E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

High beam halogen to xenon

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I have an 2004 E60 with bixenon headlights and have two questions:

1. My xenon lights turn on for the low beams and the bixenon turn on when I activate the high beams. Is there a way to make the bixenon also turn on when I do a flash ? (I understand that is how they work on the LCI model)
2. Has anyone changed the halogen lamps that are used for flashing to xenon ?

Thanks,
Andrei.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ralfy' post='913749' date='Jun 16 2009, 07:32 PM
Hello,

I have an 2004 E60 with bixenon headlights and have two questions:

1. My xenon lights turn on for the low beams and the bixenon turn on when I activate the high beams. Is there a way to make the bixenon also turn on when I do a flash ? (I understand that is how they work on the LCI model)
2. Has anyone changed the halogen lamps that are used for flashing to xenon ?

Thanks,
Andrei.
Andrei, there is a simple mod for that. A BMW technician done it for me. I will get in touch with him tomorrow and I will post some pictures. The process as I remember it is simple, takes about 5 minutes. All you will have to do is join some wires going into the headlight. This works for Pre-LCI headlights with factory fitted bi-xenon. Will get back with pics.
I recently upgraded to HID Xenons in the hi-beam and on the fog lights. Fog lights work like a charm.... almost all kits work, you only need to make sure they don't interfere with the parktronic sensors.
Hi-beams is a different story, 2 guys worked for 5 hours to make them work, and not without trade offs. To make them stay lit, we had to use condensers. With condensers they interfere with the factory bi-xenon. When you turn on the car and the computer does the checks, your factory bi-xenon would flash about 10 times. During operation, when flashing, the facotry bi-xenon "sticks" for about a second before going back to low-beam.
I have now ordered a new set of Xenons from John (brabusw209amg) along with a relay kit and I hope that will do the trick and make the hi-beam play nice with the factory bi-xenons. But, as John said, there's no guarantee with DRL cars (my case).
Traian
Old 07-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

What's the difference between Xenon and Bi-Xenon?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by tprenaldo' post='937269' date='Jul 9 2009, 08:25 AM
What's the difference between Xenon and Bi-Xenon?
+1 - good question. I have Xenon (Bi-Xenon?) on my low beams as well, but my highs are halogen.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Members

The difference between Xenon and Bi-Xenon is that when you turn on the Hi-Beams (push the light switch), only your Halogens light up with Xenon, with Bi-Xenon your Halogens light up and your Xenon lens opens up more and gives more light.
Basically, with Xenon you only have Xenon for Low-Beam and you have a fixed flap inside the lens that limits the light output to Low-Beam.
Bi-Xenon works on the principle of a mechanical flap inside the Xenon lens, that limits light output in Low-Beam and opens up on Hi-Beam, gixing you more light. So, with Bi-Xenon you have Xenon for both Low and High beam.
To test if you have Bi-Xenons on a Pre-LCI E60, have the car facing a wall, turn on low-beams, then flash (pull the light swich towards you). Remember the light output, then turn on Hi-Beam (push the switch like you want to leave the Hi-Beams on). If the light output increased (there's a big difference) you have Bi-Xenons. You can also have someone else stay in the car and play with the lights, while you stay in front and observe the factory xenon lens. If you see the lens open up in Hi-Beam, you have Bi-Xenon.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims

Originally Posted by terente0081' post='937312' date='Jul 9 2009, 11:51 AM
The difference between Xenon and Bi-Xenon is that when you turn on the Hi-Beams (push the light switch), only your Halogens light up with Xenon, with Bi-Xenon your Halogens light up and your Xenon lens opens up more and gives more light.
Basically, with Xenon you only have Xenon for Low-Beam and you have a fixed flap inside the lens that limits the light output to Low-Beam.
Bi-Xenon works on the principle of a mechanical flap inside the Xenon lens, that limits light output in Low-Beam and opens up on Hi-Beam, gixing you more light. So, with Bi-Xenon you have Xenon for both Low and High beam.
To test if you have Bi-Xenons on a Pre-LCI E60, have the car facing a wall, turn on low-beams, then flash (pull the light swich towards you). Remember the light output, then turn on Hi-Beam (push the switch like you want to leave the Hi-Beams on). If the light output increased (there's a big difference) you have Bi-Xenons. You can also have someone else stay in the car and play with the lights, while you stay in front and observe the factory xenon lens. If you see the lens open up in Hi-Beam, you have Bi-Xenon.
I thought halogens were non-xenon Then if you upgraded your light package you got xenons Now Bi-xenons exist Someone help me here. I'm not sure what I've purchased I've got xenon headlights, Halogen free-form low-beam headlights and foglights; thats what is written on my 2005 sticker!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Members

tprenaldo, I don't know about the LCI models, but all Pre-LCI models with factory Xenon are like that. We have a Xenon lens, halogen light for high beam and halogen for fog lights.
Even so, some cars with factory xenon have bi-xenon. What that means is that when you turn on the high beam, not only the halogen lights lights up, but the xenon lens opens up more as well. That is Bi-Xenon because you have 2 intensities of light coming from the Xenon lens, depending wether you are in low or high beam.

PS. I bought my car and drove it 6 months without knowing I have Bi-Xenon. Then, a friend of mine got an E60 as well and he was telling me he has Bi-Xenon. I was all sad and blue and said I don't have it. He said he doesn't believe that and we went to check it out. He sat in front of the car and instructed me to turn on the engine, turn on low beam and then turn on high-beam (not flash, turn it on). He then laughed and said I DO have Bi-Xenon... he then explained me the difference and I saw it as well. I haven't seen it before because I rarely turn on the high-beams. I mostly use the hi-beam to flash. On Pre-LCI, when you flash, the Bi-Xenon does not work without the mod the BMW technician has done.
On Pre-LCI Bi-Xenon only works when turning on the High-beam, not flashing.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by terente0081' post='937329' date='Jul 9 2009, 09:09 AM
tprenaldo, I don't know about the LCI models, but all Pre-LCI models with factory Xenon are like that. We have a Xenon lens, halogen light for high beam and halogen for fog lights.
Even so, some cars with factory xenon have bi-xenon. What that means is that when you turn on the high beam, not only the halogen lights lights up, but the xenon lens opens up more as well. That is Bi-Xenon because you have 2 intensities of light coming from the Xenon lens, depending wether you are in low or high beam.

+1 good explanation. Now I have something to check tonight, because I think when I bought my car Bi-Xenon was a listed feature.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Contributors

Sooooooooo, is that a good thing or bad thing I've already matched (to the best of my ability) my fogs with my xenon headlights with Hoen 9006. Is there anymore of an upgrade to the headlights?
Old 07-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tprenaldo' post='937334' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:14 PM
Sooooooooo, is that a good thing or bad thing I've already matched (to the best of my ability) my fogs with my xenon headlights with Hoen 9006. Is there anymore of an upgrade to the headlights?
You can fit HID Xenon instead of the factory Halogens in the Hi-Beam spot as well. I have done that, but it's a trade off. You may get some errors and some odd flashing (strobe effect) during startup.
I have ordered new parts... new Xenon kits for High and Fogs, relay kit to use on the Highs, error cancelling plugs just in case.
So, now I have factory Bi-Xenon + Xenon high beam + Xenon fog lights. I have Quad Xenon

Quick Reply: High beam halogen to xenon