E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Hood vented GTR Style

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.
Default Hood vented GTR Style

I'm entertaining the thought of a vented style hood. I've seen several with two and four vents. Can't quite seem to decide as the four vent style seems a bit busy to me. Then there was a different one that has two vents and they are more towards the rear area. Not really interested in carbon because I will paint it and that seems like a waste, other than than the weight reduction. Does anyone have any personal experience with any of these and which manufacture is recommended and which are not?

Last edited by tonyb635; 07-24-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:49 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I'm entertaining the thought of a vented style hood. I've seen several with two and four vents. Can't quite seem to decide as the four vent style seems a bit busy to me. Then there was a different one that has two vents and they are more towards the rear area. Not really interested in carbon because I will paint it and that seems like a waste, other than than the weight reduction. Does anyone have any personal experience with any of these and which manufacture is recommended and which are not?
An additional related question for those in the know..

Are the vents real or just decoration, and if they're real, what happens when it rains?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2009 535i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

When it rains, minimal water might get in the vents - should not be an issue though. Even larger vents shouldn't pose any problems, as long as they're not directly over electrical stuff (and even then probably not as long as you have all engine covers/module housings/etc in place.)

I had a vented hood on my GTO, functional and large vents right over the headers, and yeah I guess water would sometimes drop down onto the engine, but never an issue. May just need to clean the areas under the vents more often.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by LessIsMore
When it rains, minimal water might get in the vents - should not be an issue though. Even larger vents shouldn't pose any problems, as long as they're not directly over electrical stuff (and even then probably not as long as you have all engine covers/module housings/etc in place.)

I had a vented hood on my GTO, functional and large vents right over the headers, and yeah I guess water would sometimes drop down onto the engine, but never an issue. May just need to clean the areas under the vents more often.
thanks for the info, I've always been curious if water would be an issue with those vents
Old 07-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I've seen a few and the price is a pretty wide range. Now I'm concerned that some of the lower prices may be poor quality such as wavy, bad fitment etc. I also stumbled across a few vents you can install yourself but obviously you would bending the large center raised area.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:23 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

I've seen a few and the price is a pretty wide range. Now I'm concerned that some of the lower prices may be poor quality such as wavy, bad fitment etc. I also stumbled across a few vents you can install yourself but obviously you would bending the large center raised area.
I am also thinking one of this hood as mine OEM needs repainting
Where did you see the vents for sale do you think that budy shop will be able to bent the middle to make raised look. Cutting and Installing vents seams doable. Wandering if anyone have done that conversion to OEM to GtR style hood or whatever it is called and what would be cheaper way?
Old 07-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

Well, the vents that i s looked at are for a M3, I'm not too excited about them though. The center portion of your hood cant be raised, this would really require a new hood. I came across a video where they are being installed on a Acura hood, but the method would be the same.
vents: IND - Gloss Black Hood Vents - E9X M3
Old 07-26-2013, 01:03 PM
New Members

My Ride: Modded GS4 / Modded 525i

The guys at Ranz did the custom work on this OEM hood which is on my 5

For my GS4, I bought a carbon fiber hood from VIS and the fit is really good

Old 07-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Members

Hey Tony, I too have been looking at hoods. From what I found, most of the vents are fixed, they look like they are removable but they are not. I think you are spot on when you say the cheaper ones may have poor fitment, i was looking at the extreme dimensions hood, which is their special blend of materials (go to their site and read it, sounds interesting), I was looking into wrapping just the vents in carbon (if possible) and painting the rest. But I found some bad reviews about their fitment. Their is a member on here who not too long ago posted pics of his hood of TDA Motorsports and it had a slight gap in it. Me, I am leaning more torwards the XTS hood, it definitely is noticeable but not too much like the four vented one. The search continues, let me know if you find something. I am subscribed!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

[QUOTE=smooth0033;1514259]The guys at Ranz did the custom work on this OEM hood which is on my 5

its this hood just paint 3d or the are real vents?

Quick Reply: Hood vented GTR Style