E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

IF YOU LOWERED YOUR CAR--HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

I feel like im being taken here. They are trying to tell me in order to lower the car they will have to take out the backseat and take the breaks off---BASICALLY A NIGHTMARE--in order to lower the car. 500$ for installation cost alone

Did you guys pay this or go thru this? wow
Old 05-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

I was being ripped last time too. I paid 4 hours labor which was $400. It shouldn't take more than 2 hours to change the springs. Go to another bodyshop to change your spring. Good luck
Old 05-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by soc_fans' date='May 12 2005, 01:02 PM
I was being ripped last time too. I paid 4 hours labor which was $400. It shouldn't take more than 2 hours to change the springs. Go to another bodyshop to change your spring. Good luck?
[snapback]127607[/snapback]

Yea man there talking about 500$ thats INSANE. Im trying to see if BMW will be able to install them
Old 05-12-2005, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

BMW charges 800.....

Apparently the struts have to be completly taken off--an 8hr hour job....
Old 05-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

That's way too expensive. :'(
Old 05-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Contributors

You should try a brake and alignment shop in your area. A shop that specializes in brake and alignment work! Not tires, not tune-ups! Most brake and alignment shops do all forms of suspension work. That's where I would try first. Even if they have to remove the struts first they have plenty of experience. Good luck!
Old 05-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Ok... well heres an explanation... I have lowered my car with the H&R springs... like yourselves I have gotten that price... So i decided to do it with my friend who has rebuilt cars and knows what he is doing for the most part... We started at 11AM and finished at 7PM... but we had to make a couple stops and what not so it would have been a 5-6 hour job doing it with a friend... Now as for taking the brakes off I did not have to do that but I did have to fenegel the struts out which was a job in itself and yes they HAVE to be taken out cause there no possible way to put the springs on if you don't...doing the springs involes 2 sections the fronts and the rears... when doing the fronts or the rears you cannot simply have one jack jacking up the car you need both sides jacked up... now once you have the front struts out you have to decomress them... I personally brought my to an after market car place to get then decompressed and they also have to put on the new springs and commpress them but if you have your own compressor you can do this part yourself... now as far as the rears they don't need to be decomressed with a machine or decompressor... just take off the top and it will give way... but guys one thing I will say when they say these prices $400-$500 I now truly know what the labor involves and they have reason to charge this much its very labor intensive...If I had known what it involed I would have paid for it but now that I have done it and have an idea of whats going on I could do it again but when your paying for it trust me its well worth the frustration.. if theres any other questions about this let me know...
Old 05-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by xexyus' date='May 12 2005, 09:25 AM
I feel like im being taken here.? They are trying to tell me in order to lower the car they will have to take out the backseat and take the breaks off---BASICALLY A NIGHTMARE--in order to lower the car. 500$ for installation cost alone

Did you guys pay this or go thru this?? wow
[snapback]127588[/snapback]
Wow $500 does it come with lunch and dinner? they are ripping you off . they dont need to remove the back seats and removing the back seats are for the old 5 series e39 .I normally charge $200 for spring install take 2 3hrs labor
Old 05-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Members

I started to wonder if I paid too much. Paid $600+ for replacing the front struts and the rear springs+dampers. I was told that it wouldn't make much difference if you install just the springs...both involve the same process (so I was told). By the way, the cost also included alignment (a total of 6 hours of labor).

I did it at an independent BMW shop in town who has a VERY GOOD reputation among BMW owners locally.

Nothing I can do about it now....just enjoy the car.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by herb' date='May 15 2005, 10:20 PM
[quote name='xexyus' date='May 12 2005, 09:25 AM']I feel like im being taken here.? They are trying to tell me in order to lower the car they will have to take out the backseat and take the breaks off---BASICALLY A NIGHTMARE--in order to lower the car. 500$ for installation cost alone

Did you guys pay this or go thru this?? wow
[snapback]127588[/snapback]
Wow $500 does it come with lunch and dinner? they are ripping you off . they dont need to remove the back seats and removing the back seats are for the old 5 series e39 .I normally charge $200 for spring install take 2 3hrs labor
[snapback]129049[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yea man I got a quote for 200 from another company but they are a couple hours away. You really dont want to know how much I paid for some H&R spacers, hub rings, and longer studs for these wheels I bought---(388$). Sucks man but I had to do it asap

I guess this company is losing a shit load of money so they got to overcharge people now. Plus there the only ones who do work on cars other than civics and accords so im basically stuck with them unless I wanna make a road trip. So definnitly do not pay 500$ then?

Quick Reply: IF YOU LOWERED YOUR CAR--HELP