E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HUD retrofit - Parts list

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexFW
I profit of the thread to ask if there is someone in EU capable of doing the retrofit. I have all necessary parts since... 2009-2010 but don't want to code etc. by myself.
Thanks!
Yes m8, there are many. including myself. I can code also like many, PM me if you need any help from me.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pin assignment mate.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Members

I will be doing this retrofit next week, I have a question, why must I change the RLS (rain/light sensor) ? Will the HUD unit not work with my existing RLS? I don't understand why this sensor has to be changed.

Any info is greatly appreciated !
Old 03-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by zagato
I will be doing this retrofit next week, I have a question, why must I change the RLS (rain/light sensor) ? Will the HUD unit not work with my existing RLS? I don't understand why this sensor has to be changed.

Any info is greatly appreciated !

If everyone has changed it, maybe there is a reason. So.. Change it without asking
Old 03-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW
If everyone has changed it, maybe there is a reason. So.. Change it without asking
If everyone changed it, can someone explain why? Did anyone attempt to install / code the HUD with the original RLS ? I will install the HUD and code it with my existing RLS. If I see there's a problem I will change the RLS as well.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Members

If everyone changed it, can someone explain why? Did anyone attempt to install / code the HUD with the original RLS ? I will install the HUD and code it with my existing RLS. If I see there's a problem I will change the RLS as well.
Let me explain it to you. Normal RLS can't be coded for HUD, I didn't try it myself but others have said it can't be, even if you can code it won't supply proper signal to adjust HUD intensity and as a result your HUD will assume it is all dark outside and will keep itself to minimum intensity which in day time will be barely visible. Will be fine in night time though.

This is my understanding and I know people who didn't replace RLS and their HUD in day time was barely visible. No difference was in night time driving.

You can always do your install in stages and of course can live with dim HUD until you do RLS install later.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AI001
Let me explain it to you. Normal RLS can't be coded for HUD, I didn't try it myself but others have said it can't be, even if you can code it won't supply proper signal to adjust HUD intensity and as a result your HUD will assume it is all dark outside and will keep itself to minimum intensity which in day time will be barely visible. Will be fine in night time though.

This is my understanding and I know people who didn't replace RLS and their HUD in day time was barely visible. No difference was in night time driving.

You can always do your install in stages and of course can live with dim HUD until you do RLS install later.
Thank you for your answer. If I remember correctly from a former BMW e60 with HUD, isn't the intensity adjustable within the idrive system ?

Thanks again!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Members

Thank you for your answer. If I remember correctly from a former BMW e60 with HUD, isn't the intensity adjustable within the idrive system ?

Thanks again!
Yes it is adjustable but only a little, difference in HUD intensity in dark and sunlight is bit too much and idrive adjustment won't do that much. Also you don't want to adjust it everyday based upon if it is sunny, cloudy, on dusk, dawn and in night, everytime!

Despite idrive adjustment HUD will still think it is night (due to lack of proper RLS signal) and will only adjust according to night time intensity range.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Members

Thanks again AI001, will order RLS in the morning I'll keep you updated on my progress.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Members

OK, finally I got all the parts together, I'll begin the installation sometime next week. I have a question for those who did this retrofit: on my HUD unit I have a flexible cable (like a bike brake cable), what exactly is that, and where does it hook up?? I attached a generic pic, I am talking about the black/grey cable that can be seen on the left.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails HUD retrofit - Parts list-pic.jpg  

Quick Reply: HUD retrofit - Parts list