E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

H&R sports springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:14 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I think that if your shocks are fairly new with low mileage you will be ok, the springs will definitely wear the shocks faster then normal though. I had H&R sports on my e46 xi and they were fine. That being said I got a good deal on bilsteins for my e60 so I am running H&R sports with bilstein sport shocks on my e60 and I really like this combination. Your handling will improve witht he springs and it won't feel as "soft" around corners etc, I think the H&R sports are a good mod for a daily driver vehicle and doesn't lower the car to the point where you have to be carefully driving over every little speed bump and driveway entrance.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Springs alone you will feel an improvement immediately, being said that your shock life will decrease depending on how much of a drop you do. If its the regular sport springs expect about 60,000 miles out of them. If its the race springs Id cut that in half or so

it is also dependent on how much you drive, your driving style and road conditions, its not cut and dry for shock life.

KWs are good but are expensive and clank like a beeyotch which cannot be fixed for the most part due to their design
Old 01-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
If you really drive your car, you need KWs.

I don't wanna go into it too much, because this has been discussed to death without any real news in this respect since about two-two and a half years ago. But the ride and handing on H&R springs will not be better than stock even - you can forget about any gains in handling. And to those of you replying to this thread, with whom I PM'd about this issue previously: you know that I know what I know, cuz you told me so yourself, so don't make me say what you know that I know

BTW, @NYC530XI, if you can get KWs for Xi for 1700 somewhere, please let me know ASAP
Here you go V:

http://www.eurosportdesign.com/c-160-5-series.aspx

V2 for $1640.00.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Hmmm ... AFAIK fitment for xi is only v3 ...

Should be p/n #35220064 based on search at http://www.kw-suspension.com/flexshop/

Eurosport Design site didn't even have p/n for xi fitment listed.

Originally Posted by NYC530XI
Here you go V:

http://www.eurosport...0-5-series.aspx

V2 for $1640.00.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

My mistake. I thought KW had XI fitment in both the V2 and V3.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xi

I wish!

I absolutely do not need the adjustability of the V3, but they're the only model that will work on the XI's. I don't fancy spending $3000+ (I'm in Canada) for a suspension, but I really don't feel like I have any choice. Based on some additional reading last night, it appears that I really won't be happy with the H&R's. It sounds like they'll keep the car a little flatter, but they will not keep the car more planted since the bound and rebound won't be managed any better.

I guess I just need to keep saving...

Originally Posted by NYC530XI
My mistake. I thought KW had XI fitment in both the V2 and V3.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krusty Clown
I wish!

I absolutely do not need the adjustability of the V3, but they're the only model that will work on the XI's. I don't fancy spending $3000+ (I'm in Canada) for a suspension, but I really don't feel like I have any choice. Based on some additional reading last night, it appears that I really won't be happy with the H&R's. It sounds like they'll keep the car a little flatter, but they will not keep the car more planted since the bound and rebound won't be managed any better.

I guess I just need to keep saving...
thats really not true when it comes to the rebound, ive had just springs on all of my cars and the rebound does adjust depending on the springs you have and their spring rate

it will control the car better in all aspects, the problem is that the life of your shocks will decrease and hence why some people get shocks installed with them

with the sport springs you will be fine for a long time with just the springs itself. Go for it and if its kinda lousy then you know you can add shocks when the funds are there
Old 01-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Members

Since the sports springs only lower the car by 1.4 inches, will it really effect my XI stock shocks that much since I cannot get aftermarket shocks?
Old 01-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by wschang812
Since the sports springs only lower the car by 1.4 inches, will it really effect my XI stock shocks that much since I cannot get aftermarket shocks?
I figure when my shocks go, I'll get coils. Right now I have 52,000 km on my car; hopefully I can make it to 80,000km before I need to replace them.

Anyone know approximatly how much a set of OEM shocks would cost to replace (just parts)?
Old 01-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xi

I didn't think there was a stock/spring option for the XI. If there is one available (i.e. Bilsteins with H&R springs), I'll get that right off the bat.

My understanding was that if you wanted to drop your XI, it was either the H&R's on stock shocks, or KW V3's. If there is a shock/spring combo, I'd be all over it (I had Tokico D-Specs with matched springs on my G35 and was extremely happy). Sure I didn't have the height adjustability of coils, but that's not something I really need.

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
thats really not true when it comes to the rebound, ive had just springs on all of my cars and the rebound does adjust depending on the springs you have and their spring rate

it will control the car better in all aspects, the problem is that the life of your shocks will decrease and hence why some people get shocks installed with them

with the sport springs you will be fine for a long time with just the springs itself. Go for it and if its kinda lousy then you know you can add shocks when the funds are there