E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

If you have BMW MOST bus for iPod you can help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend who has just fitted a MOST bus for ipod to his E60. He is concerned that the ipod is constantly charging in the glove box of the vehicle.

Even after he left the car on his drive way for a couple of hours, he came back to find it still charging!! He is concerned that the battery is being drained and the car won't start the next day.

If you have a MOST bus installed, do you leave your ipod connected all the time? Is it constantly charging the ipod, even after the ignition is switched off?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

:thumbsdown:

Quick calculation:

iPod battery capacity 3 Wh at most (800 mA x 3.6 V x 1 h discharge at full pelt). 525i battery ~ 1 kWh (80 Ah x 12.4 V) . It's going to take a truckload of iPods to drain a car battery.

A good trickle charger probably keeps the iPod battery charging relatively slowly (say over 5-8 hours), but it will never cause damage/total drainage.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lanzaman' post='373344' date='Jan 3 2007, 06:31 PM
I have a friend who has just fitted a MOST bus for ipod to his E60. He is concerned that the ipod is constantly charging in the glove box of the vehicle.

Even after he left the car on his drive way for a couple of hours, he came back to find it still charging!! He is concerned that the battery is being drained and the car won't start the next day.

If you have a MOST bus installed, do you leave your ipod connected all the time? Is it constantly charging the ipod, even after the ignition is switched off?

Thanks

I checked and with the engine off, the IPOD was charging. I've had it for about 5 weeks (since I picked up the car) and have had it installed continuously except when I was downloading CD's to the IPOD. I've had no issues with the car battery. I haven't, however left the car for an extended period without driving - the most has been 36 hours on a brief trip. If I was leaving the car for an extended time, I would probably disconnect the IPOD.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Members

I don't have the IPOD adaptor but I noticed this with my satnav that I plug in the flashlight socket in the glove box: I think you may find that the IPOD is not permanently charging but is instead powered off a 12volt feed that stays up about 15 mins after you turn the ignition off and powers up again when you come back to the car after unlocking. I'd suggest putting the IPOD on the seat and watching it through the window for 15 minutes after you lock the car. I reckon it will power down, unlocking the car will power it back up.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

I just installed this over the weekend. They don't recommend leaving it in the car anyway because the cold and heat are not good for the iPod Battery. One thing that I did notice, if you do leave it in the car, it keeps the same spot on the song, if you remove it from the connector it flips over to FM even if you reconnect before starting the car. Kind of a pain.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Member545' post='373379' date='Jan 3 2007, 08:44 PM
One thing that I did notice, if you do leave it in the car, it keeps the same spot on the song, ...
I find that on mine it starts the last song back at the beginning. I still haven't quite figured out the shuffle. It doesn't seem to work if you want to randomly play songs in a play list.

As far as charging, I'm of the same mind as MTRHead.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='373412' date='Jan 3 2007, 11:44 PM
I find that on mine it starts the last song back at the beginning.

Really? Wow, that is really bad news. Totally unacceptable for my use, because of the music I listen to. I must rip all of my CDs as single tracks, because the 4G iPods don't have gapless playback. So if I were playing a CD, I might get 60 minutes into it and then stop the car.... and next time I turn on it goes back to the beginning? Not acceptable.

With my AUX Input, the iPod works how I need it to. Automatically pauses when car engine turned off. Resumes where I left off when I hit play.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='373484' date='Jan 4 2007, 07:40 AM
Really? Wow, that is really bad news. Totally unacceptable for my use, because of the music I listen to. I must rip all of my CDs as single tracks, because the 4G iPods don't have gapless playback. So if I were playing a CD, I might get 60 minutes into it and then stop the car.... and next time I turn on it goes back to the beginning? Not acceptable.

With my AUX Input, the iPod works how I need it to. Automatically pauses when car engine turned off. Resumes where I left off when I hit play.
If you leave it connected it retains the last place. It is only if you remove it from the car that you have to start all over. I did notice on Podcasts, when you start the same one again, it remembers the place, but you do have to select it again.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Member545' post='373491' date='Jan 4 2007, 08:03 AM
If you leave it connected it retains the last place. It is only if you remove it from the car that you have to start all over.
Like I said, not in my case. I have CIP v.23.0.1 and a Black and White 4G iPod, I think the behavior was the same with my 1st generation Nano. When I turn off the car and I leave the iPod it the last song is replayed from the beginning.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

I thought I had the same problem but when you close your car (with remote) and leave your Ipod hanging out of the glovebox you'll see it shut off (while the light of your your glovebox stays on ). As soon as you open the car with the remote you'll see the Ipod turn on. So no problems with your battery (except for the light in your glovebox if you leave it open )

Quick Reply: If you have BMW MOST bus for iPod you can help