E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

hids

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 07:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi i am wondering if anyone put hids on e60 lci model 08 year and have no problems as i am hearing all sorts of reports they are h 7 type and hb 4 for fogs can you get hb 4 without needing resistors also wondering about 6000k or 4300k thanks for any replys
Old 03-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

H7 low beam, you can put HID inside because we have projectors in our halogen headlights. Fogs are H8. You need the error cancel cables (resistors)....or you can code out the error.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:49 AM
New Members

I just installed NOTTO-SE 5000K H7's on my 08 E60. Looks great and works perfect, no error codes so far.
Make sure you install the cancellers as the obove poster has stated so you dont get a bulb out warning. Try to mount ballast far away as possible from the tires or your TPM will trip stated a malfunction due to frequency interference. I wrapped my ballast in tin foil to help with that. I used a tie strap to keep the HID h7 in place you can also buy an adapter for the bulb to lock in the housing thise are around $30 for a pair on the bay. 5000k is white with a slight tint of blue, if you like them really blue go higher than 5000k.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:51 AM
New Members

I drilled a 1 inch hole on the plastic blub covers to pass the wires through to the ballast. These covers are replaceable from the dealer and cost around $7.00
Old 03-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Members

tanks guys any more replys
Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

You can add HIDs to your bulbs. You can do anything so long as you are inclined to do so. Resistor is always a must unless you code your car to not throw errors. I've never heard of a ballast throwing off a TPMS but not saying it's not possible. HID's surely are digital but they do not communicate with anything so I don't see how frequency would have any affect to this. Even so, personally I wouldnt be wrapping in a conductor film like tin foil but rather an electrostatic film such as an electrical felt. Anyone care to chime in?
Old 03-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I have actually heard of ballasts giving off EMI, but only heard of such from cheaper kits. Which, additionally, is why they require resistor or error cancellors as well.

Honestly I would just spend the money and have the peace of mind of not having to worry about electrical components. Another thing, I don't think wrapping it in foil is a good idea. The reason is that some/cheap ballasts tend to get hot, and wrapping it in foil will just insulate the heat potentially terminating its life even quicker or worse, causing fire hazard.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I don't think wrapping it in foil is a good idea. The reason is that some/cheap ballasts tend to get hot, and wrapping it in foil will just insulate the heat potentially terminating its life even quicker or worse, causing fire hazard.
DOH! I didn't want to say it. I used "conductive" and kept out "insulating" lol
Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

I?ve seen ballast do some weird stuff. Even causing an E320 to have a extremely hard pedal and code up the ABS system. Most times when I see this stuff is because the power leads were tapped into something they should not have been. Make sure if you are tapping alternate power to get it from a clean source like the battery jumper lead off the shock tower and fuse it.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Members

My Ride: '08 528i, Premium, Nav, heated seats, iPod, Xenon

I've installed Euro EFX's 35w can-bus kit on my '08. What an improvement over my halogens!! I had to cancel my DRLs thought because of problems with only one light coming on instead of both. The can-bus eliminates any error codes.

Quick Reply: hids