E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

How the hell do people cut vinyl wrap on exposed edges like this??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 03:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hay everyonestarted doing some wrapping i will keep posting into this thread with progress pics anyway...

as titled how to cut exposed edges??

deeper kidney grill look ; grill recess wrap i have tried to out line it in red roughly
How the hell do people cut vinyl wrap on exposed edges like this??-grill-recess.jpg How the hell do people cut vinyl wrap on exposed edges like this??-untitled.jpg

i managed to wrap it easy but how the hell do peole cut the edges on an exposed edge and on a curve i think i will need to make a templeate and cut the vinyl exactly to the leading edge you can see the wrap and stretch the rest inwards?

i think this makes the kidney grills deep has this been done?

same as this how the hell did this person cut the edges along the body lines of the bonnet

How the hell do people cut vinyl wrap on exposed edges like this??-24245_1264789259860_1233600145_3-2.jpg

to come... roof gloss inc the side rails and shark fin... cant do it the material i received is snagged and would no way heat up and stretch out its damaged if they dont want me to send it back i will use it to practice first hehe

so done the mirrors in matt black just the caps tool about 10 minutes each one!! and its mint even my anti ah look at every pissing fault with you car mate said they look spot on (dont u hate that guy lol)

more to come any ideas on the above pls share!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

are you trying to wrap the front bonnet cover (called the front bumper/front apron here in Detroit)? or are you trying to just wrap the kidney grills?

or only the recess that surrounds the grills but not the bumper itself?

either way it goes....just remove the kidney grills completely, use a large piece of vinyl that covers the entire area, use a heat gun (not a blow drier) and slowly conform the vinyl to the contours of the bumper. once you have the entire area covered using heat and pressing firmly...allow it to cool and make sure that no air bubbles pop up.....once it is completely cooled (say after 15 mins) you can come and lightly trim the area with an exacto knife. be sure to apply minimal pressure so that you are only cutting the vinyl and not the paint underneath. this method will work on leading edges and recessed areas as the adhesive will hold due the the firm application and use of heat to promoted adhesion. (that is if you use a high quality vinyl like Orcal 970ra).

i hope that helps...reply with more questions though....im happy to help if i can.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Members

hi thank you for taking the time on replying

this cutting on to paint work craps me up lol

yes i want to wrap only the recess that surrounds the grills but not the bumper itself

tried to illiterate How the hell do people cut vinyl wrap on exposed edges like this??-untitled.jpg
Old 11-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Yeah... why don't you just take the grilles off. Makes no sense trying to wrap it with it on.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 Silver Grey 530 XI

Don't beat yourself up bro. Much of the precision cut larger pieces, such as race stripes, hood striping, etc. are actually precut by a precison type vinyl cutter called a plotter. My friend owns a vinyl/sign shop and has access to many templates. He simply creates it on the computer and the plotter does the cutting. From there it is the install.

As far as the kidney grilles, do as umichchris says as he is a vinyl wizard.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Members

How about leaving some of the vinyl backside on, just on the outer egde where the critical cuts are made.
You will have much more material protecting the paint, and then just peel the backside of when the cut has been made.

Just an idea.

I like the idea with the deep grills, any one got some pics?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Um, that hood (bonnet) you pointed out was not wrapped, that was painted - it was a CF hood that Joon (the owner) had painted that way.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Um, that hood (bonnet) you pointed out was not wrapped, that was painted - it was a CF hood that Joon (the owner) had painted that way.
it looked it ok! i wouldnt spend all that money then paint it haha!now i know what it is though and the more i look at it i like it i doubt in person a piece of wrap would look and where near as seamless and slick haha

sorry Joon for using the pic i found on Google images.

i will make a template cut it out and stick it on and see how it comes out, i did / will take grills out as that takes 10 seconds i will report back just cracking on with interior bits atm as it to wet and cold after work and the cars two low to fit up slope to my garage (because of this i get to turn it in to a man cave )
Old 11-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by matttytn2
it looked it ok! i wouldnt spend all that money then paint it haha!now i know what it is though and the more i look at it i like it i doubt in person a piece of wrap would look and where near as seamless and slick haha

sorry Joon for using the pic i found on Google images.

i will make a template cut it out and stick it on and see how it comes out, i did / will take grills out as that takes 10 seconds i will report back just cracking on with interior bits atm as it to wet and cold after work and the cars two low to fit up slope to my garage (because of this i get to turn it in to a man cave )

You can find the pics of his hood and his mods by looking for Monsterj34 - I think that was his member name here. I think he has since sold his car and moved.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

remove the grill. separate the two pieces. Stretch the shit out of the CF.

Quick Reply: How the hell do people cut vinyl wrap on exposed edges like this??