E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HIFI OEM subs and what type of amp do I need

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I just spent about 3 hours reading posts learning all about our audio systems in our cars-was a good read but I am very not technical so I will take this to a car audio shop.

I dont want them to have to rip seats out etc to find what kind of subs are there. Is there info from the stock (non L7) subs that I need to know in order to tell them-for example will they need info about the stock subs in order to choose the proper amp?

Like what power amp is appropriate to drive the stock HIFI subs under the seats?

I guess any technical data that would be needed to tell to an audio shop in order to get the best equipment-since I dont know what I am doing!
Old 09-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I would not add an aftermarket amp to power the stock subs, you are probably better off adding and amp and additional subs in the trunk. That is what I did. It was easier and less expensive. The stock "subs" are really more like mid-bass speakers and will never produce the low freqs very well. They can make a decent mid bass with a different sub setup in the trunk. Just MHO. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1000598' date='Sep 7 2009, 03:18 AM
I would not add an aftermarket amp to power the stock subs, you are probably better off adding and amp and additional subs in the trunk. That is what I did. It was easier and less expensive. The stock "subs" are really more like mid-bass speakers and will never produce the low freqs very well. They can make a decent mid bass with a different sub setup in the trunk. Just MHO. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:22 AM
Banned

Actually reading through virtually everypost I could find on here regarding upgrading audi-the vast majority was to NOT put them in the trunk due to the fact our trunks are so well sealed that you do not get the bass through into the car.

I also do not want a lot of low base-I like hte mid range base the 8 inch OEM ones give-its just at louder levels it gets bad-which I need more power to them so I can keep the bass control down on idrive, play it loud and use the amp power to control the base independantly with enough power.

Many recomended this-I just need to have an answer to my question not advice one other options
Old 09-07-2009, 05:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i, 6spd manual, Premium pkg, Cold Weather pkg

Originally Posted by Diamond' post='1000724' date='Sep 7 2009, 09:22 AM
Actually reading through virtually everypost I could find on here regarding upgrading audi-the vast majority was to NOT put them in the trunk due to the fact our trunks are so well sealed that you do not get the bass through into the car.

I also do not want a lot of low base-I like hte mid range base the 8 inch OEM ones give-its just at louder levels it gets bad-which I need more power to them so I can keep the bass control down on idrive, play it loud and use the amp power to control the base independantly with enough power.

Many recomended this-I just need to have an answer to my question not advice one other options
I've got two 12's in the trunk. I'm hearing and feeling the bass just fine!

If you want mid-range/hard hitting bass, go with 10's. You're right, our trunks are very well sealed. That's why I went with two.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:09 AM
Banned

I guess I will re-phrase-I have already decided to start with the amp based on messages I read on here that just doing that was signifigantly better and I already like my basic HIFI system. All I need to know is there some piece of info about the 8 inch subs under the seats that the installer will have to know in order to choose the right amp