hardly like owning a REAL BMW... not enough suffering!
The following users liked this post:
wkloppen (06-15-2022)