E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I have a nail in my rear...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i - Jet Black | bld 01/2005 | Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Cold Weather Package | NAV | Sports Seats | Sirius Satellite | Logic 7 | Multi-Disk | Shades | STEPTRONIC | Adaptive Xenons | Anthracite Maple | K&N Filter - Charcoal removed | Pinnacle 35% Tint | Blackout Kidneys | Black Calipers | Dinan Throttle Body | Dinan Pedals | EU Safety Triangle | e60 Clings | RPI Scoop | Black/white roundels | LED Interior Light Update CIP 31.2
Smile

Run Flat Tire.... Bummer!

OK... time to vent a bit. I've seen on this post that in some cases the RFT's can be repaired, however you have to find a shop to do it. Furthermore, BMW states as a policy not to repair the RFT's. Now to add even more fun to this is, I ended up w/ a nail the tread of my rear RFT, so went to America's Tire shop near by. Low and behold, BMW has a 'deal' of some sort with Bridgestone to include a damning little bit of text directly on their OEM tires. "DO NOT REPAIR TIRE". Crap... dead in the water. I don't know if there is any shop that would take the liability of repairing a tire that states this. Why the heck did BMW make this arrangement other that to sell more tires! In my specific case, my rear RFT's only have 5800 miles on them!!!

I have a nail in my rear...-tire_warning.jpg

I already need 2 new front RFT's, now a rear... so...

I am looking for recommendations for new NON-RFT's all around that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Sorry to hear about your troubles

Originally Posted by SAP_MAN' post='769806' date='Jan 16 2009, 04:58 PM
I am looking for recommendations for new NON-RFT's all around that don't cost an arm and a leg.
General Exclaim UHP, best bang for the buck

... if you can still find any of the Michelin Pilot A/S being discounted @ ~50% off, then those would be a good buy as well.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

hahaha reading the title sounds like maybe you sat on a nail or something.

I also put in a vote for the general's best bang for your buck unless you plan of tracking your car.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

I was told by a tire place, that you can repair a Runflat once....
Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about that man
Old 01-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

So long as the car's weight has NOT been loaded onto the sidewall of a flat RFT, it can be fixed! I had a tire on my X5 repaired recently in Thousand Oaks (take Note SAP_MAN) at Discount Tire Center, they wrote up a repair order, repaired it and then told me the repair was free (ergo no liability), I went out, paid the tire guy for his time and effort and drove home, it has been perfect ever since! Just a little food for thought! BTW, good luck with the nail in your ass!
Old 01-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I love the title of this thread

Sorry to hear...hope you get things resolved...
Old 01-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='769858' date='Jan 16 2009, 06:45 PM
I love the title of this thread
Yes it must really hurt.

I had 2 separate repairs done to Bridgestone RFTs at a Bridgestone dealer. In both cases there was minimal pressure loss but they still verified the sidewall had not been compromised before allowing the repair.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Senior Members

I just picked up the Vredestein UltraC Sessanta's for relatively cheap.

Haven't broken them in yet. First 50 miles feel like the wheel is made of plastic.
I'll let you know how they turn out.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='769857' date='Jan 16 2009, 06:42 PM
So long as the car's weight has NOT been loaded onto the sidewall of a flat RFT, it can be fixed! I had a tire on my X5 repaired recently in Thousand Oaks (take Note SAP_MAN) at Discount Tire Center, they wrote up a repair order, repaired it and then told me the repair was free (ergo no liability), I went out, paid the tire guy for his time and effort and drove home, it has been perfect ever since! Just a little food for thought! BTW, good luck with the nail in your ass!
A couple of reasons BMW dealers do not want to repair RFTs':

1. As flyingpuck has said, no way of knowing if the tire was run at 0psi and compromised the structure of the tire.
2. ANY repair voids the load and speed rating of the tire - a potential liability problem should there be an incident tied to a tire failure.

If you find a shop willing to repair the tire be sure they are equipped to properly repair the tire and handle removal and reinstall without damaging wheel or tire!

As for General Exclaim - all indications are it's a very good tire at a very reasonable price!

One last item ... consider wheel and tire insurance if you don't already have it

Quick Reply: I have a nail in my rear...