E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

HIDs in LCI Halogen - Beam Pattern

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 525d MSport 19" 172s Leather - Heated No-Nav, M-ASK, MP3 Playback, BMW Ipod Interface, CD-Prep

Can someone with LCI halogens with HIDs fitted tell me if they get the same beam pattern on the drivers side headlight as I seem to have? Right hand drive if possible.

I've fitted my HID kit and after getting the bulbs the right way up (to stop the return wire casting a large shadow on the ground), I'm finding a bit of hot-spotting on the drivers side beam pattern, and the kick-up on the lights is fuzzy compared to the passengers side.

See in the picture how the left hand light has a very cleanly defined kick-up moving right to left, but the other one is a bit fuzzy. Also notice the bright flaring on the right compared with the left. When driving it is even more noticeable as it acts like a single searchlight beam.

Surely both should be the same???
Attached Thumbnails HIDs in LCI Halogen - Beam Pattern-dsc00356.jpg  
Old 11-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 525d MSport 19" 172s Leather - Heated No-Nav, M-ASK, MP3 Playback, BMW Ipod Interface, CD-Prep

Should also say that I've had the alignment checked by a garage so I know it's not that!
Old 11-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

I have hids in my LCI halogens and my beam is perfect. I did nothing special.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

We figured out is the bulb. The bulb was not made exactly perpendicular. Could happen from shipping, install, handling, who knows? But most likely MANUFACTURER since the bulb is plastic welded onto the base.

I told Craig to try to bend the bulb and but try not to crack it. I've bent them slightly before without a problem.

Craig, I replied your email. I'll be sending you an EXTRA set of bulbs instead of one. I have your address and need to confirm it again.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
We figured out is the bulb. The bulb was not made exactly perpendicular. Could happen from shipping, install, handling, who knows? But most likely MANUFACTURER since the bulb is plastic welded onto the base.

I told Craig to try to bend the bulb and but try not to crack it. I've bent them slightly before without a problem.

Craig, I replied your email. I'll be sending you an EXTRA set of bulbs instead of one. I have your address and need to confirm it again.
+1

This is exactly why you should buy your lighting from respected vendors like John. He is an outstanding vendor and stands buy the quality of his products. Had an issue with an HID ballast and he replaced it under warranty, no questions.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg

Yeah, I tried the bending idea, but it didn't work - the glass broke inside the glue and the bulb is loose now.

I'm confident the new bulbs will fix the problem though. John has promised to inspect them and only send the ones that are accurate to 0.00001 degrees!