E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

homemade scoop...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='822361
you are giving them more ideas!

Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of DIY
dude this is making my day.
homemade scoop...-retarded.jpg

Originally Posted by Ellicit' post='822366' date='Mar 20 2009, 03:58 PM
lol mike

VF might get pissed off tho'

I'm sure they wont do anything.. I'm not normal.. remember!
Old 03-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Contributors

i cant take this im bouncing from this thread

ptlonthisdamnthread/donezos
Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

Why don't we just THANK RPI for inventing and giving us the idea of the scoops for our cars!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by radzM550i' post='822438
I heard she is back at Naboo dealing with the Trade Federation.

I liked her too S, she seemed nice.
Since this thread was borked after the first page...

What a great actress. I really liked her in 'The professional' and 'V.'
Old 03-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by radzM550i' post='822438' date='Mar 20 2009, 04:02 PM
Why don't we just THANK RPI for inventing and giving us the idea of the scoops for our cars!!!!!!!
They didn't invent the scoop idea in general, the idea has been around for a long time, its not long the RPI is made out of any magical materials or formula. I'm not hating on RPI either, I have a scoop in my car, just saying.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by or_550i' post='822440' date='Mar 20 2009, 04:05 PM
Umm... Cause they didn't. If you look at the history of air scoops I'm pretty sure that Pontiac was the first ones to market the 'ram air' intake.

Since this thread was borked after the first page...

What a great actress. I really liked her in 'The professional' and 'V.'
And "Garden State", I liked her in that movie as well.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by or_550i' post='822440
And "Garden State", I liked her in that movie as well.
+1 and this... Natalie Portman
Old 03-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by tbal' post='821761
rofl I think so... funny thing is this guy (hamner) comes aboard, all his posts are to do with rpi, and he doesnt drive a bimmer. Why would you even be on this site. ROFL

Also newb, your sig is tad too big
I met mchamner when their m5 was brought to us. His dad is m5baller on the m5 forums. But yes, the sig needs to be smaller!

Originally Posted by tbal' post='821810' date='Mar 19 2009, 10:05 PM
lol ghetto yes.

praise... Im not planning on installing anything, just merely to prove something for myself. I dont really like the look of things behind the grills, takes away too much attention. If I decide to do anything related to scoops, I would do the DINAN intake.
It would be nice to set up a run when you get the dinan intake. The results may be pretty similar to the runs we have done here.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NOVAE60' post='821871
Good info thanks,

btw, mchamner works for RPI?
No he doesnt. I really dont need anyone to post on our behalf on the forums. Our products speak for itself. Those who dont believe in something we make? Well thats their decision. We always welcome people to come, dyno and race our customers.

Originally Posted by tbal' post='821875
Ok Ok I can't take this anymore

The problem was not that you guys wanted to DIY and see if it worked.

The problem was that some of the DIYers made assertive claims that the RPI scoop did "nothing" and that it was just a "gimmick" which is not true and there are PROVEN dynos on this. YOU guys started off by asserting that RPI was out to scam some people because this scoop issue was so simple that a mud pan could do the same thing.

Now some of the DIYers are saying that RPI is scamming people. Based on what? Nothing. Grow up man. A lot of R&D went into the design of the scoops to make sure they performed.

If you want to stick a friggin mud pan in your car go ahead and do it, nobobdy cares. What we do care about is when SOME people state that RPI scoops are "useless" and "a ripoff" when they have nothing to substantiate the claim.

Do you have any evidence that this guy even works for RPI? No you don't. Stop assuming that he does.

I think its awesome that you are trying something out to see what the result is and nobody is trying to stiffle it. What nobody wants to hear or see is that anymore making claims they have no basis for or any evidence.
Being an enthusiast myself, its hard to believe that $99 for 7whp is even a question. When RPi was started, I was in college and worked at Walmart for cents over minimum wage. I saved up for months and bought parts for my car only to realize later on that the parts did nothing to give me more hp and in some cases, I lost power. RPi was started as a consumer reports type of business. We wanted to make REAL products with REAL results. When we price items out, we have to factor in the amount of R&D that goes into the product as well as material and labor costs. Our scoops are made of aluminum, not tin, and inspected by ME personally (YES, I CHECK EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE PERSONALLY), tig welded and powdercoated. Those who are familiar with welding will know how hard it is to tig weld aluminum, especially when its thin aluminum like our scoops are. That coupled with dyno proven results, we did not think $99 was a bad price. I thought to myself, if I was working for minimum wage, would I pay $99 for 7whp? Yes, I would. NO one gets ripped off by RPi and no one will ever get ripped off.

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='822127' date='Mar 20 2009, 09:09 AM
i dunno about that. I have never seen a patent number

RPI or $2 scoops, i chose RPI since it's proven. Pretty sure a $2 scoop can duplicate the results if made correctly.

will this thread be another thread i can eat popcorn while reading? What's the big deal? $100 RPI scoops and $2 DIY scoops? If you're a car enthusiast, you like to make things yourself. Has anyone made their own subwoofer box instead of buying one? You guys know the answer.
We dont have a patent number yet but we do have the filing number that was given to us in 2006. These things take time. The truth of the matter is, no one would be making anything like this if we didnt come up with it and prove it on the dyno. I dont mind someone trying to make their own scoop. Its just unfair to compare the home made scoops to what is made here on a car on the dyno with 40+ miles of dyno time.

With that, can we get some love on the forums? Why all the drama? If someone doesnt like the scoop, thats fine. If someone thinks one way is better or the other, bring it on. There is nothing wrong with a few runs done in fun. Just dont dissappear or not show up to your own challenge.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='822505' date='Mar 20 2009, 03:20 PM
They didn't invent the scoop idea in general, the idea has been around for a long time, its not long the RPI is made out of any magical materials or formula. I'm not hating on RPI either, I have a scoop in my car, just saying.
The concept of ram air has been around for ages. We were the first to incorporate it as an aftermarket intake system for modern cars though. While people like AFE, Fujita, etc. scam people with what they call "cold air intakes" which are really hot air intakes, we wanted to introduce a new way of how people see aftermarket intake performance. Even intake companies that bring induction filters to wheelwells or other out of engine bay locations dont tell you that putting intake filters in low pressure regions arent any better. Remember, we are a company of enthusiasts so we make parts for our OWN cars. We use all the same things we offer our customers. We offer pricing to all our customers that we, ourselves would be willing to pay. NO RPi product has ever been imported from Asia nor will it ever. We design and make everything here. People ask why the prices are so low compared to other brands and the answer is stated above. No, I dont want to pay $3500 for mufflers for my M5 that dont even really give me power. No, I dont want to pay $200-300 on an intake that would cause me to lose power and only make me think I gained power on cold days.

BTW, Garden State was OK.

Quick Reply: homemade scoop...