E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

How can I remove my Trunk Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Planning to go ACS or spoiler free not sure.
Any suggestions ?
Old 11-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by theracerboss
Guys,
I want to get rid of my OEM Mtech spoiler that came with the car. Since its been sitting on my car for a while I am a little hesitant to do anything myself and seek professional advice.
How do you think I can remove that baby off my trunk without damaging my paint. Looked up the DIY section and couldnt find anything solid.
I got the same problem bro. I want to get rid of mine but I know that it was attached with a polyeurethane that is like friggen liquid nails. When it comes off, so will my paint and I'll have to re-paint the whole hood.. Bah. $450 for that.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer
I got the same problem bro. I want to get rid of mine but I know that it was attached with a polyeurethane that is like friggen liquid nails. When it comes off, so will my paint and I'll have to re-paint the whole hood.. Bah. $450 for that.
I knew there was something holding that damn thing down so hard that it just wont budge.
Well,
There has to be something to get that stuff off man -- Come on guys, help me out here
Old 11-23-2010, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Originally Posted by theracerboss
I knew there was something holding that damn thing down so hard that it just wont budge.
Well,
There has to be something to get that stuff off man -- Come on guys, help me out here
I have the exact same issue with the OEM M-tech spoiler that came with the car. Don't think mine was taped on either. Help would be appreciated. Looks like many of us have the same issue.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 525d MSport 19" 172s Leather - Heated No-Nav, M-ASK, MP3 Playback, BMW Ipod Interface, CD-Prep

If the spoiler is OEM then chances are that it's fitted with BetaLink - basically BMW's glue of choice!
It's a bugger to get off, but you do get a Betalink solvent.

Removal is still a case of using fishing twine and sawing through the Betalink and then using the Betalink solvent to remove the residue.

Its still gonna be a lot of work and unless you use a lot of good microfibre towels you're likely to marr the paint.

I'd recommend leaving it on!!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Contributors

What the hell - This thing is NASTY
Old 11-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My previous spoiler was installed with beta-link and holy shit was it a pain. In my situation I got lucky because the new spoiler I installed covered up the majority of the old beta link. There were very minor areas still showing beta-link which I removed using the edge of a thick plastic ruler. I pretty much angled the ruler and gently ran it across the beta-link and shaved off the spots that were showing and then wiped it down with the beta-link cleaner (lighter fluid type of stuff) and alcohol wipes. It was a pain in the ass and took hours to remove these tiny spots, if you have to remove a huge glob of beta-link I'd say your pretty much SOL and would need to get the trunk repainted unfortunately. Beta-Link is one pain in the ass so if you ever install a wing with it, you might as well consider it a permanent fixture on the car.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by white535xi
that spoiler is perfect to tie a string around it and the other end to a tree, just gas it and it will popp right off lmaoo
+1 LOL
Old 03-20-2014, 09:21 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5

Originally Posted by TheRacerBoss
Guys,
I want to get rid of my OEM Mtech spoiler that came with the car. Since its been sitting on my car for a while I am a little hesitant to do anything myself and seek professional advice.
How do you think I can remove that baby off my trunk without damaging my paint. Looked up the DIY section and couldnt find anything solid.

All help is greatly appreciated !
- Attached a picture of the spoiler below

Thanks,
A M

Hey bro how are you doing. but were you able to take of your trunk spoiler. cuz I'm trying to remove my also.